The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

8 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Can you guys in foreign lands answer me this question.  Do all the people that follow the teams over there have an English team too? Or is the support split with Spain, Italy and so on?

if so if European clubs had affiliates in your country would you automatically gravitate to them as opposed to your local team?

Just trying to see if there is a definite fanbase in place already for Doc X's idea.

I would take a keen interest in Villa teams abroad for sure would be great viewing!

Don't have an affinity with an A league or MLS team at the moment. Had a soft sport for Chivas when Angel was there but that's it!

In the Faroe Islands (not very big merchandising franchise) I would say about 95% of football interested people passionately support an English team (and I know it's the same through all Scandinavia). For me it is only Villa, but Faroese people tend to like the clubs that have something to do with the Faroe islands (for example a Faroese player or something), though this is very very rare for us (only one Faroese player has played in the premier league and that was only for 30 minutes or so). Premier league is the big thing in Scandinavia, and people are more passionate about it than the local football. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Duck said:

Would having a Chinese owner do anything? You might have answered this before. This goes back to how much coverage there was in China of the takeover I guess.

Exactly. The coverage is key. People cannot follow a club without watching their games.

6 hours ago, Duck said:

The problem we'll have is getting  work permits for Chinese players. At the very least we'd need a bunch of Chinese sponsors.

That is why, if Villa wants to fully utlise the China's market, a few satallite clubs in other EU countries will definitely help. Otherwise it will cost a lot to get the work permit.

6 hours ago, Duck said:

But I'd imagine an English team with a Chinese owner would be quite popular in China? Especially if he's quite outspoken as he has been recently?

Yes, it will certainly be popular. But having Chinese players in the squad will help increase the fan base to another 100 times more. Seriously, having young talented Chinese players in 18-19 yos after they attended training camps in Spain after 5-6 years (there are hundreds of them now), and then give them chances of first team football if they are good enough. If not, sell them back to China super league for 100x profit. 

Edited by Deisler123

22 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Absolutely none at all, was just a question pal :)

Fair enough! In which case no. I don't think he will as there's absolutely no reason to suggest they will fail. It's just a formality.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Can you guys in foreign lands answer me this question.  Do all the people that follow the teams over there have an English team too? Or is the support split with Spain, Italy and so on?

if so if European clubs had affiliates in your country would you automatically gravitate to them as opposed to your local team?

Just trying to see if there is a definite fanbase in place already for Doc X's idea.

I would take a keen interest in Villa teams abroad for sure would be great viewing!

Don't have an affinity with an A league or MLS team at the moment. Had a soft sport for Chivas when Angel was there but that's it!

The A League is a fairly new concept, it's only about a decade old. Previously most of the Australian clubs were ethnically based and as such there was violence etc. Some people are very, very passionate about their A League club but i've never been able to get behind it despite nominally supporting my local club, Adelaide United.

Most people will follow a local club as well as an English team closely, and some will follow another European team as well, but English teams are by far the most common. I'd be happy for Adelaide United to fold if it meant Villa winning a meaningless preseason game :) I imagine a lot of people would be the same.

Soccer is behind the other football codes in terms of support but is still very popular over here and is the most played junior sport in the country. The A League has done wonders for it's general popularity. Man City have already done this sort of thing by taking over one of the Melbourne based clubs.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The A League is a fairly new concept, it's only about a decade old. Previously most of the Australian clubs were ethnically based and as such there was violence etc. Some people are very, very passionate about their A League club but i've never been able to get behind it despite nominally supporting my local club, Adelaide United.

Most people will follow a local club as well as an English team closely, and some will follow another European team as well, but English teams are by far the most common. I'd be happy for Adelaide United to fold if it meant Villa winning a meaningless preseason game :) I imagine a lot of people would be the same.

Soccer is behind the other football codes in terms of support but is still very popular over here and is the most played junior sport in the country. The A League has done wonders for it's general popularity. Man City have already done this sort of thing by taking over one of the Melbourne based clubs.

This. I'm with Sydney FC by default. No real passion for them like I do with Villa. I support my rugby league side more than Sydney FC. I guess it is a new competition. But if there is a villa side somewhere. Pretty sure I'd be more inclined to ditch Sydney and go with the villa side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tismyk said:

Here`s the proof Lerner has gone,

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-takeover-picture-shows-11491739

It's official. Randy Lerner has left Aston Villa!

Yes, we all knew that anyway after Tony Xia's takeover was ratified by the football authorities and the new owner was officially unveiled this week.

But now Lerner's departure has been confirmed on Companies House.

Hard to believe really. Time you were gone, too, Doug.

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Hard to believe really. Time you were gone, too, Doug.

He wasn't on the board, nor a member of Lerner's company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yes. Everyone knows that. I meant he is still hanging around like a bad memory.

Probably a better Villa Fan than most including me, who post on here, very rarely misses a match and in his 90`s.

I remember what it was like before he came,