The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

26 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

When you think the season kicks off in 9 weeks - it is going to be a very interesting transfer window!

Yes mate. I have to say that I'm not inspired when I see people mentioning Steven Fletcher etc. While my brain has accepted our championship status, my heart still cannot accept the type of player we're being linked to. I'm hoping that RDM will pull a rabbit or two out of the hat. If we get £30mil ploughed in, its not unrealistic to see another £20mil on top from sales. Lets hope that whatever is spent is spent more wisely than it has been in previous seasons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

He already said when he proved his worth somewhat with that bank statement of £400+ million ready to be used that much of it was for Villa. I doubt this is a Randy style "let's spend big to get them on side and then be tight for several years" kind of thing. Xia has plans for world domination with us and you don't achieve that with just £35 million normally.

World domination wouldn't be achieved with 400m. Such is the nature of the game today, it wouldn't even achieve Premier League domination. 

3 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

World domination wouldn't be achieved with 400m. Such is the nature of the game today, it wouldn't even achieve Premier League domination. 

It will get us where we want to be though, and then some.

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

If we spend it wisely enough I think £35m + income from sales is enough to get out of the championship.

Main concern is wage bill though, sure some have left but think to attract real quality we have to pay the wages required which I think we might this time.

Seems we are already looking for a keeper and a striker so it's a good start not to mention the defender we are supposedly close to signing.

We should be able to compete with the teams from the lower end of the PL for players in my opinion.

£35m would be a record spend for the division and would buy most of the most expensive Championship first XI, so it's definitely enough money.

The relevant question is a] is it really there, and b] is it going to be spent wisely. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But they didn't gave to rebuild an entire squad so they didn't need much more than £10M

I can't understand how so many people are pointing to our budget as unbelievable,  far ahead of any other previous teams spending.  We are going to have to buy far more players than any previous team. There are almost none we either want to keep or will be able to keep. We will need almost a new first team.  It's scary and we have to get it right. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I can't understand how so many people are pointing to our budget as unbelievable,  far ahead of any other previous teams spending.  We are going to have to buy far more players than any previous team. There are almost none we either want to keep or will be able to keep. We will need almost a new first team.  It's scary and we have to get it right. 

Same situation as last summer, the difference being we have a lot of cash to spend. I trust RDM to get it right, more than any of the muppets we've had since Graham Taylor 2.0.

In all honesty we don't really need a whole new team do we! A few quality additions and it changes the whole outlook of the team. 

£35m is a fantastic budget for the second tier of English football. I doubt Newcastle will spend massively after spending so big last summer and in January. 

5 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

When you think the season kicks off in 9 weeks - it is going to be a very interesting transfer window!

With all the optimism after the takeover, and the new Manager, its worth remembering that we are only 9 weeks out. Our squad is one of the worst to every grace the PL, there is so so much work to be done. 

My hope is that RDM was sounded out about the job a long time ago, as such probably started assessing the squad weeks/months ago, and will know exactly what we need. 

18 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

In all honesty we don't really need a whole new team do we! A few quality additions and it changes the whole outlook of the team. 

£35m is a fantastic budget for the second tier of English football. I doubt Newcastle will spend massively after spending so big last summer and in January. 

I think we have had an unbalanced squad in many aspects physically and mentally.....We also don't know what toll has affected everyone coaches, players ,CEO's by the bizarre world of RL.

In terms of what we witnessed last season and the results & performances, you would be excused for saying , clearout.

However, we don't know what the new look backroom staff can salvage from the wreckage.....a few different types could get a response from some we have written off, maybe not but only they will know.

My worry is we have spent too many years accomodating players and it has been a contributing factor of where we are....I don't think this new regime will be so passive with accepting that.

I think we need to find characters, particularly for the spine of the team and especially for the division we are in.....we need to re-ignite the togetherness.

We have had too many lightweights over the years and I don't just mean physical stature.....most definitely mental approach too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

A new attitude can unlock so many things, that we thought wasn't there....It can surprise us all.

I am hoping that that along with the surgery ..... will be the case.

Its like some posters have said already all the changes in the world seemed to make no difference under RL....so we can only wait and see if he was the poison we suspected.

Tony Xia could lift everyone's spirits ( baring those poor souls that have been made redundant, of course) and who knows where that can take us.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we need to change the squad as much as some people think. Providing we don't lose too many players, then I think six or seven new signings, should be enough.

That's still over 63%! I agree that these changes are probably needed but it is still a significant percentage.

Of the first team but not the whole squad. thirty five Million plus, should be plenty. I think we might spend big on a striker then I imagine the rest will made up of signing for around three million, plus maybe a couple of loans from Premier teams.

On paper, I would agree we don't need to change too much. A few quality additions should do it.

However, I'm very worried about the mental state of all players in last year's team. If we start the season poorly, these players will be wobbly and useless. Therefore, we need to make more changes than it would seem, even if we could hang onto many players.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

So does Randy still own the club?

:trollface:

He does

I can't believe so many people are falling for the fake doctor routine.... all this just to sell an extra few thousand season tickets

latest?cb=20120509073411

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 4

Me personally, I would like to keep the 4 French signings plus Adama. Of the rest, I'd have Grealish. Out of that lot, I think we'll keep 3 maximum.

That means in an ideal world there will be 8 new starters come kick off in August.

In this league, with games coming thick and fast, we then need at least another 2 squad players., ideally 4.

We somehow need to get rid of the Sherwood signings plus Gabby, Guzan & Bacuna. I can live with Hutton, Clark and Westwood as squad players under the circumstances.

Hopefully, the cups will be used as games to play a reserve side. I'd be happy to get knocked out in the first round of both.

8 hours ago, Daweii said:

Yeah when the likes of Middlebrough only spent like £10 million last season it's crazy that we are looking at potentially £50+ million if some of our better players move on. That said we are in a position of power as if Ayew/Gana/Amavi/Veretout don't leave then we keep them and still have £35 million to spend. 

Didn't we spend £50m to fall out of the Premier League?

• Like 1