The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just thought, as a compromise, couldn't we have something like "VILLA PARK powered by Recon/Lotus" etc or something along the lines with the sponsor font smaller underneath etc?

tIIYr2U.png

Perhaps not a good idea after all...

Edited by meme
  • Like 1

I guess the question is:

Rename Villa Park and circumvent FFP ala City, or go down traditional sponsorship routes and be hamstrung by the amount that Xia can inject every year?

Renaming the stadium is part of the modern football, and I don't think most fans would have a problem if it'd be something like "Lotus Villa Park" or something similar.

I dislike how money driven football is nowdays, it always has been but now it's even more than before. 

He can rename it Tony Xias dream factory for all I care, as long as it pumps money in to the club

it will always be villa park and I will always be going up the villa at the weekend 

there's a sense of inevitability surrounding things like this, might as well jump in now 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

Apparently the club refused to answer questions on a name chance for Villa Park, at Thursday's press conference. Maybe something they're still thinking about.

The whole press conference was streamed live on the AVFC Facebook (and is probably still available to watch), and the naming of Villa Park wasn't mentioned.

There was an hour and a half of press interviews after the PC, but I'm sure I saw a report that Wyness said that Villa Park wouldn't be renamed.

15 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Hard to believe really. Time you were gone, too, Doug.

Doug has no official role at Villa but he is the president of that dubai airline which is a bit of a coop for him at his age 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mwj said:

I guess the question is:

Rename Villa Park and circumvent FFP ala City, or go down traditional sponsorship routes and be hamstrung by the amount that Xia can inject every year?

Well that depends what it is renamed to and how transparent the related party connection is. If it becomes Recon or Lotus Villa Park then it's a clear and direct connection to a company owned by Xia; it doesn't circumvent anything. 

There's also the question of fair value. He wouldn't be able to just rename Villa Park and 'pay' £500m for the right to do so without serious questions being asked. 

We're a Championship club, and we haven't won a trophy for twenty years, there's a fair value for naming rights of our stadium and, unfortunately, I doubt it would amount to all that much. 

• Like 2

Renaming the stadium while at the same time redeveloping the north stand might be a way to go.

Would add value to the stadium, making it a higher value advertisement spot, making him able to put more money into the deal?

Don't know how it works so I am just guessing :)

15 hours ago, tismyk said:

Probably a better Villa Fan than most including me, who post on here, very rarely misses a match and in his 90`s.

I remember what it was like before he came,

Yeah. We won the League and the European Cup.

And he came from Birmingham City, quite the Villa fan. First owner to pay himself a salary. Penny-pinching egomaniac. If you had a free seat in the directors box, would you not be there every week.

• Like 4

I don't see the point from Xia's perspective of renaming the ground to Lotus VIlla Park, no one's going to see that and associate the word 'Lotus' with a a particular Chinese food brand, I'm not even sure if people living in China would. Plus I'm pretty sure we wouldn't get any sponsorship money in that scenario

I know we are all just chatting, and I know full well the reasons why people would be unhappy about Ellis ( I suffered along with the rest !), but he's a very old man who will disappear of his own accord soon. I would actually find it quite unpleasant if the new guys gave him the boot.

• Like 4