The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

It really SHOULDN'T be too hard to get Villa into the PL. Our corporate revenue will still dwarf any other club in the championship other than possibly Newcastle if they come with us. If we get going properly we will get bigger crowds than anyone else

The issue is we are currently hamstrung by highly paid poorly performing players and exceptionally poor management.

Someone should be able to buy us for relatively little if Randy is ready to write off enough and get us into the PL to tap the new riches.  They will have to speculate to accumulate once we get there but it surely should be a reasonably easy job to run this club more profitably than the boggies,  Swansea,  Southampton,  sturk etc. It's just we have had such a total fcukwit in charge making suicidal decision after suicidal decision for so long

Hopefully someone with a bit of nouse and a bit of money can see this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Chelsea and Man City were more expensive due to the massive revenue potential of both clubs. Villa will never ever get close to the revenue generated by Citeh and Chelsea, Villa don't have anywhere near that potential due to the location of the club. Villa will never be anything more than an also ran ever again.

I disagree. Man City lived in the shadow of Man Utd for decades. They had no more pull than us in terms of fan base and worldwide exposure. The only reason they are where they are is because they were given a brand new stadium and some rich arabs bought them. If we were to get similar owners we would be up there.

So seeing as the consensus is that this takeover must happen and will hopefully happen soon what is the best case scenario for each of you?

Do you want a wealthy fan to buy us like @Fairy In Boots suggested? Do you want a filthy rich tycoon of sorts? A modestly rich owner? Would you be happy if the new owner seeing a need for more revenue started work on an all new stadium? Relocation? 

These are all things that can possibly happen depending on the kind of owner we manage to get.

So I know right now we just want Lerner gone, but what are everyone's thoughts on what they want when he is gone?

39 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's kind of irrelevant, but I disagree. I suppose it depends on how we each assess these things, but I think Manchester centre is really good. it's open walkable, there are loads of pubs and bars and venues for stuff. Restaurants and so on. It's a bit more joined up and less divided by traffic. There's the trams and it's a cracking place for all kinds of activities. I'd say of the two, Manchester is more user friendly, if that's the right word, and more varied and connected.

Which isn't to do down Brum, which is a lot better now that was the case even 5 or 10 years ago, and is a fine place in it's own right. There's not much in it, but to say Manchester is not a patch on Brum doesn't tally with my experience.

That pretty much describes Birmingham city centre these days. Funnily enough I was out with work on Monday night in the city centre. Of the four of us only I was a born and bred Brummie and we all agreed how fantastic the centre has become.

The amount of building work being done in the city centre at the moment is incredible. Added to that it is the number one relocation destination for those leaving London. I also read its the number one city to visit, outside  London, for overseas visitors. It has more Michelin starred restaurants than any other place outside London. The city is ram full of Chinese visitors. HSBC are coming (1,650 jobs). There's a software company relocating to the Mail Box (400 jobs) to name just a couple. HS2 is coming. Birmingham City Uni is relocating to by Millennium Point, Grand Central has just opened. Loads of flats are being built. Personally I think it has or will eclipse Manchester.

When Lerner bought the club I remember reading an article by one of the football academics who praised his choice saying the potential catchment area for fans was north as far as Sheffield and south as far as Oxford and west as far as Cheltenham. OK Stoke and Leicester are now successful but they are hardly big clubs (it just shows how much Lerner has cocked up too!).

Overall I don't think the location, accepting London is still the big draw, is a problem. Added to that there is no club to buy in Manchester and probably not Liverpool either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daweii said:

So seeing as the consensus is that this takeover must happen and will hopefully happen soon what is the best case scenario for each of you?

Do you want a wealthy fan to buy us like @Fairy In Boots suggested? Do you want a filthy rich tycoon of sorts? A modestly rich owner? Would you be happy if the new owner seeing a need for more revenue started work on an all new stadium? Relocation? 

These are all things that can possibly happen depending on the kind of owner we manage to get.

So I know right now we just want Lerner gone, but what are everyone's thoughts on what they want when he is gone?

I just want it to be fun again. For the football to be the main talking point. To look forward to games - having Saturday as the thing to look forward to all week.

