Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 minute ago, backofthenet said:

yeah i get what your saying an given that i failed basic french however millenia ago it was when i went to school id expect someone with a havard masters who spent alot of time in the US to be a little better versed

Given the large communities of foreign students in US campuses it's actually quite easy for a student to turn out like this, and I'm sure similar things would be on display from the expat community in Shanghai etc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, backofthenet said:

yeah i get what your saying an given that i failed basic french however millenia ago it was when i went to school id expect someone with a havard masters who spent alot of time in the US to be a little better versed

Not really. I studied with plenty of foreign students who didn't speak decent English. As long as you can write well (and someone pays the tuition fees) then you can get a degree. Writing formally and speaking informally are 2 separate language skills

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, backofthenet said:

We need to take into account the fact that the degree he did in the US is a research degree. I got my PhD in an English-speaking country too, and I know writting skills are more important than how well you speak English.

Edited by Deisler123

Just now, Deisler123 said:

Especially the degree he did in the US was a research degree. I got my PhD in an English-speaking country too, and I know writting skills are more important than how well you speak English.

i stand corrected then, maybe it is the case then that he is quite a shy individual who is extremely private, i think i would get annoyed at people constantly questioning my self worth and asking for proof

id still like someone to ask him the questions about samuelson though

19 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

We need to take into account the fact that the degree he did in the US is a research degree. I got my PhD in an English-speaking country too, and I know writting skills are more important than how well you speak English.

Is that a deliberate mistake? 

Keep posting Deisler, I enjoy your posts! A valuable insight. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Or to make it even easier, it has almost the identical pronounciation as 'Xa' of 'Xavier' (ex Barca player) or 'Xabi' (current Bayern Munich player) in Spanish. Sh-ee-a (one sound) with fourth tone (sound always going down)

Tony Sh-ee-a 

Basically its brummie Sheila without the L

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Completely untrue, in the regard that writing skills are more important than how well you speak English. Its the complete opposite. I'm in my Masters program at Stanford and have negotiated international contracts worth millions and hold million dollar portfolio's for my company that I work for. Many of my clientele all can speak pretty well English, at least for business proficiency. But when it comes to writing and drawing up deals/idea's, they are not so well off, but nothing that a little spell check can't fix, its just the  sentence structure and different terms they use for certain words are way off the mark.

I like the way he's in large media outlets talking us up and talking about the deal. 

He's raising awareness from day one. I don't think it's any coincidence. 

I just hope he can get the decisions right to get us promoted and beyond. The proof will be in the pudding. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 007√ said:

Completely untrue, in the regard that writing skills are more important than how well you speak English. Its the complete opposite. I'm in my Masters program at Stanford and have negotiated international contracts worth millions and hold million dollar portfolio's for my company that I work for. Many of my clientele all can speak pretty well English, at least for business proficiency. But when it comes to writing and drawing up deals/idea's, they are not so well off, but nothing that a little spell check can't fix, its just the  sentence structure and different terms they use for certain words are way off the mark.

What you said in my opinion, quite rightly, applies to subjects that involve more communication, as traditionally classified as 'soft science'.

However, in 'hard science' such as Maths, Physics and Chemistry, writing skills are more important (for scientific publication purpose). 

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, backofthenet said:

does this not all look a bit amateurish though?

considering he spent alot of time in the US an also time in the UK, his english is pretty bad

if you look at the other big takeovers like man city an chelsea, these guys breezed in with their management companys doing all the talking and didnt need to do any trying to convince the joe public, this poor guy seems stressed as hell having to dea\l with all this crap

an where an why is samuelson an his mate banhill hiding while all this is going on?

there are still questions that need answering in my opinion

Could be just that the takeover isn't completely rubber stambed yet, as it has to go through PL and FL.

Not my experience, but I didn't study business.

1 hour ago, mwj said:

Not really. I studied with plenty of foreign students who didn't speak decent English. As long as you can write well (and someone pays the tuition fees) then you can get a degree. Writing formally and speaking informally are 2 separate language skills

Yep, My Mum works at the Library at Birmingham University and she's always going on to me about the incredibly bright Chinese students who study there who can barely string a sentence of English together when they want to take a book out.

Dr is clearly not used to being interviewed in English so let's go easy on that.

I noticed in the CNN interview when he was talking he kept referring to 'we' and 'us' in reference to him buying the club. When quizzed by the reporter on it he bumbled about meaning his company. I didn't buy that. 

BULLSHIT! It's the government conspiracy! :ph34r:

Â