England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Watching the Germany v NI game it was clear to me that Germany have a superior ability to move the ball and their touch is better quality......i could see a marked distinction in quality versus us.

England had difficulty breaking down Slovakia, no doubt, but their play was not of the quality required to un do them.

for sure both sides had chances but in my view Germanys chances was much more clear cut.

Germany played better outfield but had chances that I think any of our strikers would have take, from the same position. England were criticised for their poor finishing but I feel that Germany's was worse. England's build up play should improve (and, imo, it's only a little improvement needed), so we will get the results needed.

3 hours ago, useless said:

If Eng are to win the thing then they have to play some decent teams at some point. I haven't seen anybody so far who I'd say England wouldn't have a chance against.

Yeah but with our side of the draw now we'll have to play ALL of the flippin' big boys to win it.

France, Germany, Spain, Italy all in our side.

If we'd won the group then the hardest teams on that side would be Croatia and Belgium.

Monday was a massive **** up.

• Like 4

I guess the positive is that Germany, Spain and Italy will all have knocked each other out (apart from one obviouly) before we'd meet them. 

Our route if we'd won the group would have been something like:

Rd 16: Northern Ireland/Turkey
QF: Belgium
SF: Croatia
FINAL

And now it'll be something like:

Rd 16: Hungary
QF: France
Semi: Spain/Germany (assuming Spain beat Italy)
FINAL

Basically, we're going out in the Quarter Final, if we make it that far.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

In fairness Croatia proved you can make wholesale  changes and still win. 

Agreed.

We dominated the game and we bought in strikers who didn't take their chances. I'm not sure the regular XI would've done much differently personally. But we'll never know.

We can't play slain now until final now unless I'm mistaken with their loss? I thought it would be hungry/Portugal France Germany then whoever gets in final? No chance we will win all those teams if that's the teams that get to those stages.

well done Roy you muppet

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We can't play slain now until final now unless I'm mistaken with their loss? I thought it would be hungry/Portugal France Germany then whoever gets in final? No chance we will win all those teams if that's the teams that get to those stages.

well done Roy you muppet

Spain are playing Italy, then if they win that its likely to be Germany, meaning we'd play them in the Semi's (assuming we get that far)

21 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Spain are playing Italy, then if they win that its likely to be Germany, meaning we'd play them in the Semi's (assuming we get that far)

Ah thanks for clearing that up. This new format is bloody confusing as hell 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Where have you been? I was fully expecting to be able to piss take for a few days and you disappear until now, where me piss taking would be futile. Well done though, well on your way to the QFs. :thumb:

I only come on here in work - and was off Thurs/Fri to watch the game :)

piss take all you want - England won that game and were fully deserving of it, I think Wales played the occasion rather than the game but I did dream a little at half time!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess the positive is that Germany, Spain and Italy will all have knocked each other out (apart from one obviouly) before we'd meet them. 

Our route if we'd won the group would have been something like:

Rd 16: Northern Ireland/Turkey
QF: Belgium
SF: Croatia
FINAL

And now it'll be something like:

Rd 16: Hungary
QF: France
Semi: Spain/Germany (assuming Spain beat Italy)
FINAL Wales

Basically, we're going out in the Quarter Final, if we make it that far.

:)

I think France might be an easier game than Belgium. I think our forwards can really do some damage against the French defence. If Belgium get their act together they can win the tournament. 

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think France might be an easier game than Belgium. I think our forwards can really do some damage against the French defence. If Belgium get their act together they can win the tournament. 

I don't think we there's a single game where I've thought France were particularly good. I'd be more scared of Belgium. Plus the earlier you play France, the better. Do you really want the hosts in the semi finals? 

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think we there's a single game where I've thought France were particularly good. I'd be more scared of Belgium. Plus the earlier you play France, the better. Do you really want the hosts in the semi finals? 

unless your Germany ;)