Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

On 22/07/2016 at 19:44, AntrimBlack said:

I think it is a bit odd for posters to suggest Xia is naive and somehow cannot look after himself in the big world.

The guy is a billionaire businessman - how many of us on here can say that? Don't underestimate him.

As I consider myself to be in that group, I shall respond :)

I think it's entirely possible to have one skillset and not the other.  That doesn't mean he 'can't look after himself in the big world' which is not the point that was being made.  Becoming a self-made billionaire businessman does not preclude the possibility that during his learning process of owning this club he could put his foot in it via social media a few times in his attempts to ingratiate himself with fans.  At the moment he hasn't done anything other than demonstrate that he's very willing to talk about things that, in my experience online, no other chairman or manager would go into in anything like such detail.  Whether he has already said something that will come back to haunt him remains to be seen.  But I'm more concerned that his openness will lend itself to future faux pas. That's all.  I'm not underestimating him here.  I'm concerned for him and I think he's overestimating twitter and the intentions of many people on there.  Time will definitely tell.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Anyone know what he is going on about with this tweet?

Do u really think we can get any money back to move someone out?Two things.

Getting rid of our worst players will not generate revenue i.e. it is not sell to buy

I'll say one thing about his tweets people are certainly talking about them and how wise or otherwise it is to post them,  sometimes to the distraction of how much team building has not yet been done

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Getting rid of our worst players will not generate revenue i.e. it is not sell to buy

That doesnt make sense based off the question asked.  We can get money for some players and worst players were not mentioned

@Dr_TonyXia You said we had up to 50m to spend. So why do we need to sell to buy ?

000_DJ0BM.jpg

Does anyone know how the sizes on the orange kit compare with our last Macron?

Bit worried it looks flimsier than the Swiss kit, but will go well with a pair of Dunlop Green Flash I've been holding on to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

What can i say, it makes sense to me.  We have to get some players out to make room for some new players not to generate money to buy.  That's my reading of it anyway.

So you reckon he is talking about getting squad numbers down before we can buy? Nothing to do with money, sort of makes sense now.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

000_DJ0BM.jpg

Does anyone know how the sizes on the orange kit compare with our last Macron?

Bit worried it looks flimsier than the Swiss kit, but will go well with a pair of Dunlop Green Flash I've been holding on to.

I think they need more work on the box

• Like 1

He is certainly very ambitious. I applaud him for his hard work and vision.  However, no one in India or China will be supporting us if we don't get back to the PL.  That is the priority.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Richard said:

a population of 1.25 billion people I'm sure there may be one or two talented kids who like soccer as a second sport because they aren't good enough for cricket!

An Indian Dwight Yorke would be good :D although he was good enough for cricket as well. 

34 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

So you reckon he is talking about getting squad numbers down before we can buy? Nothing to do with money, sort of makes sense now.

My take on it was that he has been accused of a sell to buy policy (another dig at his wealth) so he replies by saying well if these players are no good and we will make a loss on them, then how does moving them allow us to buy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

As I consider myself to be in that group, I shall respond :)

I think it's entirely possible to have one skillset and not the other.  That doesn't mean he 'can't look after himself in the big world' which is not the point that was being made.  Becoming a self-made billionaire businessman does not preclude the possibility that during his learning process of owning this club he could put his foot in it via social media a few times in his attempts to ingratiate himself with fans.  At the moment he hasn't done anything other than demonstrate that he's very willing to talk about things that, in my experience online, no other chairman or manager would go into in anything like such detail.  Whether he has already said something that will come back to haunt him remains to be seen.  But I'm more concerned that his openness will lend itself to future faux pas. That's all.  I'm not underestimating him here.  I'm concerned for him and I think he's overestimating twitter and the intentions of many people on there.  Time will definitely tell.

Aha. So now we know who the second bidder was who lost out to Xia.

8 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Only Okore leaving would be a slight disappointment.

I would be neutral. He did show quality with Clark last season, but to be honest it's time he moved on. That injury really slowed his development as a player and hasn't honestly lived up to his hype of beating Champions League clubs to his signature since. He might still be able to press on, but not at a Championship club.

Edited by meme

26 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Quite telling.

Only Okore leaving would be a slight disappointment.

Not for me after the crap he said and apparently done towards the end of last season. He thinks he is Paul McGrath but he could even tie his boots

31 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Not for me after the crap he said and apparently done towards the end of last season. He thinks he is Paul McGrath but he could even tie his boots

I think that might be more of a reason why Dr X, RDM etc. don't look on him so favourably

Â