Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's basically either glass half empty or glass half full at this stage, people will perceive it as they choose to.

It just seems a more enjoyable approach to be optimistic

im half and half at moment. positive that he will do good job long term and is making the right noises (though so did Lerner)

but im certainly not too positive going into the start of the season

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Doesn't this £40m replace a much larger revenue figure which we received in the premier league? Even with wage cuts etc. I'd have thought this would be needed for running costs and the idea of the parachute payments was to ensure that once relegated a team wasn't immediately threatened with huge losses and potential insolvency issues..

This may be completely wrong, that's just what I thought they were there for. I wouldn't have thought the premier league would just dish out £40m for teams to buy players with. 

Of course it does. If if was just an extra  £40m that was available to spend on players. It would make it a profitable excercise to get relegated, which it far from isn't. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Of course it does. If if was just an extra  £40m that was available to spend on players. It would make it a profitable excercise to get relegated, which it far from isn't. 

That was my point. The previous poster seemed to be suggesting that this £40m parachute payment was some kind of bonus to us.

Yes, but it's still money that Xia doesn't need to spend himself, isn't it. If we never had the parachute payments then Xia would've had to cover various costs out of his own pocket. You'd expect £40M in parachute payments to allow him to divert more funds to transfers.

(Whether he will or won't is another matter, but that's not the point I'm making).

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

The way I see it, last season we all for the most part thought the team would be mid table-ish, however after the Leicester game confidence was shot and the team never recovered, maybe there's enough about this team when playing confidently to actual be a strong championship side, hence why no panic buying.

Like Dr Tony said, have faith in the manager.

Great post and exactly my way of viewing the situation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Yes, but it's still money that Xia doesn't need to spend himself, isn't it. If we never had the parachute payments then Xia would've had to covered various costs out of his own pocket. You'd expect £40M in parachute payments to allow him to divert more funds to transfers.

(Whether he will or won't is another matter, but that's not the point I'm making).

This makes a lot more sense but I suppose the real question is how well does that £40m cover the loss of income from not being in the premier league. I know we'll have seen reductions in some players wages but I'd still expect to see the decrease in income being greater than the decrease in expenditure.

If this is the case then we are immediately more loss making as a club and Xia is going to need to inject more money than RL just to meet costs. Using that £40m against Xia when its replacing a larger figure from the previous year is a bit false.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

This makes a lot more sense but I suppose the real question is how well does that £40m cover the loss of income from not being in the premier league. I know we'll have seen reductions in some players wages but I'd still expect to see the decrease in income being greater than the decrease in expenditure.

If this is the case then we are immediately more loss making as a club and Xia is going to need to inject more money than RL just to meet costs. Using that £40m against Xia when its replacing a larger figure from the previous year is a bit false.

You're debating something that isn't there and hasn't been said. 

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Absolutely right.

The parachute payment pays the bills it doesn't provide a transfer kitty which is why we were so screwed if Lerner stayed.

It is easy to be critical of Xia given his bold statements and at times unguarded   Tweets in broken English but people need to remember what the alternative under Lerner was going to be like.

Whike other parties may have been interested in buying us Xia is the guy that put up the hard cash and who Hollis though was the best option.

We need to give him time.

Agree but Tony Xia - I believe will live to regret the quote and be constantly reminded of the statement! 

I will give him time but can't say I'm convinced!

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

You'd expect £40M in parachute payments to allow him to divert more funds to transfers.

The Financial Fair Play rules are the (a) factor. It's a kind of rolling 3 year period in which losses get measured. There's a limit per year for PL teams and a smaller Limit per year for EFL teams. For Villa with 2 years in the prem and next season in the EFL the limit is 83 million over the 3 years (2 x 35 & 1 x 13) . The club lost 27. 3 million the season before last, an as yet announced amount last season, so if (for example) losses were similar, at 27 million, then the club is limited how much it can lose in the coming season, to around the same figure again. Given that income is going to be much smaller due to the loss of TV deal, there's already a struggle to meet the limit without spending on players. Yes I know wages will drop, and that's a bit part of a club's costs, but there's likely to be a drop in commercial revenue and maybe gate receipts etc.

The penalties for breaking the rules are a fine (a big one) if promoted, but if the club were to fail to go up, then there's a transfer (in) embargo the following season. 

link

2016/17 onwards

Next season will see the introduction of a new set of ‘Profitability and Sustainability’ regulations that will deliver a consistent approach to Financial Fair Play for those clubs that move between the Premier League and Championship through promotion and relegation.

Championship clubs voted to change their FPP rules in November 2014 as part of wide-ranging negotiations with the top-flight about future solidarity arrangements that has contractually linked the finances of The Football League and Premier League for the first time since the formation of the latter in 1992.  

