The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

3 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

We've been a shambles but to describe Villa (not the team, the club) as a 'dogshit' is short-sighted IMO and does a disservice to everything the club have achieved. Don't forget, it wasn't that long ago Man City were wallowing in division 2 and Chelsea were bang average -  they were nothing special, certainly no bigger or better than us.  Then they got bought out and everything changed. We have massive potential, we just need investment and leadership.  75m is pretty cheap if they get us back in the prem with the TV money.

Chelsea and man city were in far better shape than us when they were taken over.

35 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Chelsea and man city were in far better shape than us when they were taken over.

Yes, and they were far more expensive!  Man City £210m and Chelsea £140m in 2003.  So Villa are in worse shape but they are far cheaper, with potentially massive returns from TV money.  I am simply saying Villa are far from valuable than your post suggested.    

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Yes, and they were far more expensive!  Man City £210m and Chelsea £140m in 2003.  So Villa are in worse shape but they are far cheaper, with potentially massive returns from TV money.  I am simply saying Villa are far from valuable than your post suggested.    

Chelsea and Man City were more expensive due to the massive revenue potential of both clubs. Villa will never ever get close to the revenue generated by Citeh and Chelsea, Villa don't have anywhere near that potential due to the location of the club. Villa will never be anything more than an also ran ever again.

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

Chelsea and Man City were more expensive due to the massive revenue potential of both clubs. Villa will never ever get close to the revenue generated by Citeh and Chelsea, Villa don't have anywhere near that potential due to the location of the club. Villa will never be anything more than an also ran ever again.

Why is Manchester such a pull though? At best it's a marginally better City than Birmingham. I totally understand the logic when it comes to London clubs but not so much with Man City. I think Man City's revenue potential is only a function of them buying their way to the top. Once you're an established top 4 club the revenue will follow based on having big name players (merchandise) and being successful (which helps shift more merchandise + prize money etc). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I kind of disagree @KHV, the club is certainly in a promising location to enable better revenue potential.

Birmingham is currently undergoing a lot of rejuvenation and with the HS2 rail link, which will happen, it will be a big draw for business. Add in the international airport and motorway links, Birmingham is a prime location.

There is no 'bigger' club in the midlands - and I mean that sincerely, the Stadia (which has room for expansion), facilities and heritage are fantastic assets and if used properly, will generate more revenue.

The attending fanbase, whilst having dropped by several thousand due to the turgid performances are still comparable to a lot of other Premier League attendances. Give the fans something nice to watch, with a splash of hope of achieving something and Villa Park would once again be packed to the rafters.

It's certainly achievable in the right hands, unfortunately we are currently guided by a less than perfect custodian.

@Dr_Pangloss - Manchester is not a patch on Birmingham. I've worked there enough and know it well. The City Centre is no where near the standard of Brum. Manchester did well out of the 90s with the Government overlooking us and splashing lots of cash there (but it did need it to be fair).

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

Any takeover might well happen as Lerner is about as motivated as seller as he has ever been.

Leeds valued at £35 million....didn't they do a deal that meant they sold the gate receipts for 10 years for some ridiculous fee?

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Why is Manchester such a pull though? At best it's a marginally better City than Birmingham. I totally understand the logic when it comes to London clubs but not so much with Man City. I think Man City's revenue potential is only a function of them buying their way to the top. Once you're an established top 4 club the revenue will follow based on having big name players (merchandise) and being successful (which helps shift more merchandise + prize money etc). 

Manchester has a much greater global image when compared to Birmingham, especially where sport is concerned too.

8 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I kind of disagree @KHV, the club is certainly in a promising location to enable better revenue potential.

Birmingham is currently undergoing a lot of rejuvenation and with the HS2 rail link, which will happen, it will be a big draw for business. Add in the international airport and motorway links, Birmingham is a prime location.

There is no 'bigger' club in the midlands - and I mean that sincerely, the Stadia (which has room for expansion), facilities and heritage are fantastic assets and if used properly, will generate more revenue.

The attending fanbase, whilst having dropped by several thousand due to the turgid performances are still comparable to a lot of other Premier League attendances. Give the fans something nice to watch, with a splash of hope of achieving something and Villa Park would once again be packed to the rafters.

It's certainly achievable in the right hands, unfortunately we are currently guided by a less than perfect custodian.

@Dr_Pangloss - Manchester is not a patch on Birmingham. I've worked there enough and know it well. The City Centre is no where near the standard of Brum. Manchester did well out of the 90s with the Government overlooking us and splashing lots of cash there (but it did need it to be fair).

Birmingham has a shit reputation

Manchester has a much greater global image when compared to Birmingham, especially where sport is concerned too.

It's the reason the sheik bought city, the name already had global football recognition, red v blue, that noisy neighbour bollocks, ready made global marketing strategy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's the reason the sheik bought city, the name already had global football recognition, red v blue, that noisy neighbour bollocks, ready made global marketing strategy

Man Utd were alreday massive, Manchester had just hosted the commonwealth games. Manchester is globally known for boxing, multiple world champions plus the MEN arena is used to host massive fights. Manchester is globally known for it's music and I know it sounds daft but people also know it from Coronation Street!

People can say all they like about how much better Birmingham is compared to Manchester but the fact is Manchester is a much more globally attractive proposition and much more well known.

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

Man Utd were alreday massive, Manchester had just hosted the commonwealth games. Manchester is globally known for boxing, multiple world champions plus the MEN arena is used to host massive fights. Manchester is globally known for it's music and I know it sounds daft but people also know it from Coronation Street!

People can say all they like about how much better Birmingham is compared to Manchester but the fact is Manchester is a much more globally attractive proposition and much more well known.

The pull of Ken and Deirdre Barlow is world renowned! 

Although I agree that Fergie and Utd paved the way for City to be bought out and be successful. 

We just need to create our own path. 

31 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Manchester has so much more pull. So much more famous if only because of United. 

I love brum. My fave city mainly due to villa and familiarity. To many others it's bleak. I've never known anyone suggest going to Birmingham. 

6 hours ago, KJT123 said:

It's a shame because, even if we are going to be sold, I would've liked King and Bernstein to be a part of the board still. They both appear to be top class, respectable guys as well as being very good at what they actually do. 

You never know, they may be recalled to the new board.

29 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Manchester is not a patch on Birmingham. I've worked there enough and know it well. The City Centre is no where near the standard of Brum. Manchester did well out of the 90s with the Government overlooking us and splashing lots of cash there (but it did need it to be fair).

It's kind of irrelevant, but I disagree. I suppose it depends on how we each assess these things, but I think Manchester centre is really good. it's open walkable, there are loads of pubs and bars and venues for stuff. Restaurants and so on. It's a bit more joined up and less divided by traffic. There's the trams and it's a cracking place for all kinds of activities. I'd say of the two, Manchester is more user friendly, if that's the right word, and more varied and connected.

Which isn't to do down Brum, which is a lot better now that was the case even 5 or 10 years ago, and is a fine place in it's own right. There's not much in it, but to say Manchester is not a patch on Brum doesn't tally with my experience.

• Like 1

I am guessing if there is "negotiations" going on this will all happen fairly quickly. As long as Lerner is in charge, many will not renew their STs and the life of the club 'the fans' are draining away. I will struggle to renew as long as Lerner is here, but will renew immediately if we are taken over.

IF we are taken over will there be a big bounce in support and will the many who have boycotted the club return?

Edited by MikeMcKenna