Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

If he has £100m in a UK bank - what is the role of Samuelson & co ?

Probably to get it here via various tax havens / shell companies so it's nice and clean avoided tax etc.

43 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Lol I feel the opposite, the more and more I see I think yes this is the real deal!

Yeah he's winning me over.

To me it seems like he's uncomfortable doing interviews in English, he lacks confidence in speaking the language and understandably that makes things more difficult.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

One thing that is making me cringe during all his  interviews,is when the interviewer says "hello mr SHA"..im like arghhhh no

Its like the ultimate bluenose nightmare scenario.

Not to mention and correct me if I am wrong @Deisler123 but when it is pronounced SHA it means "stupid". So they are literally welcoming him as "Hello Mr. Stupid" it's rather unfortunate.

Just now, Daweii said:

Not to mention and correct me if I am wrong @Deisler123 but when it is pronounced SHA it means "stupid". So they are literally welcoming him as "Hello Mr. Stupid" it's rather unfortunate.

Depending on what tone the 'SHA' was pronounced though. But mostly likely to be either Mr. 'Stupid' or Mr. 'Killer' - neither sounds good.

The Sky reporter made his name sound like Mr. Zi, a sound in Chinese we used to mimic how the mouse/rats 'speak'. No good. 

The CNN journalist pronounciate his name very well though (in the most recent interview done in Beijing) - but his attitude as a journalist is very annoying.

Xia's English certainly needs to be improved, but IMHO, if the journalists can't even pronouciate the interviewee's name correctly, what can we expect from the interview? 

• Like 4

Just now, Deisler123 said:

Depending on what tone the 'SHA' was pronounced though. But mostly likely to be either Mr. 'Stupid' or Mr. 'Killer' - neither sounds good.

The Sky reporter made his name sound like Mr. Zi, a sound in Chinese we used to mimic how the mouse/rats 'speak'. No good. 

The CNN journalist pronounciate his name very well though (in the most recent interview done in Beijing) - but his attitude as a journalist is very annoying.

Xia's English certainly needs to be improved, but IMHO, if the journalists can't even pronouciate the interviewee's name correctly, what can we expect from the interview? 

I've been pronouncing it "shee-ah". Is that right or am I butchering it?

If you guys are interested, check this out:

An almost accurate pronounciation, but the '/Ts/' sound at the beginning should really be weakened to almost like 'Sh' (, like Shhhh (asking someone to be quiet)... which is 'X' in Mandarin's Roman letter rules).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I've been pronouncing it "shee-ah". Is that right or am I butchering it?

Or to make it even easier, it has almost the identical pronounciation as 'Xa' of 'Xavier' (ex Barca player) or 'Xabi' (current Bayern Munich player) in Spanish. Sh-ee-a (one sound) with fourth tone (sound always going down)

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 1

does this not all look a bit amateurish though?

considering he spent alot of time in the US an also time in the UK, his english is pretty bad

if you look at the other big takeovers like man city an chelsea, these guys breezed in with their management companys doing all the talking and didnt need to do any trying to convince the joe public, this poor guy seems stressed as hell having to dea\l with all this crap

an where an why is samuelson an his mate banhill hiding while all this is going on?

there are still questions that need answering in my opinion

Just now, Deisler123 said:

Or to make it even easier, it has almost the identical pronounciation as 'Xa' of 'Xavier' in Spanish. Sh-ee-a (one sound)

I am now confident in saying his name. Cheers dude! :cheers:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, backofthenet said:

does this not all look a bit amateurish though?

considering he spent alot of time in the US an also time in the UK, his english is pretty bad

if you look at the other big takeovers like man city an chelsea, these guys breezed in with their management companys doing all the talking and didnt need to do any trying to convince the joe public, this poor guy seems stressed as hell having to dea\l with all this crap

an where an why is samuelson an his mate banhill hiding while all this is going on?

there are still questions that need answering in my opinion

Why don't you learn mandarin for a few years first, and get back us on that one... :) 

Other points are more valid though, I guess we'll find out once the takeover is complete...

2 minutes ago, mwj said:

Why don't you learn mandarin for a few years first, and get back us on that one... :) 

Other points are more valid though, I guess we'll find out once the takeover is complete...

yeah i get what your saying an given that i failed basic french however millenia ago it was when i went to school id expect someone with a havard masters who spent alot of time in the US to be a little better versed

Â