Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

37 minutes ago, limpid said:

In what way?

If they've said they are staying then if they ask to leave he can say he was lied to. They are the ones who will look bad.

He can only be in the wrong if they haven't said they are staying. Even then he can say that he did everything he could to keep them.

Haters gonna hate whatever he does. I'd rather he talks than stays silent.

I don't have a problem with him talking and feel it to be a rather refreshing change from the previous regime, but it is inevitable he would lose credibility with elements of the fanbase despite his best intentions - you only have to look at this forum to see that.

I'm not sure whether pointing a finger and shouting 'but.. they lied!' would absolve him either, many reasonable fans would like to value the word of the owner and the promises they make without being written off as 'haters' - I imagine both parties wouldn't come out of the situation well. Anyhow, let's hope he's right.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

This is very similar to the fawning over Krulak.

I know the Doctor means well but eventually it will occur that he will promise something and the opposite will happen.

And then the witch hunt will begin...

You can only fawn over someone if you actually interact with them.

I personally am enjoying the information he is providing, and I hope he continues to do so. It is refreshing, rather than the source-less speculation that is mostly what we have to feed on here on VT. Much as I enjoy VT, it is good to get the information straight from the horse's mouth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I know the Doctor means well but eventually it will occur that he will promise something and the opposite will happen.

Nope. I don't think they are the same. Charles Krulak was given a job to do by Randy - appease and communicate with the fans. It was as far as Randy ever developed a communications strategy. Krulak is also about 80 years old. Twitter/Weibo is natural to Tony, he is late thirties and knows how to use social media. Tony is also the owner of the club and the guy who will have final say on everything AND he is the guy on Twitter. Not the same at all. 

21 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I would say he most definitely is naive to English football fans/English football culture/English idiocy. 

He's already been tripped up by his own naivety by someone purposely and blatantly on the wind up.

If one of Amavi or Ayew leave (or both) then I can imagine his Twitter feed being swamped with moaning supporters who say they've been lied to. They haven't; it's just that shit happens in football, but that's usually not reason enough for the average fan when they've been told certain things. 

He needs to realise these are big statements; and they're almost not worth saying in the first place due to the fallout they can bring. 

I liked this post, and agree with all of it with the possible exception of 'they haven't been lied to'. I think they have in this particular scenario, which is all the more reason to be parsimonious when it comes to promising things that he can't definitely deliver. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

One major difference is that General was a mouthpiece, the Doctor is the actual owner, we have more reason to believe what he says even if it turns out to be tosh. 

Obviously a part of his huge emphasis on trying to communicate is because so many Villa fans used to go into a huge moan about Lerner not talking at all, which at the time, as an owner, I had no problem with.

21 minutes ago, meme said:

Surely some of them we could sign up? ;) 

Hope he brought his binoculars to that game. Appears to be 200 meters to the pitch from where he's sitting

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He is entitled to do other stuff outside of Villa, it doesn't mean he is neglecting his responsibilities for us

Granted, 

Good job i never said "he is neglecting his responsibilities for us"

• Like 1

Â