The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well I shall definitely be thinking about the overall Chinese government record on human rights when Aston Villa, of Aston, owned by a Chinese business person who seems a great lad, are winning the premier league in five years.

What on earth has all of that got to do with the price of a cup of tea?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True in part, but also goes for many countries in the middle east, as well as africa and others. However the flip side is that a higher percentage of expats here get to live a much higher quality of life here than they would at home. There are some people here who would appear to be "suffering" who have managed to build "mansions" back home. It is just a shame that the media can always shine a huge light on all the negatives, run with it, and never the positives. 

In fairness in this day and age everyone coming here should know what they are signing up for, the customs and culture etc.

I have personally been "victim" to certain "unfair" practices myself to a lesser extent, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. 

In all honestly all countries/governments have their shady and secretive sides.

If you follow the Western Media, for people who have no real idea about this side of the world, you would think women and children are being abused and burned in the streets, and whipped.

When in truth you can go to a nightclub, get pissed, pickup hookers, party with locals etc etc (Obviously off topic but you get the point).

Yes, some truth in that. Many Nepali's who work in Qatar are able to comeback and build houses (although I'm yet to see anyone build a mansion), the price of that is being away from their families and children for, typically,  3 to 5 years at a time, with no opportunity to come back under any circumstances (including post-earthquake). I doubt whether they truly have a higher quality of life for the most part, being away from families and working long hours, with little disposable income. While life at home is often difficult as well, many people manage to live a simple but reasonably happy existence.

Those coming from Nepal often don't know what they are getting into. The employment agencies are unscrupulous and exploitative on the Nepali side, and newspapers don't carry lots of investigative reporting (for those able to read them), so the working conditions and having passports confiscated does come as a shock to many. Most Nepali's have to work 12 months just to pay off the agency fees. 

No doubt it goes for a lot of other countries (and there are about a quarter of a million people in slavery in Nepal itself), I picked on Qatar because the I was making the point about human rights vs football, so it was relevant. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Not even the bit about Aston Villa, in Aston? 

30 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Nothing you'd posted in our exchange up to that point had anything to do with Aston Villa. ;)

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

Yes, some truth in that. Many Nepali's who work in Qatar are able to comeback and build houses (although I'm yet to see anyone build a mansion), the price of that is being away from their families and children for, typically,  3 to 5 years at a time, with no opportunity to come back under any circumstances (including post-earthquake). I doubt whether they truly have a higher quality of life for the most part, being away from families and working long hours, with little disposable income. While life at home is often difficult as well, many people manage to live a simple but reasonably happy existence.

Those coming from Nepal often don't know what they are getting into. The employment agencies are unscrupulous and exploitative on the Nepali side, and newspapers don't carry lots of investigative reporting (for those able to read them), so the working conditions and having passports confiscated does come as a shock to many. Most Nepali's have to work 12 months just to pay off the agency fees. 

No doubt it goes for a lot of other countries (and there are about a quarter of a million people in slavery in Nepal itself), I picked on Qatar because the I was making the point about human rights vs football, so it was relevant. 

What I can say, is that the government has been trying to implement and change alot of the procedures. However as you can imagine it is difficult to put certain things into place with old and new tribes/factions being in control in certain industries and parts of the hierarchy etc. Some aresoles will never leave their way of imperialistic thinking if you know what I mean.

Anyway, can we just enjoy what hopefully can become a positive era for us please?! lol. We hardly ever get to!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyway, can we just enjoy what hopefully can become a positive era for us please?! lol. We hardly ever get to!

Are you new here? :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Tony Blair, illegal war, thousands killed, thanks to the squeaky clean and oh so ethical UK government. Point being, the Chinese are a great bunch of lads.

grey evening, cloudy, football on, boring football, Belgium, dreadful anthem, worse than England, head turning, neck swivel, Jareth comment, stream-of-consciousness rising, falling, no sense it makes, oh well cup of tea time

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True in part, but also goes for many countries in the middle east, as well as africa and others. However the flip side is that a higher percentage of expats here get to live a much higher quality of life here than they would at home. There are some people here who would appear to be "suffering" who have managed to build "mansions" back home. It is just a shame that the media can always shine a huge light on all the negatives, run with it, and never the positives. 

In fairness in this day and age everyone coming here should know what they are signing up for, the customs and culture etc.

I have personally been "victim" to certain "unfair" practices myself to a lesser extent, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. 

In all honestly all countries/governments have their shady and secretive sides.

If you follow the Western Media, for people who have no real idea about this side of the world, you would think women and children are being abused and burned in the streets, and whipped.

When in truth you can go to a nightclub, get pissed, pickup hookers, party with locals etc etc (Obviously off topic but you get the point).

You can't beat a bit of perspective.

Just under 8 weeks til the season kicks off, I know 48hrs doesn't make a great difference, but I really would like them to crack on with making us good at football again.

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

I can learn so much from you.....you should be a journalist.I have genuinely enjoyed this.

..........but we are in Aston