Telford and Worcester 16th July 2016

Was it not José Mourinho who when he first joined Chelsea, said that one of the first things he tried to get into the players was that winning is the most important thing even in a friendly game and he didn't like the idea of them being matches for fitness only, for what it's worth I think O'Neill said something similar. You can try different formations, and team selections and still have winning as the main priority.

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

cheers

Brum mail mentioned Leavitt coming on?? Who is that? Did they spell Lescott really wrong?

Hahaha! I didn't even notice that, but yeah that was Lescott coming on.. How does anyone spell Lescott that wrong? Haha.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Any top class manager will tell you otherwise. Win the game and everything else will come after.

Which top class managers have you been talking to?

• Like 2

It's alright saying winning isn't important when we've won. But if we'd have lost all our friendlies having tried new formations and team selections, people would be on here fretting about the new season, saying things like 'I know it's only friendly but this team can't seem to buy a win' or words to that affect.

• Like 1

I do think these question are rather daft. You don't  have to speak to people going into a game of any sort in any sport to know that the most important thing is to win. It's human nature.

Aston Villa produced a five star show in the sunshine at Stourport to beat Worcester City 5-1.

Matt Birley struck first for Worcester, but goals from Jack Grealish, Libor Kozak, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Keinan Davies eased Villa to victory.

Stiliyan Petrov received a wonderful reception from the crowd at Walshes Meadow.

Villa started in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Mark Bunn was in goal behind a back four of Alan Hutton, Jores Okore, Kevin Toner and Joe Bennett. Gary Gardner and Aaron Tshibola were the holding midfielders. Then it was Gabby Agbonlahor, Jordan Veretout and Grealish behind Kozak.

Birley opened the scoring on seven minutes when he smashed a free kick into the top left corner from 25 yards.

Moments earlier Mark Bunn had produced a stunning reflex save to stop Kyle Perry’s header but there was nothing the Villa keeper could do to reach Birley's effort, let alone save it.

But Villa were only behind for four minutes.

Grealish, who had already been denied by a save and a block, made it third time lucky to level on 11 minutes. He showed close control to work space for a shot and composure to stroke the ball inside the left hand post.

Kozak put Villa in front on. Hutton, wearing the captain’s armband, crossed from the right and Kozak climbed to thunder in a header.

The big Czech might have helped himself to a hat-trick but was denied at the near post by the keeper and headed another great chance from a corner over.

Having arrived from his earlier commitment in Telford, Di Matteo made four changes at half time.

Stiliyan Petrov, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Joleon Lescott and Carles Gil came on for Tshibola, Kozak, Lescott and Veretout.

There was an emotional moment when Petrov received loud cheers and warm applause as he strolled out for the second half.

Hepburn-Murphy, who also played at Telford, added a third goal early in the second half and it was a beauty. He ran from half way, using pace and power to beat several defenders and advancing into the area to finish cooly.

His fellow sub Davies grabbed a brace with two close range finishes with Hepburn Murphy and Lescott claiming assists.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/worcester-city-1-aston-villa-11624400

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

" Agbonlahor showed a burst of pace reminiscent of old to power past his marker, only to screw his cross over the clubhouse before glancing accusingly at the playing surface "

Also reminiscent of old.

Invest in spectacles, never said I wouldn't look out of place as a player just that I wouldn't be hilariously bad. And I sort of joking when saying I speak from the perspective of a top class manager, albeit there's probably an element of truth to the statement.

Edited by useless
And when I say there's an element of truth to the statement I don't mean to suggest I'm a top class manager.
  • Like 1

Â