Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

I m sure we can all cite a manager who did crap at first - but then suddenly turned it round. But those are the exception. 

I think we all know where this is going - its when not if - just how many more winless games we give RDM. 

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don't get what the competing thing is about - but we've "competed" with Huddersfield and Brentford and not lost. But yes, you're clearly very much blinded by the fact we've spent a lot of money and expect an instant return from that. I'll see where we are after maybe 20 games before deciding that our manager is shit and we're shit and wah wah wah.

Maybe you're right about Dr X not being as patient as me. I hope he is, though. I hope we don't have the next Cellino as an owner. It will only ever end terribly that way. 

Whoopdee-do! We've competed with giants like Huddersfield and Brentford and not lost. RDM must be doing a brilliant job!

Any championship team that spends £60m should rightly expect to be nearer the top of the table than the bottom, but the real problem is that there are no signs that we have the tools to put this right. RDM has overseen the spend and has left us with a woefully unbalanced squad.  Lots of forwards but few to win the ball, close down or create.

I had enormous patience with Lambert and Garde because they were working with limited resources - RDM has no such excuse and shows no sign that he has a plan or the ability to motivate

Give him 20 games and then see where we are!!!! With Ipswich, Newcastle and Barnsley up next he may be lucky to last 10. 

If I'm wrong about RDM I'll happily come back on here and say so. Sadly, I don't think I will be. He needs a win on Saturday and another against Newcastle or Barnsley to hang on to his job

49 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Getting rid of RDM this early is crazy talk ,what we need is stability been to much chopping and changing of managers in the last few years ,yes our results will have to improve but we very easily could be top if we held onto our leads all it needs is a couple of wins and we will go on a run ,there is countless examples of teams in the champ being nowhere at Xmas and going on a long unbeaten run and get promoted ,I wouldn't even look at the table this early in the year 20/25 games in is when we need to be getting worried if we are not showing signs of putting a run together would much prefer us finishing strong than starting strong and running out of steam very long season there yet.

Ask Brighton last season, 21 match unbeaten run start of the season, other teams, boro and Burnley nowhere to be seen.... Who goes and gets promoted, Boro and Burnley. 

We play well, we don't win. We play bad we don't win. It really is crap.

But if I am RDM I would spin this round and be like look guys we haven't won enough but you have done fantastically well keeping us unbeaten at home, protect that record make Villa Park a fortress again. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I cant believe people still peddle this nonsense. Stability with a shit manager is more insane that sacking someone after 8 games.

RDM is useless. This wont change in 10 games, 15 games, 46 games. Act now or by November we will be "building for next season".

Who would you get in instead of RDM ?

17 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If i stopped watching every movie i didn't like after the first 10 minutes I would've missed out on some great movies....

Best, summarisation. EVER! Also agree with your prior posts, i'm also as pissed off as everyone else but for them to deny the improvement is fallacy. Said a million times with our actual first choice ,XI I don't see which of these teams we would not have rolled over. 

It might take us longer, but I am sure we will get there.

I actually think we will steadily improve and climb the table whilst some of the others inevitably run out of steam and/or hit a rough patch.

We are not playing terribly, are creating chances etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Ask Brighton last season, 21 match unbeaten run start of the season, other teams, boro and Burnley nowhere to be seen.... Who goes and gets promoted, Boro and Burnley. 

Plenty of examples of this Sunderland did it a few seasons ago and so did Reading it happens constantly not saying we will do it but we have the potential to do it ,we are just drawing too many games at present .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The squad is unbalanced - it's no surprise that the team is too.

Having spent 60 odd mill then that is a damning indictment of the manger. Had he have had a limited budget you could understand it but having pretty much a free hand and a fortune at this level to spend it shouldn’t have resulted in an unbalanced squad.

I don’t think the personnel he is putting on the pitch is the main issue for me. It is the tendency for us to have attacking players on the pitch but then get them to sit back late in games that is the issue. Last night we did it for the whole of the second half and that is when the players on the pitch becomes an issue as asking Kodija to ensure his starting position is in our half and for him to track back is never going to work. Put the players on the pitch and ask them to play to their strengths. We had the players on the pitch to kill the game off last night. We came out with a negative attitude though in the second half, sat deep, invited Brentford onto us which resulted in the nervy finish and the ball becoming like a ticking bomb. The way we started the second half meant we got what we deserved in the end.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair point.

If RDM had a track record of taking over a club in a mess - steadying the ship - then building a robust team - I would be more inclined to give him time. But I see nothing in his past to suggest he has done this in the past.

Not sure there's been that many clubs in a mess such as ours. 

Its a hell of a job to take on, but he has identified players that we all agree have improved the team, it's literally just a matter of time before we start killing this league, but it will take time, might even be next season, it takes a lot more then shifting a few of the poison on and bringing in a few, a lot of the poison is still there that couldn't get shifted.

The club is trying to shift this losing mentality and you can see it's starting to turn. 

I'm quite excited to see how the seasons going to end and what happens next summer with RDM in charge. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think CM is the major problem at the moment. its not giving enough support to the defence, we need tish back asap and get westwood out 

That would improve things. But I don't see it as an answer to all our ills. 

Tick tock. 

While it would be admirable if we kept him keeping the idea of a 2 year project. If we don't get promoted with the money we have spent  the expectation will be for him to be fired.

He wasn't a choice I was a big fan of but ive been more than happy with the signings we have made and the dead wood he's gotten rid of. Obvious we need at least another winger and centre mid which will hopefully be done in January.

However I said 10 games to save his job yesterday which is now 9. Need to start winning games Robbie. 

44 minutes ago, KSV said:

Sanchez should have been kept. think he would have been better in the slow tempo'd Championship. Certainly didnt think we would be relying on Westwood and Gardner when we got rid of him. 

Agreed but sanchez was dogs doo.  Westwood brings nothing to the party and Gardner is never a holding midfielder. I'm shocked we didn't buy 1/2 midfielders more. Even now Flamini is available as a free agent , got to be better then sideways backward no muscle Westwood 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Adomah and Grealish are both attacking wingers though, which would push us still towards the 424 we are currently doing. I'd go 352. Put baker alongside elphick and Chester.

I agree they are attacking but more workmanlike then ayew or gestede and mcormack. Rdm needs to find 2,  1st choice strikees, who for me kodjia and ayew at the  moment. 2 on the bench, gestede and mccormack. Gives options when they tire and quality off the bench. 

Man utd when then had Cole , yorke, Sheringham and solksjaer. Never played all 4 together unless desperately seeking an equaliser in the last 10 mins 

We still need a winger to provide for kodjia and to me Adomah is going to be very important for this team 

Â