Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, dotcomsimon said:

Let’s knock resorts world down and build something by the lake 🤣

297FDE23-91FC-4D86-8A5E-ED149C907773.jpeg

Surely better off knocking down Star City ? 

Closer to home . Also appears to be a suitably sized site next to Aston reservoir 

124A2F77-301C-45F5-8CDB-F4BE76B23A29.jpeg

Edited by thabucks

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

46EB2222-3D33-42BC-B457-F2F9CFE056D3.jpeg.c056aac4995ddb30220397f84b38c6b3.jpeg

if everything in the red was owned by Villa we’d make lots of moolah on match days and quite a bit on non match days too. I suppose even down to the tavern and that factory in the bottom right of the pic could be bought potentially.

Im assuming the Astro pitches are not owned by Aston Hall? 

We sold the land with the factories on it by Aston Tavern under Doug in 2006 for £7.3m.

We had to battle for months with the council to get planning permission for the tiny bit of the Trinity Road stand that overlaps Aston Park - I believe as part of that battle we paid for the Astro pitches as a gift to the community by way of apology for stealing a bit of the park.

It would be nigh on impossible for us to ever get any further across Trinity Road than we already are.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We sold the land with the factories on it by Aston Tavern under Doug in 2006 for £7.3m.

We had to battle for months with the council to get planning permission for the tiny bit of the Trinity Road stand that overlaps Aston Park - I believe as part of that battle we paid for the Astro pitches as a gift to the community by way of apology for stealing a bit of the park.

It would be nigh on impossible for us to ever get any further across Trinity Road than we already are.

Time to break out the brown envelopes with the dodgy pictures in them. Only way we’re getting things done!

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Time to break out the brown envelopes with the dodgy pictures in them. Only way we’re getting things done!

Well, the good news for us is that the council is massively in debt and barely get the bins emptied - so if there was a will and a necessity for us to buy a little land, you never know - I still think that the political noise around shifting residents would stop it happening though. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You would hope and expect relations to be better than before though nowadays. Citehs owners have reportedly invested hell of a lot in the local community with the council away from football. Also when it comes to possible CPO I would guess the loss of houses would be offset against building of flats and affordable accommodation and other community assets 

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

You would hope and expect relations to be better than before though nowadays. Citehs owners have reportedly invested hell of a lot in the local community with the council away from football. Also when it comes to possible CPO I would guess the loss of houses would be offset against building of flats and affordable accommodation and other community assets 

Indeed, the question though is where? In retrospect, selling the land behind the Aston Tavern was a poor decision - I believe Doug also sold off a couple of other patches of land we owned locally during those years and it would certainly be nice to have nearby land to offer in exchange.

The ideal I reckon would be to own the land along a line from Serpentine Road, down Yew Tree Road and through Manor Road which would give you loads of space behind the Witton Land stand and perhaps bring the station into play - that's getting on for 200 properties though and I'd think with that, the cost of re-homing and the land - we'd be needing to approach the council with a very good PR plan and a nine figure offer - it just doesn't seem very likely.

It's possibly worth keeping in mind that Citeh didn't undertake the stadium construction themselves, it was done by the council for the commonwealth games on the site of a former colliery - I don't think they knocked down a single home in building Sportcity.

For the new main stand at Anfield, a row of derelict houses was demolished, I'm not sure how long they'd been derelict - and there are six homes due to be demolished for the expansion of Selhurst Park (five council and one privately owned) - those would all be on a much smaller scale than the things that we're been suggesting though.

As I say, I think cost and politics would prevent us expanding into the housing.

All of which brings to mind one of my favourite architectural foibles - the weird low corner at one end of the City Ground in Nottingham - which exists because if it had been the same height as the rest of the stand it would have blocked the light of the single house behind it. If Forest changed the way they built a stand because of one house, it probably says something about how difficult it would be to move a few dozen to expand Villa Park.

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 16.43.28.png

• Thanks 1

All things point to us just expanding the North Stand only and to make small improvements where possible to the remaining stands and their concourses. No way we can ever expand the Trinity or Witton as things stand and Holte wouldn’t be worthy the cost for the small gain in capacity. 

