England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We talk about being in the wrong side of the draw. Would playing Belgium in the quarters be easier than playing France. I don't think so!

I know what you're saying, but in that particular example I think yes, you never really want the hosts.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I know what you're saying, but in that particular example I think yes, you never really want the hosts.

so its just the home advantage then. Belgium are the higher ranked team. I think theres more flaws in the French defence that we can expose. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

so its just the home advantage then. Belgium are the higher ranked team. I think theres more flaws in the French defence that we can expose. 

It's the home advantage that tips it here yes.  There are a lot of intangibles that go with being the home side.  All things being equal I'd take France as an opponent over Belgium, but they're not equal when it's a competitive game in France.

said before, you can look at england and moan that we didnt win our group but at the end of the day neither did belgium, spain or portugal

id happily have taken iceland at this stage before the tournament began, followed by probably france then germany, well thats just tournament football isnt it? if england had topped the group would we be sat here full of confidence that we'd beat belgium and portugal? nope

when we inevitably go out to france the failure in the group will be blown out of proportion, i'll be more concerned by the nature of the france defeat

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

said before, you can look at england and moan that we didnt win our group but at the end of the day neither did belgium, spain or portugal

I agree, look at Spain/Italy in first knockout game for a match against Germany in the quarters then either  (most likely) England or France, then probably Belgium in the final. That's a tough run!

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

id happily have taken iceland at this stage before the tournament began, followed by probably france then germany, well thats just tournament football isnt it? if england had topped the group would we be sat here full of confidence that we'd beat belgium and portugal? nope

when we inevitably go out to france the failure in the group will be blown out of proportion, i'll be more concerned by the nature of the france defeat

You're right that it has turned out for the best.  But they are 2 separate issues.  It is possible and perhaps justified to complain that you can't win a group containing the sides you were up against.  The fact that the other groups' results conspired to arguably work in your favour doesn't change the original discussion point.  Law of averages means the winner usually gets the easier path.  Maybe that hasn't happened this time, but it's slightly facetious if someone was to say "Phew, glad we came runner-up" and make out it was some stroke of genius from Woy :) 

16 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I would much rather play Belgium than France. Not even close. They would be fired up beyond belief to beat their old rival England in Paris and with the home crowd behind them I think they would.

Even though France haven't looked very good?

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

Even though France haven't looked very good?

Yep. They are so physically strong, especially in midfield, and I thought they looked excellent in the 2nd half yesterday, with Griezmann unplayable. Belgium looked good yesterday and against a lacklustre Irish side but I doubt they will do it against a big side. The addition of home advantage as well means that I'd really fear for us against France.

Anyway, Iceland first!!! ;)

3 hours ago, Genie said:

After the last round of games France, even as hosts with 'home advantage' does seem the easier option than Belgium.

I thought their fans were quite poor against Ireland, though maybe an early goal is what did that.

A French team without Kante and Rami will certainly have added defenses issues too.

But it's Iceland first. We've only won 1 game, they've not lost. It's far from a bye in to the next round.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Controversial opinion alert....**

For the good of the tournament, every neutral should be wanting England to win tomorrow.

Iceland story been great but I'm stick to death of watching defence v attack games in this tournament...I want to see a proper end to end classic between two decent teams. Iceland would realistically just park the bus for 90 minutes.

England and France both have some superb attacking players but both also look weak in defence and unbalanced in central midfield. It could be similar game to England-Portugal in 2004 (with probably the same outcome).

Hope it happens..never thought I'd type these words but come on England! :ph34r:

England are crap, why would us neutrals want them to win? Plus the violence that occurred... nah you'll can go back home and mope like you'll normally do. Negativity is always associated with you'll. Goodbye!

England have played well so far. But I think it's better for neutrals if Iceland win, so far the competition has lacked a spark, a memorable moment. If Iceland were to win tonight it probably would provide that. I've a feeling it's going to be a lot tougher than people think, and Iceland might just do it.

The big boys have all gone through their respective matches so far in the knockouts.  I expect England to do the same.  It would be one of, if not the biggest upset in the history of the European Championships if Iceland were to do the unthinkable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 007√ said:

England are crap, did you not see the slovakia masterclass!? why would us neutrals want them to win? yoy get to see Rooneys dashing looks for longer? Plus the violence that occurred...They started it! nah you'll can go back home and mope like you'll normally do. mope! were getting 4 more years of mike bas....i mean Uncle Woy! Negativity is always associated with you'll.We do it so well tho, dont we? go on admit it ;) Goodbye! love you, mean it!