Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

We won't get anywhere if we keep sacking managers

Equally if we keep employing the wrong managers - we won't progress.

I think we (Tony) should acknowledge his mistake with RDM. He has no experience of building a team from the ground up. Any success he has had has been with a team assembled by someone else.

I think we should get rid pretty pronto - its more correcting a mistake - than sacking a manager.

• Like 1

3-5-2 would be the formation I'd use with Bacuna and Amavi as wing backs. Jedinak in CM next to either Westwood/Tshibola/Gardner depending on form, fitness & who we are playing. McCormack in the creative role behind Kozak or Kodjia or possibly both. I'd bring Jerrell Sellars into the fold as I think he would complement Kozak perfectly and has the potential to be the goal poacher we have been missing.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

We won't get anywhere if we keep sacking managers

Equally if we keep employing the wrong managers - we won't progress.

I think we (Tony) should acknowledge his mistake with RDM. He has no experience of building a team from the ground up. Any success he has had has been with a team assembled by someone else.

I think we should get rid pretty pronto - its more correcting a mistake - than sacking a manager.

We wont get anywhere if we keep sacking managers

I think we should get rid prerty pronto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

No midfield, no party.

Really is that simple.

Goes deeper than that. The manager arrived in good time and had sufficient funds to assemble such a midfield.  For me fixing this goes beyond hanging around until January then slotting a couple a midfielders - thats papering over the cracks. 

• Like 2

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

We wont get anywhere if we keep sacking managers

I think we should get rid prerty pronto.

My point was we have no option but to keep sacking them - if we employ the wrong one in the first place.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Start of second half Ayew dropped into the middle just behind Gestede with Kodija right and Amavi left although they swapped over on a number of occasions.

Kodija starting position was also very deep which would not be natural to him so something he must have been told at half time to do. This contributed to Brentford pushing us back as we were sitting way too deep. We needed to start the second half on the front foot and go all out for the second. We did the opposite though and invited Brentford onto us and the inevitable happened.

Spot on. You could see there was a complete reluctance to push up and press the opposition when they had the ball – at least until they reached the half way line. I still think RDM needs time, but he needs to learn fast that we are better on the front foot.  Our midfield needs to sit around the half way line (no deeper), our forwards need to be in the opposition half pushing them back causing them problems our back four need to push up and just do their jobs - that is how we should play regardless of the score.  What is frustrating is when we start a game you almost know we are going to dominate possession and score – the opposition don’t get a sniff.  They are outplayed in every department.  Then we take the lead and change - trying to defend deep, inviting the opposition to keep coming at us wave after wave. Their confidence grows, their fans get up, they get a lucky break, they score and we have no way back because we have gone into our shells and have lost our shape.  We are not playing Man City or Man Utd here; we should be at least aiming to dominate these matches and beating teams comfortably, not desperately holding on to 1-0. Attack attack, attack!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I know a lot of people will disagree but my expectations for this season were,

Get rid of the poison (pretty good job)

Get some better players in (pretty good job)

Start trying to actually score (pretty good job)

Not sack the manager within a few months and start conducting ourselves like a proper football club!

I still think we will get promoted but my realistic expectations are that if it doesn't happen this is will happen next season. 

Rome wasn't built in a day

(Insert however many cliches you like)

Blah blah blah

We were and absolute disgraceful pathetic utterly disappointing excuse for a football club.... we were so broken i can live with it taking time.

For now im happy with the fact I actually think we might win our next match. Which i hadn't believed for a long time.

Exactly, we achieved all the things we wanted.

However the net result is that in terms of points on the board we are just as bad as the previous 4 seasons.

I wasn't deluded enough to think we would go straight back up but after spending so much money I thought we would at least be winning regularly again.

There's been so many let downs and set backs over the last 5 years but I honestly feel like I'm at my lowest point as a Villa fan. It might all click soon and we'll go a winning run and fly up the table but with one win in 8 games now its really hard to see how that is possible.

RDM has another 3 league games to actually get some wins for me, we owe him no loyalty so if he's not doing it then get rid. We've assembled one of the best squads in the league now, there's no excuses.

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Midfield is incredibly poor

Sanchez should have been kept. think he would have been better in the slow tempo'd Championship. Certainly didnt think we would be relying on Westwood and Gardner when we got rid of him. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

Just now, hippo said:

My point was we have no option but to keep sacking them - if we employ the wrong one in the first place.