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

All things point to us just expanding the North Stand only and to make small improvements where possible to the remaining stands and their concourses. No way we can ever expand the Trinity or Witton as things stand and Holte wouldn’t be worthy the cost for the small gain in capacity. 

The great news on that is that behind the North Stand is where all our room is, and it's our smallest stand - so developing the North Stand can in itself make a significant difference to Villa Park. I for one can't wait to see the plans.

• Like 3

I'd like to see Villa Park to extend where it is, we should not move.

Redevelopment of the North Stand to mirror the Holte, possibly filling in a corner (maybe both). The car-park and shop to be incorporated into that and a musuem should also be part of the shop experience.

How many does the North Stand currently hold? Could we double the capacity of that stand? There is a lot of space available that side of the ground if we were to have an underground car-park.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

I can't see anything beyond a redevelopment of the North stand to be honest, and I'd love us to develop rather than move. I think the room behind it means potential for a large concourse (I like the idea of an open atrium as suggested by others) and plenty of hospitality. It's a shame the Trinity was built with that weird angle at the corner with the North stand, I'm no architect but I'd imagine that makes it harder to fill in that corner. 

I've also often wondered if we could ever build over Witton Lane in a similar way to Trinity Road, and since I saw what Liverpool are doing with their latest expansion, also wondered if another tier could be added to the Witton Lane stand whilst leaving the existing stand as it is. I'm not even sure we'd need to touch the houses on that side if they went down that route, although light for the houses might be a problem. 

My pie-in-the-sky dream scenario would be to have a North Stand that blends in with the Lower and Middle tiers of the Trinity, future proofed so it can join nicely with a new Upper tier on Witton Lane.

8 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

It's a shame the Trinity was built with that weird angle at the corner with the North stand, I'm no architect but I'd imagine that makes it harder to fill in that corner. 

Lerner's plans involved reducing the length of the Trinity slightly so that the curve round the corner could be smoother.  It was going to cost about 1,000 seats from the current  Trinity capacity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The great news on that is that behind the North Stand is where all our room is, and it's our smallest stand - so developing the North Stand can in itself make a significant difference to Villa Park. I for one can't wait to see the plans.

I think the most we can add in capacity is around 9-10k max to take it overall to 17k - spurs single Tier end stand holds 17.5 k and the new Anfield road stand which is two tiers will hold just over 16k … So a redeveloped north stand alone would take us up to 51-52k seats which is more than adequate currently. There is much potential which can be exploited… 

By removing the Trinity roof and adding a third tier to it like Old Traffords S.A.F Stand with another level of lounges would add 5k seats with the corners obvs squared off and poss wrapped around that’s another 3-4K though I’d prefer it to not fully join to preserve the x4 separate stands similar to spurs.

Build an atrium space like at Lambeau between the Trinity & New North Stand leading to a club shop & museum / exhibition space, and viola you’ll have a fit for purpose 60,000 ish seat stadium with scope to rebuild the Witton if and when necessary… 

C801D119-C0CE-4BF2-A8F4-3D4470420C02.jpeg

Edited by thabucks

Purslow said it could take up to 10 years to deliver what they want didn't he?  No way just rebuilding the North Stand takes that long if they are ready to put planning permission in, they must be looking at other things like buying houses and land to expand another Stand or two.

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Which is a shame as the Doug Ellis is awful and even the Trinity doesn’t feel that spacious on the concourses.

If I was NSWE I would be forming a shell company not linked to them or Villa "Birmingham Property holdings" and be quietly buying up any properties that came up for sale in the area around VP over the coming years (obviously renting them out to generate some income) and slowly taking over the area.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

If I was NSWE I would be forming a shell company not linked to them or Villa "Birmingham Property holdings" and be quietly buying up any properties that came up for sale in the area around VP over the coming years (obviously renting them out to generate some income) and slowly taking over the area.

Yep and cash buyers are always first in the queue when people are selling. 

8 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

They may already be doing this. They keep the purchase of PL players quiet, I’m pretty sure buying up a few old houses on the QT isn’t beyond them. 

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

They may already be doing this. They keep the purchase of PL players quiet, I’m pretty sure buying up a few old houses on the QT isn’t beyond them. 

It would be picked up in no time. House sales are a matter of public record, searchable on Land Registry with the deeds able to be purchased.

Â