Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

9 hours ago, Grumpy_Lion said:

it's certainly interesting reading his tweets, he seems honest and open with us at the very least. 

Sorry, but I don't find his tweets " honest and open" at all.

First, they are usually very cryptic and obscure, open to any number of interpretations, as can be seen by the pages and pages of analysis and speculation that follow each one on this site.

Second, he is only giving us the information he chooses and it seems carefully crafted to create the "Cult of Tony", who appears as a regular guy with dreams for the club and passionate reactions to criticism and results. 

His tweets also give the impression that he is far more in control of recruitment and team selection/tactics than can possibly be the case.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Its a negative moment so lets all bash tony using the same arguments we had previously. 

Moaning for some is the default mode, brings comfort. Adds to the gloom and is justified with, well look at the evidence, I'm just being 'realistic' - no you're not, you're acting on emotion - understandable but not particularly helpful.

It's the easiest thing in the world to criticize. Much harder to control your emotion and have a little faith.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

His tweets also give the impression that he is far more in control of recruitment and team selection/tactics than can possibly be the case.

I don't see it like this at all...

I think he just likes to be very much in contact and ITK about everything RDM is doing and all his thoughts and opinions and relays them to us. His extreme enthusiasm runs into his ownership if you like. I might be wrong but I don't see xia dictating to RDM.

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't see it like this at all...

I think he just likes to be very much in contact and ITK about everything RDM is doing and all his thoughts and opinions and relays them to us. His extreme enthusiasm runs into his ownership if you like. I might be wrong but I don't see xia dictating to RDM.

I wasn't saying he is dictating to RDM, rather that he gives the impression that he is when he can't possibly be.

I never believed I would be this indifferent about Aston Villa - in my 25 years as a fan, since I was a little boy. Relegation is one thing, I saw it coming and actually ended up looking forward to playing the Championship over the summer given the current high level in the Premier League. Sure I would have wanted to be there still, but when teams like West Ham can have such good players and Leicester winning the league, it goes without saying we would lose almost every game once more.

Tony Xia, please get the hell off Twitter and stop embarrassing the club like you're doing. Your English is woeful and nobody fully understands you anyway. I have nothing against you being there to communicate with the fans, but please hire someone to help you out - someone who can say NO when your brain says yes after a defeat - keep it plain and simple, do not promise things which can go tits-up the next day. Do not say stupid things like becoming the best club in the world within five seasons, it's just coming back to bite you in the ass - although I suspect he will be loooong gone before five years have passed anyway. Do not promise signings and reveal that we are negotiating with parties, it only undermines the manager and can cause the selling club to get pissed off.

• Like 1

This is the type of thing Tony should expect if he continues tweeting

Aston Villa owner Tony Xia appears ready to wield the axe at Villa Park in the wake of Wednesday's shock EFL Cup exit at Luton.

Villa were knocked out in the first round after slipping to a 3-1 defeat at Kenilworth Road.

Manager Roberto Di Matteo admitted after the match that his team suffered from "fragility" during the game and new owner Xia appears to have run out of patience with his under-fire squad, who are without a win in any competition since February 6.

The Chinese billionaire took to social media after the defeat to hit out at the club's underperforming players.

"Even we agreed to take the LC [EFL Cup] match as checking game, some players are not worth being given chance," the 39-year-old said.

It is unclear which players Xia could be referring to, although Jores Okore endured a torrid night against the Hatters.

The Denmark international, who refused to be named as a substitute under caretaker boss Eric Black last season, scored a calamitous own goal to seal a disappointing result for the former Championship club.

Villa have invested heavily following their relegation from the Premier League last season.

Ross McCormack arrived at the club in a £12m deal from Fulham earlier this month, while Aaron Tshibola, Tommy Elphick and Pierluigi Gollini have also been brought in.

However, Xia is almost certainly looking to bring in more players before the transfer window closes on August 31.

Villa have reportedly been linked with West Brom centre-half James Chester as well as Bologna's highly-rated defender Amadou Diawara.

SkySports

No damage done this time but it only takes one tweet to make an article.

Edited by villa89

I'm sure if he wasn't going to wield the axe, he wouldn't have tweeted that. I still maintain that as the owner of a multi-billion dollar empire he's got some common sense. 

In fact, with his educational background, I can guarantee that the guy is smarter than I am, so if I can see it would be crazy to put something out in the public domain that he's not willing to act on, I'm damn certain he can see that too.

16 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This is the type of thing Tony should expect if he continues tweeting

SkySports

No damage done this time but it only takes one tweet to make an article.

To be fair XIa was right they let us all down, and most teams their players aim to put things right next game. Not ours they just lose another 10 without a care in the world

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

This guy is a fruit loop. He comes out in the press and states that he sees Villa as the top club in Europe with the highest number of fans all over the world in 5 years time!

:crylaugh:

You ever thought that some of it could almost be tongue in cheek, and motivational talk to help bring a positive and ambitious atmosphere to the club? A trickle down feel good factor which could also encourage outsiders to look at us positively as well as players etc?

Or is it easier to have the loser, defeatist attitude which it seems some get a kick out of. Would you have preferred him to say "I see us in League 2 with a dwindling fan base and in administration in 5 years".

It is obvious the guy has huge enthusiasm and ambition for the club, even if those are lofty. Mervyn King, Hollis etc stated that we were lucky to have an owner like him as his plans were/are monumental.

Some people need to have some patience and stop bashing the club you are supposed to support at every opportunity.

It's like a needy, insecure defeatist lover, a turnoff!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Papillon said:

I never believed I would be this indifferent about Aston Villa - in my 25 years as a fan, since I was a little boy. Relegation is one thing, I saw it coming and actually ended up looking forward to playing the Championship over the summer given the current high level in the Premier League. Sure I would have wanted to be there still, but when teams like West Ham can have such good players and Leicester winning the league, it goes without saying we would lose almost every game once more.

Tony Xia, please get the hell off Twitter and stop embarrassing the club like you're doing. Your English is woeful and nobody fully understands you anyway. I have nothing against you being there to communicate with the fans, but please hire someone to help you out - someone who can say NO when your brain says yes after a defeat - keep it plain and simple, do not promise things which can go tits-up the next day. Do not say stupid things like becoming the best club in the world within five seasons, it's just coming back to bite you in the ass - although I suspect he will be loooong gone before five years have passed anyway. Do not promise signings and reveal that we are negotiating with parties, it only undermines the manager and can cause the selling club to get pissed off.

Whoa whoa! I bet your Chinese is worse than his English! And if he didn't say we are doing this and that with regards players you (not personally I mean fans)  would be saying villa are doing sof all and don't have money  not trying hard to buy players. And the fans are perfect and react with reason rather than emotion - not! 

• Like 2

Â