Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Not sure where you saw that, but it doesnt align with what they've said.

The roof of North and Trinity will stay separate, they don't want a bowl and need to allow light to the houses behind that on Nelson Road.

The players tunnel is moving to the corner as well, so won't be in the same position it is now. Is this an old speculative what we could do image?

This is an old fan made sketch up drawing … Just shared to give peeps an idea … 

Edited by thabucks

They have moved fairly quickly on this. It less than 4 years since they bought Villa and the first 2  involved promotion and just staying up. And then we all had to stay inside for about a year.

Initially they didn't seem to show that much interest in redevelopment. They had plans to knock the academy and Villa Village, and this had evolved somewhat. They must have spent a fair amount in refurbishing the current North Stand corporate area which is now the gas lounge.

I guess it must be the combination of the massive increase in demand for tickets at Villa and the fact that other clubs are busy expanding or building new grounds so we need to move forward to compete.

Mr Street said: "The plans Aston Villa have for the stadium and its surrounding area are inspiring and doable.

"As part of it there will need to be a full redevelopment of Witton Station. It's basically going to be a rebuild.

"Fans will know that getting to the ground from the station can be a pretty unpleasant experience, so any work will include new direct connections."

Mr Street said transport chiefs in the region were looking at increasing the frequency of trains once the rebuild is complete.

It is understood the proposed work would be similar in scope to what has happened at Perry Barr station, which reopened in May after a £30m rebuild which took a year to complete.

It would be funded through the West Midlands Combined Authority.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/politics/2022/07/02/villa-park-expansion-plan-to-see-30m-train-station-redevelopment/

Looking at the current design / state of the Trinity externally I think that the New North Stand should go for an modern industrial aesthetic rather than a pastiche copy of the old Trinity or Aston Hall. Villa park should look like a renovated 1920’s factory rising from terrace houses. When the New North Stand and new Witton stand is built it would look like fort Dunlop from the motorway. It’s the poor detailing and finish or lack of which lets the Trinity down the most. A unified external aesthetic for the 3 stands with Holte standing alone and proud is one my dreams… 

70FB32C2-7190-460F-A09E-F2AA5E870B81.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Looking at the current design / state of the Trinity externally I think that the New North Stand should go for an modern industrial aesthetic rather than a pastiche copy of the old Trinity or Aston Hall. Villa park should look like a renovated 1920’s factory rising from terrace houses. When the New North Stand and new Witton stand is built it would look like fort Dunlop from the motorway. It’s the poor detailing and finish or lack of which lets the Trinity down the most. A unified external aesthetic for the 3 stands with Holte standing alone and proud is one my dreams… 

That looks ace. But whats with the Nissan 😀

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Wow I absolutely love this to the point where if it isnt this I will be disappointed

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The last line is a surprise 

I'd have thought that would be the planning permission smooth over 

What we are doing is a fairly big regeneration of the area so it will benefit locals and the city in general. I would expect some help along the way. Also don’t forget the Euro 2028 bid which we are favourites to win. Currently Villa Park doesn’t meet UEFA criteria. It would be an embarrassment to the West Midlands if we didn’t have a stadium represented. We will be getting additional funding for this as well imo. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WHY said:

What we are doing is a fairly big regeneration of the area so it will benefit locals and the city in general. I would expect some help along the way. Also don’t forget the Euro 2028 bid which we are favourites to win. Currently Villa Park doesn’t meet UEFA criteria. It would be an embarrassment to the West Midlands if we didn’t have a stadium represented. We will be getting additional funding for this as well imo. 

Yeah, the Euro 2028 bid will certainly include Government money for transport infrastructure improvements. 

It sounds like they are hoping for Witton to replace Aston Station as the principal station for the stadium. I always thought they discouraged home fans from using it preferring away fans to use it.  Going to be a lot more mixing of fans on platforms/in the trains if that's so. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, the Euro 2028 bid will certainly include Government money for transport infrastructure improvements. 

It sounds like they are hoping for Witton to replace Aston Station as the principal station for the stadium. I always thought they discouraged home fans from using it preferring away fans to use it.  Going to be a lot more mixing of fans on platforms/in the trains if that's so. 

