Telford and Worcester 16th July 2016

Personally, I watched today's friendly to try and gauge which players seem the most invested in playing for us. The logic being if they're prepared to make the effort in a friendly, they should be likely to make an effort in the season. 

So today, the fact that Ayew was seemingly everywhere (particularly the second half) suggests he cared about doing a good job for us. 

Either that or he's putting on a good show for his new club. It's not fool-proof logic admittedly. :P

The result isn't really important (but it is nice to see us win a damn game).

What I would be a little concerned about (and I am aware of the need for patience having preached it myself) is that if anyone had suggested to me at the end of last season we would have new ownership and management, but still be fielding the same players, I would have been horrified.

I know there is time, I know Rome wasn't built in a day. I know targets will be assessing other options, and our rejects will in themselves be considered carefully by other Clubs, maybe even right up until the window shuts. 

And I know the dangers of creating a bomb squad, hence the (unfortunate) need to keep those guys included (at least I hope that's the reason).

I know we've bought 2 (definitely) good players and a GK who is well thought of, but I would feel about 5000000% better had we shipped out 2 or 3 of the wasters and had an extra 2 or 3 in. Apart from anything else it would show me/us/ and importantly the players, that RDM means business and understands what happened last year.

Just lingering at the back of my mind is the horrible thought that, just as England Manager after Manager tried the Gerrard/ Lampard thing in the face of evidence, that RDM might just possibly be telling himself he can get something hitherto undiscovered from, in particular, the six or seven players from last year that need to go.

One or two friends have also noticeably begun to mellow in their views of these guys, as Time does funny things to memories and emotions.  I do hope my fears are unfounded.

• Like 1

" Agbonlahor showed a burst of pace reminiscent of old to power past his marker, only to screw his cross over the clubhouse before glancing accusingly at the playing surface "

Yes Gabby the playing surface was the reason.. 

• Like 2

Â