The £13m limit for the 2015/16 season is in line with the losses permitted under the new regulations which will permit a maximum loss of £39m over a rolling 3 season timeframe (compared to an equivalent figure of £105m in the Premier League). A club that moves between the Premier League and Championship will be assessed in accordance with the permitted loss in the relevant divisions played in during the three-year period in question. For example, a club that had played two seasons in the Championship and one in the Premier League would have a maximum permitted loss of £61m, consisting of one season at £35m and two at £13m.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrytini said:

I'm with you on waiting . With you on giving him time, and waiting to see what comes next. Also I think we shouldn't forget that deals are complicated and however wealthy he is he can't make them happen if they won't happen.

However, I think it is reasonable for people to be concerned, just over a week to go, that the absolutely critical job of overhauling (arguably) the worst side we have ever had, is far from complete.

I think it's unfair, therefore, to suggest those people who feel those concerns very strongly just like moaning.

There is enough history at enough Clubs with new owners not turning out to be what was expected to justify concerns IMO.

Could have quoted any of your last few posts Terry to be honest as they all make excellent points,  picked this one as it deals with the moaning accusation.

For me it is like this,  has anyone at all said that they expect the job of rebuilding this club to be completed now? No. Certainly personally I have been clear that I doubt we'll even be in the promotion mix next season ,  just too much work to be done and the expectation is too high.  However have people questionned afew things that have been said or have happened in the last few week? Yes they have and they have every right to as well.

Things like

1. Aiming to make the club in the top 3 in the world in the next 10 years

2. There will be 30M, 40M, 50M or whatever the manager needs this season to make the signings needed

3. There will be 3 or 4 told to leave by the end of this week

4. Ayew and Amavi are definitely staying then we have links for both players leaving

5. Wyness saying bids for Gana are unwelcome with Xia saying there is nothing we can do about it

6. Bids for Sincalir rejected where it seems we are haggling over circa 500K

7. Public condemnation of "a rival" and we are told to boo them at the match we play them because they have acted discourteously and then he is forced to apologise

8 Board appointments which give unease given the public reputations of some involved

There are a few things to question and be skeptical of and just because he is not Randy Lerner does not excuse him from questioning.  In addition just because that questioning takes place does not make people "totally pessimistic" or "negative in outlook".  Those insults are basically cheap easy to throw around without looking at the opinion being made,  they do not help a thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Since when have paper links meant anything?

It seems only when someone is trying to prove that there will be 3 or 4 leaving by the end of this week.

Look DCJonah,  I've tried to debate this with you time and time again.  I've answered your posts and framed my opinion.  I've dealt with why I and skeptical and you still seem unable or unwilling to accept I am entitled to the opinion without calling me pessimistic or negative. You wont change from your stance it is clear,  maybe you think I wont change from mine well to be frank if actions of the next few weeks calmed me then I would be less skeptical.  But it seems prety pointless to keep responding to my posts and me yours at this point.  Just agree to disagree .

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

But to counter that Richard, I don't think anyone is in any way suggesting he shouldn't be questioned because he isn't Lerner or for any other reason. I know you've not directly said that but that is clearly what you are implying is in my view no better than what you are rightly complaining about.

I'll dig out the post from yesterday in a bit but the point was made "you wanted Lerner out so why are you complaining about this bloke" or some such.

28 minutes ago, Richard said:

Things like

1. Aiming to make the club in the top 3 in the world in the next 10 years

2. There will be 30M, 40M, 50M or whatever the manager needs this season to make the signings needed

3. There will be 3 or 4 told to leave by the end of this week

4. Ayew and Amavi are definitely staying then we have links for both players leaving

5. Wyness saying bids for Gana are unwelcome with Xia saying there is nothing we can do about it

6. Bids for Sincalir rejected where it seems we are haggling over circa 500K

7. Public condemnation of "a rival" and we are told to boo them at the match we play them because they have acted discourteously and then he is forced to apologise

8 Board appointments which give unease given the public reputations of some involved

1. What's wrong with ambition? Man City made it fairly high in a short space of time. Maybe top 3 is slightly OTT, but again what's wrong with ambition?

2. And what if RDM only thinks we need £5m this summer? Is that Tony's fault? Should he say **** you I promised the fans money and buy players RDM doesn't want?

3. Guzan has already left and Gana is close. Plus, Tony said players would be told they were leaving, how do you know that hasn't happened? Telling a player you don't want them doesn't make them instantly leave.

4. But they haven't left? If we don't want to sell, we don't have to, and until such a time comes it silly to get worried about him "lying" about something that hasn't happened.

5. So we welcomed bids for Benteke then? Maybe Wyness meant by trying to persuade Gana to stay, not rejecting the bid.

6. What's wrong with getting the most for a player? Levy is praised at Tottenham for getting the most he can for shite players, yet when we do it it's not good enough?

7. A bit naive maybe, but honestly I fail to see the problem with it really. It shows he's got passion for the club whilst also showing how modern PR works, don't say anything remotely controversial and if you do apologise before any can have a go.

8. You mean the guy who is no longer a part of the board and was replaced this week by Tracy Gu?

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 4

I'm afraid I'm with Richard on this one.
This Dr. Xia bloke unnerves me. Sounds like a complete idiot on twitter. Hoping to be proved wrong. 

The one thing I've realised so far based on his time at the club is that I could definitely run a football club. 

Â