Telford and Worcester 16th July 2016

Two good wins today and a good run around for the players. Hopefully Di Matteo is starting to get a good idea of who he wants and doesn't want going into the new season, which is only three weeks away.

Having arrived from his earlier commitment in Telford, Di Matteo made four changes at half time.

Stiliyan Petrov, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Joleon Lescott and Carles Gil came on for Tshibola, Kozak, Lescott and Veretout.

RDM has already made Lescott twice the player.......thanks BEM :blink:

• Like 3

What I took from today... Cissokho and especially Sinclair have no future hete

i personally think preseason is hard to judge how good people are but it'll highlight how shit people are....step forward Scott Sinclair 

elphicks composure was awesome, suliman and green looked exciting for times ahead 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The only deluded one is you if you believe that.

Sending a team out with the only goal being to beat Telford in a pre-season match would be moronic. That's not what they're for.

Aaaahhh, the annual summer holiday debate on whether results in friendlies "means anything". On the face of it; of course they do not, no points are gained or lost. On the other hand; I strongly believe it says something about a team's culture and whether the players and management "accept" losing. Of course, when playing Telford it is not the main aim to win.  However, if you lose, and then lose more matches in preseason against lower teams, it does not help the general mood. Especially for a team/club like Villa who has produced loosers and loosing teams for years I do believe that results in preseason, at least taken as a whole, are indeed important. This club and these players need to learn to win and learn to understand that underachievement is no longer acceptable. If these players perform as they should, we do not lose preseason games against lower opposition. Besides, I just hate seing the great Aston Villa lose any game.... 

27 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We signed him from non-league, Biggleswade Town,

Biggleswade Town, lol, that's like the perfect example of a quaint English football club name. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hughes said:

Aaaahhh, the annual summer holiday debate on whether results in friendlies "means anything". On the face of it; of course they do not, no points are gained or lost. On the other hand; I strongly believe it says something about a team's culture and whether the players and management "accept" losing. Of course, when playing Telford it is not the main aim to win.  However, if you lose, and then lose more matches in preseason against lower teams, it does not help the general mood. Especially for a team/club like Villa who has produced loosers and loosing teams for years I do believe that results in preseason, at least taken as a whole, are indeed important. This club and these players need to learn to win and learn to understand that underachievement is no longer acceptable. If these players perform as they should, we do not lose preseason games against lower opposition. Besides, I just hate seing the great Aston Villa lose any game.... 

As someone has already pointed out, RDM's pre-season with West Brom involved a shit load of losses against crap teams. They then won their first 8 Championship games in a row.

They're meaningless.

IMO, the main reason for pre-season games is primarily fitness, combined with working on tactics/formations and bedding in new players.

Whilst winning is not everything in these training matches, it is also good to get that winning feeling and confidence into the squad, with players scoring freely and chances created.

This is the time to try new formations out - some will work, others won't and there's the chance we don't perform. I would rather have this and a loss in a pre-season friendly than midway through the season and dropping valuable points.

Ultimately, pre-season is a bit about both (fitness and winning) but the fitness and tactics are the main concern as this is what will drag us through a whole season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Will the highlights be on AVTV?

If it's anything like the GAK game they will just put the highlights/goals on Facebook. It took like 2-3 days for them to get them uploaded from the match at GAK so I would assume Tuesday/Wednesday if they are going to bother. 

Â