England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Hodgeson made a huge error last night, our next game isn't until 7 bloody days he didn't have to rest that many players!!!!!! if we get Portugal next round and go out he should be sacked.

had we won we could have had either northern Ireland, Czech republic, turkey and then if wales get through that they will likely play Belgium in QF. would rather play Belgium than France despite their fifa ranking. I think we could have got to the semis via that route

hodgeson has cocked up big time the imbecile

I'll stick up for Roy a bit, I thought we dominated until Slovakia started to defend like we are Barcelona and I think giving the fringe players a run out is a good idea, not least because I think there are one or two places up for grabs up top.  Who knows who we will end up playing, but I'm guessing they won't play like Slovakia did last night in a knockout stage match.  Even if it's Portugal, there isn't much to fear.  Keeping players fresh is a good thing too.  Still no excuse for Henderson though. 

Souness made the valid point after the Slovakia game that now Roy has to nail his colours to the mast.  No more experimentation.  The team that starts the next game, injuries permitting, absolutely must be the team Roy believes is his best starting 11, and that it will be very interesting to see what that team is, because up to now the Euros for Roy has been an experiment, which in itself is an indictment of any manager going into a finals tournament, not least one who has been 4 years in the job.

• Like 4

France are in the same place w.r.t. knowing their best team/formation.

Spain look pretty settled and Spain like.

Germany have clear problems up front.

Italy appear to be pretty settled but most of their game is predicated on scoring first.

Belgium won't be playing Ireland again and don't have a settled formation.

Croatia look bril, but Modric maybe knocked out of stride by that injury and who knows where their heads are.

Portugal are far too dependent on Ronaldo. Keeper is dodgy.

Who else, Poland... meh, 

So, why are you guys worrying so much. Spain, will make mincemeat of England, but there ain't a thing to fear from any other team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

England have looked better than Portugal so far.

Mental though.

Even though there's not too many around from 2006 (Ronaldo, Carvalho, Rooney and maybe Pepe?) Portugal will just have extra confidence from previous encounters.

Similar to Man. United rocking up to VP every season even if they're in poor form and we're in good form and rolling us over comfortably. 

Whilst I'm no big fan of RH and think he is a negative manager, I don't think the changes made yesterday had that much affect on England. Vardy and Sturridge having scored were always likely to start instead of Sterling and Kane. Clyne was probably our best player and did just as much as Walker has (which shows how good our eighth full backs are). Bertrand was a little nervy, but like Rose going forward there seems to be an over use of the right side with the left not being passed to. Ali has looked tired recently, so whilst he does have that bit of magic he probably needed the rest the most. Rooney, I don't think would have had the guile to unlock the defence, even though he certainly wouldn't have hidden like Wilshire. Again like the Russia game I think it was more the subs that were wrong by RH. There was no point bringing on Kane, especially when Sturridge was the only one taking someone on occasionally. Although he has been on poor form, I would've brought Barkley on last night, we needed someone to pick an intricate pass, and at times he can see things that others don't. 

As mentioned last night, we don't stretch defenses wide enough, we get 40 yards out and try to chip the ball over the top, which for defenders like Skertl are what they love. 

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Just done a table up with all possible results, seems like it could be unlikely we play Portugal unless I'm missing something?

Untitled.jpg

If Portugal beat Hungary they'll probably finish top.

I think we're most likely to be playing Hungary next.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It matters.

Like I said before, if we'd won the group, we wouldn't have met France, Spain or Germany until the Semi final, and then it would just be Spain. France and germany we couldn't meet until the final.

Now whilst I think winning it from there would still be a big ask, it's close enough to thin kit's possible. Plus, even if we did fall at the first big team hurdle, we'd have made a semi final for the first time in 20 years. That's a great result.

As it stands, we could face Portugal, Germany, France and Spain in that order. 
Emphasis on could. We'd more than likely lose to Portugal when Ronaldo finally decides to turn up.

We've made it much harder to achieve what i would consider a good result (semi final)

Yes if you meet a big boy early on and win the momentum you get from that is massive. Yes of course I would rather us the easier route. But who cares about getting to semi's anyway. Its time we won a big tournament. 

I think the Germany v Northern Ireland game has put a differentt perspective on England's performance. Germany dominated NI far more than we dominated Slovakia. They are the current World Champions and could only manage one goal. Their fans and media will not be too happy with that team! England will improve whilst the future opposition teams may not.

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If Portugal beat Hungary they'll probably finish top.

I think we're most likely to be playing Hungary next.

If Iceland win and portugual win we are playing Portugal, think we would lose against them. We always seem to bottle it against them in big tournaments

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Only if Iceland win by a bigger margin than Portugal win.

Or equal, if they both score the same amount of goals.

It will probably happen after I say this - but I can't see Iceland beating a team fighting for survival by more goals than Portugal beat a team who are already through.

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Or equal, if they both score the same amount of goals.

It will probably happen after I say this - but I can't see Iceland beating a team fighting for survival by more goals than Portugal beat a team who are already through.

Me either. 

But they probably will now. And Ronaldo will turn into his old self when they play us.

Watching the Germany v NI game it was clear to me that Germany have a superior ability to move the ball and their touch is better quality......i could see a marked distinction in quality versus us.

England had difficulty breaking down Slovakia, no doubt, but their play was not of the quality required to un do them.

for sure both sides had chances but in my view Germanys chances was much more clear cut.

• Like 1