The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

When you consider that our new owners could have been anyone, with any amount (or lack!) of money, this takeover is actually really exciting.

We could have ended up with a guy who had enough to purchase the club, but not much more, putting us in the same position we'd have been with Lerner, scraping by with minimal investment and prospects every year.

We could have been bought by a consortium of good-intentioned fans who only managed to scrape the money together with outside investment and loans. Who knows who could have taken us over!

Obviously we don't know how Xia's ownership will turn out, but for the moment, I'd say it's all looking very promising. Even his talks of buying other clubs/ building a theme park etc, even though they're very ambitious ideas, the fact he's even talking about it seriously must mean he has a decent amount of money to attempt it, and it shows that he has huge ambitions for us.

I can't wait for it to all go through. As soon as it does, I'd imagine all the interviews with Xia, Wyness, RDM, Clarke etc will start to flood through, and we'll probably hear even more plans for the future.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

they wont, the way their elections work mean that there wont be an overhaul of that magnitude, they've identified sport as a way of world domination cant see that changing

think the biggest danger is them losing interest if we're a slow burner

'They' don't have 'elections', that's the thing. 

(Actually, to be fair, there are elections at the village and township level, but there aren't any elections that we would recognise as such). 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

(Actually, to be fair, there are elections at the village and township level, but there aren't any elections that we would recognise as such). 

A bit like the EU? :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

Isn't it a possibility that Xia's being used as a front for the government?

its possible, but...

Xia said the team itself could be profitable if properly managed. "We believe sports teams can make profit and there are examples of that in the English Premier League already, that's why we bought Aston Villa - for its business potential, not as a personal indulgence"

I really hope we're not owned by the Chinese government in any way, shape or form.

I put human rights before football, which I why I won't be watching the World Cup in Qatar. I'd hate to have to stop watching Villa for the same reason. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

the low level government is voted for by the people, the elected then vote for the high level government

it would be like us voting for MPs and then MPs voting for the PM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

the low level government is voted for by the people, the elected then vote for the high level government

it would be like us voting for MPs and then MPs voting for the PM

No, that really isn't at all how it works. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, that really isn't at all how it works. 

yes it is, the public elect people on to a local peoples congress who then have control of the positions such as mayor etc and elect people to the national peoples congress

I'd like to understand what a "change of government" looks like in a totalitarian dictatorship. But not in this thread.

Tbf, totalitarian dictatorship is both a bit much and not factually accurate. The Chinese government are not Hitler or Mussolini...

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yes it is, the public elect people on to a local peoples congress who then have control of the positions such as mayor etc and elect people to the national peoples congress

The point I'm disagreeing with is that it would be like us voting for MPs and then MPs voting for the PM. Sorry, I should have been clearer about that. 

Your point about the actual make-up of the NPC is correct (though these aren't competitive elections - there are a maximum of 110 candidates allowed per 100 seats). However, while the NPC does technically 'elect' the President, the actual decision is taken in the 7 to 9-man Politburo Standing Committee. Members of the NPC exercise no control over the process whatsoever, and when they attempt to get involved in active campaigning for higher positions - as Bo Xilai did - it doesn't tend to 'end well'. 

It's also important to understand that, whatever it says in China's constitution, there are two parallel structures, the party and the state, and - again, despite the theory - in practice the party is always more important than the state. The NPC (which is a 'state' institution, not a 'party' institution) is almost entirely a 'rubber stamp' body that agrees with whatever it gets told to do. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back on topic, there's absolutely no reason to believe that 'we've been bought by the Chinese government'. 

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

I really hope we're not owned by the Chinese government in any way, shape or form.

I put human rights before football, which I why I won't be watching the World Cup in Qatar. I'd hate to have to stop watching Villa for the same reason. 

I get your point, but consider sponsors such as adidas, Nike, McDonalds, etc. I wonder what their human rights records are like when it comes to where their products are made, the working conditions of their staff and how much they're paid...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

I live in Qatar (Have done so on and of since 1991), and yes, while some things are bad, it would appear you are another victim of the sensationalist media.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, limpid said:

I'd like to understand what a "change of government" looks like in a totalitarian dictatorship. But not in this thread.

Maybe in this thread then?..

I didn't suggest it would be soon. But that guy will be out of power at some point. If his successor doesn't share his passion for football, I just worry about us being strung up to dry. Because IF the Chinese government is involved you can't see them being particular interested in keeping us self sufficient.

It's a lot of IF's I know, but it is a big Unknown, having this sort of ownership.

Edited by limpid
fixed stupid tapatalk link

So is all ownership. Part of being owned by a person, or group of people, is that the club is subject to the whims of that individual. I don't like it either, but it's the nature of the beast so to speak.

A government could get bored, a billionaire could get bored, or any other outcome. I just don't see government ownership (if that's what this is) as being more or less reliable that an individual. Except maybe that the Chinese Government isn't exactly going to be voted out any time soon.