Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

It looks like there would actually be plenty of space to build new railway chords to connect Witton to North Cross City line because of vacant land where the Watson Road Gas Holders used to be, but that kind of railway infrastructure work is wildly expensive. 

They are looking to build such chords at Bordesley to allow the Camp Hill Railway lines and trains from the East Midlands to run into an expanded Moor Street Station.. There would be massive demand/revenue for that and they're still taking years to fund and build. 

I don't think the Witton business case would anything like stack up as I can't see demand outside purely Villa Games. 

Strangely though there is a loop that means you could run trains into New Street Station by running Northbound towards Perry Barr i.e you could run trains into Town from both platforms at Aston and Witton stations.  That could be a way of increasing frequency of trains back into Brum. 

• Like 2

Long term I can see them turning the current Holte Suite into a more integrated fan-zone food hall mixed space and extend the Holte Pub for conferences etc So it can serve both the lower and top tiers and improve service comfort and offerings. 

F4818F54-1E90-47D6-B1FF-90DD73C65E1B.jpeg

43E7BD36-E390-4C51-9B95-BF52E6360477.jpeg

A47EC85D-FF73-4A95-8AF4-0E05F2CC4527.png

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was on the train today and went past Witton. Work is  going full steam ahead on Brookvale for the inner city academy.  A lot of land clearing going on. The whole area could have major changes with the new pedestrian link and also if the station is to be refurbished.

• Like 3

On 01/07/2022 at 14:40, MrBlack said:

Not sure where you saw that, but it doesnt align with what they've said.

The roof of North and Trinity will stay separate, they don't want a bowl and need to allow light to the houses behind that on Nelson Road.

The players tunnel is moving to the corner as well, so won't be in the same position it is now. Is this an old speculative what we could do image?

The new stuff did say the North Stand would wrap into the Trinity though. Not sure how you do that but keep the roof separate

I would definitely go to the Villa Live venue to watch an away game on a big screen and have some food and drink.  Make a day of it with the kids.

Along the club shop being open and perhaps discounted stadium tours on the day, it could prove quite lucrative for the club on what would normally be a pretty dead day at Villa Park.

It’s all pretty exciting and hopefully it can similar or better than these thoughts. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The new stuff did say the North Stand would wrap into the Trinity though. Not sure how you do that but keep the roof separate

I think it said it would wrap at the lower tier only. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Just the lower tier of seats, without a roof

• Like 1

Apparently there's been a change in plans. The initial plan was to build the new stand behind the current one and then swap them out upon completion. 

That is not happening. There will be a tear down of the NS and a rebuild on the spot, meaning a major disruption to STH there and a major eyesore for the bulk of two seasons. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Apparently there's been a change in plans. The initial plan was to build the new stand behind the current one and then swap them out upon completion. 

That is not happening. There will be a tear down of the NS and a rebuild on the spot, meaning a major disruption to STH there and a major eyesore for the bulk of two seasons. 

Has there?

27 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Due to height i think. They need to flatten it to keep the stand and the Villa Live area on the same level. 

I do not see the point of mentioning it will be an eyesore though. Of course it will. Nothing can be done about that if we want to build a £100 mill end. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, maqroll said:

That was announced in the original release 6 days ago... ?

58 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Where did you read the new stand was going to be built behind the existing? I've followed several proposals over the last decade or so and never seen that.

I'm not sure how it would even be feasible. The pitch isn't moving and the existing stand will be occupying at least 50% of the footprint of the new stand.

As for 'major disruption to STH', the newly announced plans have referred to that. The North Stand is currently the smallest capacity stand so I'm assuming less than 15% of STHs will need to move for less than 2 seasons. The 'major eyesore' will be  exciting to see progress month after month. I remember the huge cranes above the new Holte End and my thrill at seeing my new 'home' being completed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Apart from the fact all of the literature last week clearly said that the current  North Stand was to be demolished, and that the process would last for 18 months with a reduced stadium capacity?

13 minutes ago, brommy said:

Where did you read the new stand was going to be built behind the existing? I've followed several proposals over the last decade or so and never seen that.

I'm not sure how it would even be feasible. The pitch isn't moving and the existing stand will be occupying at least 50% of the footprint of the new stand.

As for 'major disruption to STH', the newly announced plans have referred to that. The North Stand is currently the smallest capacity stand so I'm assuming less than 15% of STHs will need to move for less than 2 seasons. The 'major eyesore' will be  exciting to see progress month after month. I remember the huge cranes above the new Holte End and my thrill at seeing my new 'home' being completed.

Liverpool are doing it with their new stand. 

image.png.9d1e6f1d118e3a8c56df5c6ceba4a722.png

Edited by sidcow

Just now, sidcow said:

Liverpool are doing it with their new stand. 

I've seen that but there's only so much that can be done before the existing stand needs to be demolished and its footprint used for the new stand.

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

I've seen that but there's only so much that can be done before the existing stand needs to be demolished and its footprint used for the new stand.

It seems Liverpool are keeping the lower tier in situ with the new tier being built above it, so there will be seamless transition with no drop in capacity. 

People just assumed we would do that too but we can't because the existing North Stand is not being retained, it needs to be knocked down and built from scratch so it was never a possibility. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It seems Liverpool are keeping the lower tier in situ with the new tier being built above it, so there will be seamless transition with no drop in capacity. 

People just assumed we would do that too but we can't because the existing North Stand is not being retained, it needs to be knocked down and built from scratch so it was never a possibility. 

If a 'new' stand is merely adding an upper tier behind/above the existing lower tier, it's obviously going to be easier to keep the existing capacity unrestricted.

Thankfully the new plans for the North Stand don't include saving any part of it! Short term disruption will provide us with a long term gain.

There will be major earth moving works required at the back of the existing NS, which will be vertically below the upper tier of the new, deeper stand.

Does anyone know why there are several different ground levels, that will require removing, at the immediate rear of the current North Stand? What was that all about?

From what I have read the Anfield Stand lower tier is of a reasonable standard as it was built in the 90s. The upper tier is cramped because it was constrained by the road and houses behind it when the club have now bought up and hence the rebuild.  It will probably look bigger than the Kop now. 

The North Stand is both a lot older and the lower tier is very cramped with seats bolted on original terracing. It ain't worth keeping.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â