Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

One can reel out all the cliches

Rome.....

Patience.....

Time to gel.......

BUT!!

The real McCoy is

We have a manager who after 7 league games & 1 cup game has set his own pattern of going in himself and resorting to a "type"

If the pressure and expectation is too much for him and he can't stand up to be counted, then no amount of money, time or patience can help him.

If he is as good as "shot" then its already time for him to go.

RDM - do the honourable thing.

He needs to stop over complicating the tactics.

In his autobiography Roy Keane made a good point when he said the championship isn't about tactics. It's about havin characters and leading them properly.

i think there is a lot of truth in that. We have good enough players to get promoted and I don't have concerns about their character but they are being led badly. 

I'd like us to get simple. 442. Plenty of teams in the championship play 442 and currently sit above us. I don't see Barnsley playing 424 or 4231. Let's get Two banks of four and two wingers. Amavi left and Adomah right. Jedinak in the middle alongside Ayew (only real ball playing option) and Ross and Kodjia up top.

A Much more solid formation off the ball and provides real width and pace to get at teams.

Theres a reason Warnock et al make a name for themselves in the championship. It's because they know how to do the simple things well and not over complicate what is a very simple league in terms of footballing philosophy.

RDM is providing us with a casserole of nonsense at the moment.

Edited by sonic_bouma
  • Like 1

To the people defending RDM and saying "give him time". People said that about Garde and it only got worse. People said that about Lambert and it only got worse.

This isnt a season where avoiding relegation is the priority (although it will be soon at this rate). The priority is getting promoted. If we dont act now then the season is a write-off for that and its **** September.

I had time for RDM before he took this job, now I actually hate him and his stupid gormless face.

6 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Second half, did he go to a 4-4-2 formation with Amavi left and Ayew right with Kodjia and Gestede down the middle? If not, that seems a bit of a silly thing to not do that with the players at his disposal. 

Start of second half Ayew dropped into the middle just behind Gestede with Kodija right and Amavi left although they swapped over on a number of occasions.

Kodija starting position was also very deep which would not be natural to him so something he must have been told at half time to do. This contributed to Brentford pushing us back as we were sitting way too deep. We needed to start the second half on the front foot and go all out for the second. We did the opposite though and invited Brentford onto us and the inevitable happened.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'd give him 3 more league games, I think 10 games is a fair period for him to be judged given our ambitions.

Rightly or wrongly I think that is what he will get. We fail to win in the next three then I would not be a bit surprised if he got the push.

In the summer I felt this was a long project. But after seeing the way we've played in most games, this team have the potential to go up this season. That for me is why my opinion on how long he gets is changing. He's built the team and yes he's been unlucky but results have to start coming for us. 

• Like 1

Getting rid of RDM this early is crazy talk ,what we need is stability been to much chopping and changing of managers in the last few years ,yes our results will have to improve but we very easily could be top if we held onto our leads all it needs is a couple of wins and we will go on a run ,there is countless examples of teams in the champ being nowhere at Xmas and going on a long unbeaten run and get promoted ,I wouldn't even look at the table this early in the year 20/25 games in is when we need to be getting worried if we are not showing signs of putting a run together would much prefer us finishing strong than starting strong and running out of steam very long season there yet.

• Like 1

You can ask forwards to play in midfield but their instinct will always push them into forward positions.

We may have missed out on some midfielders in the window? Ultimately without replacements we should not have let Sanchez and Vererout go on loan, they wasn't that grear last year but neither was Gana.

I'm worried, I can't see the logic used for these decisions, did he pick the players we brought? How can we have spent so much on forwards and neglected to buy more midfielders 

He does need  more time to show if he can sort these problems out. But I'm not sure he has the tools to do it.

22 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

He needs to stop over complicating the tactics.

In his autobiography Roy Keane made a good point when he said the championship isn't about tactics. It's about havin characters and leading them properly.

i think there is a lot of truth in that. We have good enough players to get promoted and I don't have concerns about their character but they are being led badly. 

I'd like us to get simple. 442. Plenty of teams in the championship play 442 and currently sit above us. I don't see Barnsley playing 424 or 4231. Let's get Two banks of four and two wingers. Amavi left and Adomah right. Jedinak in the middle alongside Ayew (only real ball playing option) and Ross and Kodjia up top.

A Much more solid formation off the ball and provides real width and pace to get at teams.

Theres a reason Warnock et al make a name for themselves in the championship. It's because they know how to do the simple things well and not over complicate what is a very simple league in terms of footballing philosophy.

RDM is providing us with a casserole of nonsense at the moment.

Point very well made. 4 4 2 it isn't rocket science 

I believe a manager should be given more time, so I'm not in the sack him immediately camp ( though Xia just might be the trigger happy type ), however, looking at the way he sets his teams up and his tactics in isolation he seems like a chancer to me.

Consistently setting up with people out of position, not only reactionary, but from the get go, consistently failing to make positive impact at halftime, failing to protect leads, allowing cheap late goals, this is down to the manager. IMO our squad is very unbalanced, but it's the manager who has cost them points. You'd have to wonder though, why would we have such an unbalanced squad after having 50 mil to spend. You shouldn't have to resort to playing LBs as wings, strikers as wings and whatnot. Not even going to comment on the laughable 4-2-4 tactics. He seems like he's trying to stumble onto something that works, just like Sherwood was happy enough to admit. 

10 minutes ago, gatecrasha said:

Midfield in a 4 4 2

Adomah jedi tsish amavi/ grealish 

Then pick 2 out our 4 strikers with 2 on the bench giving options 

Easy 

Adomah and Grealish are both attacking wingers though, which would push us still towards the 424 we are currently doing. I'd go 352. Put baker alongside elphick and Chester.

Â