So just anyone who can deliver that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Chelsea and Man City were more expensive due to the massive revenue potential of both clubs. Villa will never ever get close to the revenue generated by Citeh and Chelsea, Villa don't have anywhere near that potential due to the location of the club. Villa will never be anything more than an also ran ever again.

Can't agree with that. Sheik Mansour bought the second club in a city and the rest is history. He bought potential and a fanbase similar to ours. If we are sold for £75m it is a steal IMO

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Can't agree with that. Sheik Mansour bought the second club in a city and the rest is history. He bought potential and a fanbase similar to ours. If we are sold for £75m it is a steal IMO

End of the day you don't need to spend millions and millions to get a team promoted from the championship. Yes you see more fees now of 9-10m down there but that tends to be on one individual player, usually a striker like Andre Gray or Rhodes.

Teams like Boro, Burnley, Brighton are coming up with a mixture of home grown players, free transfers (Barton) and youth team products from premier league teams (Ayala) as mainstays in their first 11.

It's not like the premier league where you spend 50m just to finish bottom and be one of the worst sides of all time.

I see this as a good opportunity, new owner can come in and hopefully inject a bit of positivity and if we pick up some results early on it will start looking better. Won't be great initally as they'll have to prop up our losses but the big TV deal is the incentive surely or is it not important all of a sudden?

Edit: It shouldn't be impossible to sell the club now. Southampton and Leicester were both in the championship when they were sold to ultimately forward thinking consortium and well their current positions in the premier league reflect how many good decisions both clubs have made. Can't remember what price either went for though. 

Edited by VillaChris

7 hours ago, avfcwills10 said:

OMG I took this picture at the Norwich game and now it all makes sense!!

It's been Larry Ellison all along!!!! I even heard he's had a season ticket for the last 2 years to make sure it's 100% the right club for him!!!!

ellison.jpg

Lets hope its not in the upper tier of the Trinity Road Stand!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Birmingham is a fine city. It has far more to offer than Manchester ever will......we just dont promote it or shout loud enough about it. The potential in Birmingham is enormous and buying Villa for 75 mil is a real snip for someone with the necessary ambition and vision and RL clearly lacks. If we can attract the right manager and give him a realustic budget to work with its onward and upwards....we will NOT be in the doldrums for too much longer! 

This is a bit off topic but I work with a lot of people from Europe, many of whom live in Birmingham centre.  Honestly, they talk about Birmingham in glowing terms. Perhaps they don't have the baggage some of us do, but they see the city as a large, vibrant, diverse up and coming city. There is also massive investment happening all over the place. And, what people often miss is we are a 'much' bigger city than Manchester population wise - almost twice as big with 1.2 million people!  That is pretty healthy for any football club, we just haven't exploited it because we've been woeful for so many years.  So without getting into sterile debates about which city is better (all subjective) I cannot agree Villa's potential is somehow limited because we are not in Manchester.  That is just wrong.  Our potential is limited because we don't have their cash.

• Like 4

this Manchester is better than Birmingham shit is utter nonsense and has absolutely jack shit to to with any takeover. Its like my dad is bigger than yours playground stuff !!!!!

The takeover that our chairman is ''in extensive negotiations to sell'' imo its utter bull shit and yet another Randy (the worst owner we have had) Lerner smoke screen.

Its like me trying to sell my house. I have a for sale board in the front garden. I am in extensive negotiations to sell. People have looked but nobody has made an offer. But i am still in extensive negotiations to sell, or so the estate agent tells me.

Edited by imavillan

12 minutes ago, imavillan said:

this Manchester is better than Birmingham shit is utter nonsense and has absolutely jack shit to to with any takeover.  Relates to an earlier point about why anyone would buy villa.

The takeover that our chairman is ''in extensive negotiations to sell'' imo its utter bull shit and yet another Randy (the worst owner we have had) Lerner smoke screen.  Could be but why would King say what he did on Bloomberg today?

Its like me trying to sell my house. I have a for sale board in the front garden. I am in extensive negotiations to sell. People have looked but nobody has made an offer. But i am still in extensive negotiations to sell, or so the estate agent tells me.  With respect, it is not.