The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

On 6/17/2016 at 18:23, Chicken Field said:

In the Faroe Islands (not very big merchandising franchise) I would say about 95% of football interested people passionately support an English team (and I know it's the same through all Scandinavia). For me it is only Villa, but Faroese people tend to like the clubs that have something to do with the Faroe islands (for example a Faroese player or something), though this is very very rare for us (only one Faroese player has played in the premier league and that was only for 30 minutes or so). Premier league is the big thing in Scandinavia, and people are more passionate about it than the local football. 

Have a like just for being from the Faroe Islands. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2016 at 21:24, TheStagMan said:

I quite like the idea of a Villa family of clubs, with Aston Villa at the pinnacle, and feeder/franchise clubs in other countries growing the brand throughout Europe, and the MLS and China.

Imagine the talent that we would be able to draw from the youth players in those clubs, who see Villa as the parent club and their driving ambition is to get themselves playing there. 

Lovely thought - lets hope Xia can pull it off. 

Until China sees through with its ultimate ambition of having the most powerful league in the world and then we become the feeder club for Bejing Villa or whatever.  And if conquer the footballing world is what they want to do then they will do it and whatever money Sky can pump into the PL will be insignificant once they get into their stride. 

On 21 June 2016 at 16:11, useless said:

Yes, we need to be careful not to antagonize anyone if we're trying to make a name for ourselves on their shores.

I think the model is more about player recruitment than income generation or at least that's how I'm reading it.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2016 at 21:24, TheStagMan said:

I quite like the idea of a Villa family of clubs, with Aston Villa at the pinnacle, and feeder/franchise clubs in other countries growing the brand throughout Europe, and the MLS and China.

Imagine the talent that we would be able to draw from the youth players in those clubs, who see Villa as the parent club and their driving ambition is to get themselves playing there. 

Lovely thought - lets hope Xia can pull it off. 

Read a few twitter posts that Xia wants to potentially buy Brisbane Roar in the Australian A-League.

They are up for sale at the moment.

Take like a pinch of salt but if any truth in it that would be a great start

Edited by Villan4Life

7 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Read a few twitter posts that Xia wants to potentially buy Brisbane Roar in the Australian A-League.

Even though I'm based near Melbourne, I'd jump on the Roar bandwagon if this was to turn into a City Group like setup. 

7 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Any link? I can find any reference to it on Twitter, what I find is they are trying to sign Holman! Imagine us owning that carthorse again!

They've got the right badge. Looking on one of their forums, there's definitely speculation about ownership and they seem to be in a bit of state at the moment, but no speculation on Xia, as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, useless said:

They've got the right badge. Looking on one of their forums, there's definitely speculation about ownership and they seem to be in a bit of state at the moment, but no speculation on Xia, as far as I can see.

There are recent articles online saying a sale is agreed to another party so donMt see anything in this myself.

• Like 1

I'm not really bothered if Xia buys loads of other clubs, I only care about one club to be honest. He's bought us so I'd prefer for him to see through on this venture rather than get bored and move on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Any link? I can find any reference to it on Twitter, what I find is they are trying to sign Holman! Imagine us owning that carthorse again!

This is one i saw a few days ago. Saw another 2/3 other tweets when i searched for more but although guy says "He is hoping" noticed he works in journalism in Australia and has articles in various football magazines. Maybe he might have heard something and he is hoping.

Edited by Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we've really got much choice judging by Wyness's comments. Hopefully it will be beneficial to Villa's cause rather than detrimental.

True, it looks likely Xia is going to buy some other clubs according to what's been said so far. If it's beneficial to Villa then fair enough, but I'm not excited by the thought of it really. We shall see though. 

I suppose it's exciting for some, I guess because it's seen as further evidence of Xia's financial credentials, although I don't think it would cost heaps to buy an A-league team. City only bought Melbourne for about £12M.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I suppose it's exciting for some, I guess because it's seen as further evidence of Xia's financial credentials, although I don't think it would cost heaps to buy an A-league team. City only bought Melbourne for about £12M.

Are there any smallish Dutch or German clubs up for sale at the moment? as the talent coming out of those leagues would be excellent to snap up with proper systems in place and would be mega exciting.

A Dutch club would be good for bringing  a few South American youngsters over for a few years before they get a work permit/meet criteria to move to the mighty Villa :) 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1