Whilst Aston isn't that far to walk, Witton is so much closer, especially if the paths and underpass from Station Road to the South end of Witton platforms gets the go ahead, halving the walk to 3 or 4 minutes as they'll be no need to go via Witton Road.

Away fans have always been encouraged to use Witton Station but not instead of home fans. The reason why 65% of fans traveling by train use Aston, is the ease of staying on the Cross City Line. Loads of Villa fans traveling in from the Redditch/Northfield and Lichfield/Sutton directions.

I've suggested in surveys, a few times over the years, that on match days there should be train services from/to Cross City Line to/from Witton. It should be easy, at least from the Redditch/Birmingham direction.

Hopefully the new expansion and infrastructure improvements will finally see this. Let's hope Transport for West Midlands/Combined Authority don't let Villa down on this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brommy said:

Whilst Aston isn't that far to walk, Witton is so much closer, especially if the paths and underpass from Station Road to the South end of Witton platforms gets the go ahead, halving the walk to 3 or 4 minutes as they'll be no need to go via Witton Road.

Away fans have always been encouraged to use Witton Station but not instead of home fans. The reason why 65% of fans traveling by train use Aston, is the ease of staying on the Cross City Line. Loads of Villa fans traveling in from the Redditch/Northfield and Lichfield/Sutton directions.

I've suggested in surveys, a few times over the years, that on match days there should be train services from/to Cross City Line to/from Witton. It should be easy, at least from the Redditch/Birmingham direction.

Hopefully the new expansion and infrastructure improvements will finally see this. Let's hope Transport for West Midlands/Combined Authority don't let Villa down on this.

Coming from the Lichfield side of the route, I'd rather get a train to Aston and walk than stay on a train to brum, than have to change to another train to come back, risk the train being too busy to get on and add a further potential delay to my trip.

If they can improvise a train route from this side to Whitton without changing obviously I'd be happy, but just don't see it happening.

I think the other reason for encouraging away fans to use Whitton, aside from being closer and harder to get lost from, is a safety factor.

Walking back to Aston after a night game is a pretty grim experience, lighting virtually none existent and then queuing on the pavement outside the station waiting for the third train to turn up before you can get on it. Ergh. If they can improve the service from and lighting to Aston Station, that would be enough for me.

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Coming from the Lichfield side of the route, I'd rather get a train to Aston and walk than stay on a train to brum, then have to change to another train to come back, risk the train being too busy to get on and add a further potential delay to my trip.

If they can improvise a route from this side to Whitton without changing obviously I'd be happy, but just don't see it happening.

I think the other reason for encouraging away fans to use Whitton, aside from being closer and harder to get lost from, is a safety factor.

Walking back to Aston after a night game is a pretty grim experience, lighting virtually none existent and then queuing on the pavement outside the station waiting for the third train to turn up before you can get on it. Ergh.

Definitely easier from/to the Birmingham/Redditch side of the Cross City Line than the North side. A few extra train services from/to Redditch/Walsall, calling at Aston and Witton, in the two hours before and after the match would help.

Unfortunately without a short but expensive rail link between Gravelly Hill and Witton, a service from the North Cross City Line to Witton isn't feasible.

1 minute ago, MNVillan said:

Villa Live is my favorite part of this. I had zero reason to go to VP outside of match day when I visited. Would absolutely love a reason to go see the Villa museum, get some good food, have a pint, even watch an away match.

I imagine for fans traveling from overseas the ability to watch an away game if the fixture list wasn't friendly to their arrival would be a huge attraction.

A museum of sorts is guaranteed to attract fans only in the area for a short time too.

The social side is what they're banking on attracting the locals regularly. If they make the improvements to travel they they're suggesting, it may just work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

Unfortunately without a short but expensive rail link between Gravelly Hill and Witton, a service from the North Cross City Line to Witton isn't feasible.

If they find a way to weave this in to match day specific trains, without the cost being impacted, it would be brilliant.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

If they find a way to weave this in to match day specific trains, without the cost being impacted, it would be brilliant.

The cheapest way to get trains from the North Cross City Line to Witton is for the driver to change ends at Aston. Would take 2 or 3 minutes. Unusual but not unheard of.

Â