England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But people are acting like he's  got everything wrong. 

I wouldn't say he's got everything wrong, far from it, but I would say it's fair to suggest he  still doesn't know his preferred set up. Which is worrying in the middle of a tournament.

Yes you might think you have the right setup before a tournament but then it doesn't pan out that way. Go back to 66. Sir Alf didn't start with the 4-4-2 at the start of the tournament he stumbled across it.  I dont think Peters and Hurst were in the team at the start either or even Alan Ball. Fact is you play crap teams and freindlies prior to a tournament so your system isnt tested. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Genuine question that I've never figured out.

What constitutes a "successful" dribble?

How far do you have to move for it to be deemed a dribble? I assume successful just means you didn't get tackled.

But if Wayne Rooney collects the ball, runs 3 steps and then passes it, is that a successful dribble?

Sterling continually dribbling out of play probably makes up a successful dribble :P 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Genuine question that I've never figured out.

What constitutes a "successful" dribble?

How far do you have to move for it to be deemed a dribble? I assume successful just means you didn't get tackled.

But if Wayne Rooney collects the ball, runs 3 steps and then passes it, is that a successful dribble?

run in possession beating an opposing player who is attempting to tackle you - and result in a shot or successful pass afterward.

We're currently discussing how things are going to badly wrong on Monday between a couple of us in the office, we're currently torn between deciding on a penalty shootout scapegoat, or expecting a blatant handball goal being scored by Iceland resulting in "Hand of Cod" or "Fish Fingers" headlines to be run.

#InadvertentStevosLaw

• Like 1

It's ironic that after Portugal warm up Roy Said

we would have preferred to play against 11 men .. against 10 we had to play a different type of game”

So here we are still struggling to break down teams.

He can move the strikers around all he wants, but with no real target man (Caroll) and a lack of width (Townsend), we have much the same approach without the movement to pull it off.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A complete list of knockout matches that England has won at European Championships Finals:

Spain - 1996 (on penalties)

Worth noting...

and some would argue Spain were robbed that day 

also England have only got out of group stage 4 times since it was introduced in 1980

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

A complete list of knockout matches that England has won at European Championships Finals:

Spain - 1996 (on penalties)

Worth noting...

and we were outplayed by spain that day. Our record in the euros has been abysmal. Hopefully we'll put that right this time. we'll beat Iceland. Eventually the chances will go in. Question is who he plays up front? I

7 hours ago, Ryan. said:

It's ironic that after Portugal warm up Roy Said

So here we are still struggling to break down teams.

He can move the strikers around all he wants, but with no real target man (Caroll) and a lack of width (Townsend), we have much the same approach without the movement to pull it off.

Except they are pulling it off. They created enough good chances to win 2 groups, never mind the 1 and against teams that have all had 10 men behind the ball for the entire 90 minutes. This is most certainly NOT the 'same old England' that some are suggesting. 

You can't really move much against an 10 man defence. There's no space to move into. Some of the criticisms are valid, I thought he made too many changes and disrupted the flow, but they still did enough to win the game. Twice over. Shit happens, we're through, lets crack on with it. 

My team for Monday

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Lallana Rooney Ali

Sturridge Kane Rashford

Personally I think Dier has done nothing wrong, but no disrespect to Icland, we don't need a holding midfielder in this game. Iceland are going to sit 10 men behind the ball all game.

Rashford whilst definitely not the finished article is different and Iceland won't be sure what he'll do (will we?)

We then have Vardy, Barkley etc to use as impact subs if things not going well.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

My team for Monday

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Lallana Rooney Ali

Sturridge Kane Rashford

Personally I think Dier has done nothing wrong, but no disrespect to Icland, we don't need a holding midfielder in this game. Iceland are going to sit 10 men behind the ball all game.

Rashford whilst definitely not the finished article is different and Iceland won't be sure what he'll do (will we?)

We then have Vardy, Barkley etc to use as impact subs if things not going well.

Midfield looks absolutely horrendous.

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

Never underestimate a team managed by Lagerback. Will be hard to break down but England should win it.

i think with iceland an early goal is needed.i wanted lagerback when mon left to be honest.

• Like 1