If i stopped watching every movie i didn't like after the first 10 minutes I would've missed out on some great movies....

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

In the summer I felt this was a long project. But after seeing the way we've played in most games, this team have the potential to go up this season. That for me is why my opinion on how long he gets is changing. He's built the team and yes he's been unlucky but results have to start coming for us. 

Does this make sense?

"In the summer I thought it would take a while but, having seen us play well under the manager, I think it's time we thought about moving him on".

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

He needs to stop over complicating the tactics.

I'd like us to get simple. 442. Plenty of teams in the championship play 442 and currently sit above us. I don't see Barnsley playing 424 or 4231. Let's get Two banks of four and two wingers. Amavi left and Adomah right. Jedinak in the middle alongside Ayew (only real ball playing option) and Ross and Kodjia up top.

I agree that we're not the right shape and simplifying would help. I'm not sure playing a striker in central midfield and a left back on the left side of midfield is the best way to do that. Our major problem is that we're struggling to be able to say we've got the players for 4-4-2 - Grealish and Bacuna are the most likely wide midfielders - behind them we've putting square pegs into round holes- Ayew has done okay out right, but he's not a midfielder, Amavi isn't either. We could line up in a 4-4-2, but I think we'd have to leave some of our better players out in order to accommodate the formation. The squad is unbalanced - it's no surprise that the team is too.

• Like 2

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

If i stopped watching every movie i didn't like after the first 10 minutes I would've missed out on some great movies....

Fair point.

If RDM had a track record of taking over a club in a mess - steadying the ship - then building a robust team - I would be more inclined to give him time. But I see nothing in his past to suggest he has done this in the past.

41 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Getting rid of RDM this early is crazy talk ,what we need is stability 

I cant believe people still peddle this nonsense. Stability with a shit manager is more insane that sacking someone after 8 games.

RDM is useless. This wont change in 10 games, 15 games, 46 games. Act now or by November we will be "building for next season".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

3-5-2 would be the formation I'd use with Bacuna and Amavi as wing backs. Jedinak in CM next to either Westwood/Tshibola/Gardner depending on form, fitness & who we are playing. McCormack in the creative role behind Kozak or Kodjia or possibly both. I'd bring Jerrell Sellars into the fold as I think he would complement Kozak perfectly and has the potential to be the goal poacher we have been missing.

Kozak?! What...

2 minutes ago, KSV said:

Sanchez should have been kept. think he would have been better in the slow tempo'd Championship. Certainly didnt think we would be relying on Westwood and Gardner when we got rid of him. 

I am at a complete loss as to how a manager who was a midfielder himself in successful teams could spend 50mil and yet leave us with Westwood still as a first choice when its a 2 man midfield.

Our midfield hopes are built on Tshibola who is still young and played the grand sum of 12 games in the league last season...over loading team with forwards won't work if they are all sitting deep.I also think th elack of mobility from the middle 2 means that the attacking 3 behind main striker are left doing too much defensive work.Your left with somehow trying to shoehorn in Ayew / Kodjia /McCormak /Gestede / Grealish/ Adomah but behind them options are limited.

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Depends who the director of the movie was. If James Cameron had a movie on at the same time.. i may switch channels ;)

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

One can reel out all the cliches

Rome.....

Patience.....

Time to gel.......

BUT!!

The real McCoy is

We have a manager who after 7 league games & 1 cup game has set his own pattern of going in himself and resorting to a "type"

If the pressure and expectation is too much for him and he can't stand up to be counted, then no amount of money, time or patience can help him.

If he is as good as "shot" then its already time for him to go.

RDM - do the honourable thing.

LOL!!

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

I am at a complete loss as to how a manager who was a midfielder himself in successful teams could spend 50mil and yet leave us with Westwood still as a first choice when its a 2 man midfield.

Our midfield hopes are built on Tshibola who is still young and played the grand sum of 12 games in the league last season...over loading team with forwards won't work if they are all sitting deep.I also think th elack of mobility from the middle 2 means that the attacking 3 behind main striker are left doing too much defensive work.Your left with somehow trying to shoehorn in Ayew / Kodjia /McCormak /Gestede / Grealish/ Adomah but behind them options are limited.

Exactly. I thought Tishbola would be a back up.. not relied as a regular. Expected someone like Mile to come.. but i really thought we would get another CM. Will Hughes would have been perfect. 

Â