The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Are we sold yet?

Well some Chinese geezer offered a curly wurly and a packet of crisps, but we're holding out for a can of coke with that.. So the deal is in the air right now.

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Not defending this top three in the world statement but he could be thinking about fan base, rather than winning European cups.  If they push the Villa brand hard enough, and IF we start to get some success, he probably thinks he can leverage the brand in China now we have a strong Chinese connection.  China's population is over double that of the entire European Union - gives you some idea of the growth potential.

Why not defend it. **** it, I will...

Why the hell not? Why not be ridiculously ambitious? Fair play, I admire it. 

• Like 4

Renaming Villa Park to Lotus Villa Park is on the cards - fair enough, keeps the name but also gives exposure to Dr Tone's brand, can't say I mind. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-aston-villa-owner-dr-11359590

“We want to use Villa's history and its substantial fan base around the world to also promote Lotus Health products and services globally.

“The ideal scenario would be for fans to enjoy Lotus Health products at Lotus Villa Park, it would be a great great advert for both brands."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why not defend it. **** it, I will...

Why the hell not? Why not be ridiculously ambitious? Fair play, I admire it. 

thats always been our problem,we dont like to aim too high. cant remember who said it years ago,might of been graham taylor but they said aston villa have always been a big club,but they can never make that next step to turning into a huge club.

A few short days ago, the dream scenario was that we saw the back of Lerner, and got bought out by a rich individual who has drive, ambition and a view of a (bright) future for the club.

The icing on the cake would be that a new owner would be Wanda, who would have access to serious money and more importantly would have high level contacts that 'might' lead to untold riches and future glory days.

Well, other than it not being Wanda, but by all accounts is just as successful, it's seems eveything other part of the dream could come true.

The Hollis interview on the BBC website is incredibly interesting and suggests that this really could be 'game changing'.

I am not wet behind the ears or naive, and certainly don't take eveything  I read or hear at face value, but I really want to believe that the people involved in this deal, on both sides, are the experienced, knowledgeable and honest enough for this to be the real deal......literally.

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Renaming Villa Park to Lotus Villa Park is on the cards - fair enough, keeps the name but also gives exposure to Dr Tone's brand, can't say I mind. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-aston-villa-owner-dr-11359590

“We want to use Villa's history and its substantial fan base around the world to also promote Lotus Health products and services globally.

“The ideal scenario would be for fans to enjoy Lotus Health products at Lotus Villa Park, it would be a great great advert for both brands."

i'm in the camp of couldn't give a rats arse on what the renaming of the ground might be, if it brings awareness, global exposure and therefore revenue with it that makes us move on to another level it could be called anything you like.....but it will always for ever be known as VILLA PARK

• Like 3

Just now, imavillan said:

i'm in the camp of couldn't give a rats arse on what the renaming of the ground might be, if it brings awareness, global exposure and therefore revenue with it that makes us move on to another level it could be called anything you like.....but it will always for ever be known as VILLA PARK

I agree. Technically it is still called Villa Park, just you don't technically have to say the first bit, you could cough it, cough Villa Park. 

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The lotus flower is symbolic of rebirth in some Eastern traditions. :detect:

If a club moves into a new stadium, and the stadium is branded, then that's the name it gets.  If a stadium has been around for over a century then the only people who use the new name are the likes of Jeff Stelling, and that's only because they have to.

• Like 2

Been away on holiday to Woolacombe with zero signal and wifi 90% of the time. What a time to choose. 

Fantastic news on the takeover and we can all start to look forward and dream again. Xia certainly seems to have ambition and clout. It seems perfectly timed for us with the way China are having a huge push on football now. We need to get the big decisions right and build and progress. Something Xia seems to have planned. 

I'm excited. I wonder how our Championship counterparts feel about all this. 

renaming a great cathedral of English football after a brand is never okay, it devalues the stadium and the history of it. I feared this and I doubt any of the other buyers would have been different, we've as a nation of football fans really let ourselves down if we believe trading off bits of our cultural identity for a bit of cash is fine. Villa Park is not some soulless bowl the council own it's a proper football stadium and focal point generations of fans have treasured and enjoyed. I shudder to think of it being called Lotus Villa park, why can't you buy the naming rights for x amount of cash and call it Villa park, if I had billions I would, 1bn to call it Villa Park for 10 years.

This is the step on the ladder to daytrippers, £500 tickets, Prawn sandwiches, feeder clubs and generally everything I've grown to despise in the modern game. If you speak to real Chelsea fans the club they had is no more, we'll be like Arsenal fans soon enough filming cup wins on ipads in the ground. I can't help but think some our soul will die as a result and I question the desperation of some who're seemingly willing to accept it. 

• Like 3