The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

Any fresh investment would be better than we've had in the last 5yrs.

We've called for change and it looks more than likely we'll get it.

FWIW, I think Chinese Investment is a good move, particularly with the very strong Chinese community already established in Birmingham and the recent huge cash injection into their own league.

Lerner has shown it doesn't matter how rich you are if you employ the wrong people to make the financial and footballing decisions.

Hopefully the new owner(s) will form a decent board and business strategy to rebuild the club properly.

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

FWIW, I think Chinese Investment is a good move, particularly with the very strong Chinese community already established in Birmingham and the recent huge cash injection into their own league.

Gabby will definitely leave - no way would he meet the one child per family criteria.

• Like 4

The pace is quickening. There were more attempted overseas acquisitions by Chinese companies in the first four months of this year than in the whole of last year, which was itself a record, according to Derek Scissors, the resident scholar at Washington think tank the American Enterprise Institute, who tracks overseas investments made by China.

A piece i found in a telegraph article. also saw that they invested 30 billion into the uk end of last year. i think if it happens to be the chinese it wouldnt be a bad shout with all the serious investment in uk ,the last thing there goverment would want to see is a chinese company making a pigs ear of a big old football club club 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Vc's like certainty. They will see a business in an area of business they know and understand and can see exactly how they can add value with their investment often intermingling their portfolio with economies of scale and cross selling.  Football clubs have no certainty. You can invest huge sums and get it so wrong (can't you Randy).   On the face of it it looks good. Buy it cheap,  invest up front,  get to the PL and it's worth a ton more. If you are a VC why gamble on an unknown quantity like a football club where you have no experience and a volatile risk of appointing the wrong manager or chief executive or spunking money on crap players when you could buy another aerospace company to add to your tried and tested aerospace portfolio with and almost guaranteed return?  Football is way to much like gambling for VCs to work 

Well the fact Chinese investors (and others) are interested sort of suggests your assertions are bit off the mark.  For what it is worth, investors do not seek certainty, they take calculated risks. Every business carries a degree of risk, there is no such thing as certainty in business ownership, certainly not in aerospace!  Low risk investments are all very well but they offer lower returns. Higher risk investments, by contrast, offer higher returns. This is basic financial theory - higher risk, higher reward.  At this point the fact is we don't have the information at hand to know what the strategic rationale is, but football clubs all have investors and not all of them lose money.  Like others have said, there may be several reasons for buying the club - maybe they want to build their profile in the UK, maybe they think they can grow revenue in China, maybe the cub is just a vehicle for the super-rich of China to spread capital, may be they think it would look sexy to have a premier league club (objective 1) on their portfolio.  Who knows.  What I would say is there is no information to suggest that this could not be positive for the club.  As I said above, if they want to get us in the premier league again I would welcome them with open arms.  We need change.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Gabby will definitely leave - no way would he meet the one child per family criteria.

Sure he does it's just one child each, but like seven different families.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Chinese investment in Birmingham? No thanks. AVFC will be one nice little piece in the portfolio won't it, it will end very badly. 

'It' has already ended, and badly. 

There is certainly millions of pounds worth of Chinese investments in Birmingham in the near future plus new air links
 as well.China has a massive population of new football fans. This could be very good news indeed if they are serious about bringing success back to our great club

• Like 3

I agree there may be other reasons for buying a club than purely how much you can earn on it but that is the reason being put forward by the story. Also the only reason why VC`s are being mentioned is because this story mentions them. 

I am not saying that VC's avoid high risk investments I agree that is where they will make most money but they will only do it where they can see the value and how to achieve it using their knowledge and expertise. There is a reason why there are not huge swathes of VC backers in the football world. 

If you don't think aerospace is a good arena for VC's to operate in you need to Google LIBERTY HALL JOINT VENTURE L.L.C.

I just don't think this article smells right. 

I don't care where the hell they are from, what colour they are or what gods they believe in, just so long as they put the right people in place from top to bottom and pour millions into the club

If they are looking to make money then they will need to get villa back up in the premier league for starters and hopefully the Chinese people will take an interest in the club - football is growing over there and although not ideal its better than continuing under the rudderless ship we have been sailing .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Chinese investment in Birmingham? No thanks. AVFC will be one nice little piece in the portfolio won't it, it will end very badly. 

Chinese investment in Birmingham? No thanks.   LOL.  Too late mate, been happening for years and will continue to happen and to a greater extent

AVFC will be one nice little piece in the portfolio won't it.  Good if it gives us the investment we need to compete.

It will end very badly.  Not necessarily.  Could end very well.

• Like 2

Imagine if we were THE Chinese owned premier league club... Not saying that is my ambition for the club (but it could be a means to an end), just that financially speaking having a country of 2 billion people identify with our club can't be a bad thing. At the moment it's hard to see past promotion as the main short term aim, but longer term we could generate serious money just by the sheer amount of people who would know of Villa and buy the merch. 

I watched the world snooker final with Ding Junhui and the commentators said 100 million were watching it back in China... Imagine Villa having that sort of following in China. 

... But who knows.

• Like 4

If we could make some of the signings like the Chinese league clubs have been making recently, it would be a significant step up in football investment than we've ever seen here.