The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, he can sack the manager if we're not in the top six? If that's a true quote, he's an idiot and we're heading for embarrassment. 

Don't really see your issue with this one. If Xai does spend £50m this summer and we finish 10th, I think he has every right to sack the manager for underperforming, and that manager shouldn't be rewarded with compensation for failing.

With the amount of money we have pissed away with compensation over the past 7 years this surely has to be a good thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I assume that Dr. Xia meant that if we finish the season below 6th then he'll look at firing the manager, and not that he'll fire the manager during the season if at any time we drop below 6th.

I hope that's what he meant.

I checked my original translation and I think my translation is correct. He clearly said, ''anytime during the season....sack the manager anytime... is a clause in the contract...''

But I think it is not necessary a bad thing - the new owner just wanted to express his ambition and this is a part of it.

Surely no one will believe he will sack the manager ANYTIME he wants - he is not stupid...

Edited by Deisler123

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I admit it, I'm a fossil. I remember back in the 80s, seeing contintal teams with sponsor logos on their shirts. Naïvely, I confidently asserted that It Couldn't Happen Here. No English club's fans would ever tolerate such a crass outrage as an advert on the sacred shirt. Of course, I was a fool, and utterly wrong. That was merely the thin end of the wedge. It turns out that English fans will tolerate pretty much ANYTHING. 

Sheep. 

I grew up in the late 80's watching football so caught the end of the era when football wasn't fashionable to the media, where clubs were owned by local businessmen, people stood on terraces and players were predominantly British and wouldn't dream of diving, cheating or feigning injury. Did I prefer that era? I think I probably did. Playing on the school playing fields pretending to be Alan McInally or David Platt (was never quick enough for Tony Daley!) I was never happier.

However the football we all knew and loved started dying in the 90's when Sky and the Premier League were formed. Things change and not always for the better. The days we loved are gone and now you have to adapt or die. On that note i'd rather see is adapt than wither away into nothing so I welcome our new owner and the plans he has.

What I think we are forgetting is a lot of fans nowadays have no memory of the 'good old days' and what we see in front of us now has always been the norm for them. Footballers earning hundreds of thousands a week and living in castles. A long way away from Derek Mountfield shopping at my local Asda in his Colliers sponsored Rover 200 that Villa provided with with when he played for us and heading back to his 3 bed semi in Walmley! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I grew up in the late 80's watching football so caught the end of the era when football wasn't fashionable to the media, where clubs were owned by local businessmen, people stood on terraces and players were predominantly British and wouldn't dream of diving, cheating or feigning injury. Did I prefer that era? I think I probably did. Playing on the school playing fields pretending to be Alan McInally or David Platt (was never quick enough for Tony Daley!) I was never happier.

However the football we all knew and loved started dying in the 90's when Sky and the Premier League were formed. Things change and not always for the better. The days we loved are gone and now you have to adapt or die. On that note i'd rather see is adapt than wither away into nothing so I welcome our new owner and the plans he has.

What I think we are forgetting is a lot of fans nowadays have no memory of the 'good old days' and what we see in front of us now has always been the norm for them. Footballers earning hundreds of thousands a week and living in castles. A long way away from Derek Mountfield shopping at my local Asda in his Colliers sponsored Rover 200 that Villa provided with with when he played for us and heading back to his 3 bed semi in Walmley! 

Christ he's only just come up in discussion on the Cork City Fans Forum. Dear me, he was dreadful.

dm.JPG

10 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I guess it comes down to footballing ethos, me i'm a footballing communist I'd have wage caps across the board, £10 tickets, standing areas, local player quotas, shirts made locally at affordable prices, Saturday 3pm Kick offs, Subsidized away travel, free tickets and coaching for local schools, football could be so much more. Instead it's a dick measuring exercise for the filthy rich and some fans poor scorn on any who have a fault with that, I pity those fans they'll never know how good it could be and they get what they deserve, an  inferior game.

Non league football mate. I've been to about 10 games this year at levels below the conference and its great. While a non league team will never replace Villa in my heart it does provide me with some enjoyment!

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Unfortunately, as is VT's nature, I think some people have clearly made their minds up about this takeover before anyone's been given a chance.

Almost like VT do with managers.

Or players.

Or basically anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I live in Yorkshire (born and bred Brummie from Handsworth and Kingstanding) been supporting Villa almost all my life (I'm 40 now). 

My son is 5 and has just started football sessions in his villa kit alongside other kids in Barcelona, Real Madrid, man city etc kits. My concern was as he gets older how am I going to be able to get him to support my beloved team and hopefully his kids after him in the current state we are in? 

This takeover could change so much for us and the future of Aston Villa (without getting carried away of course) in that it makes us relevant and exciting again. Yes there may be changes (Lotus etc) and people won't like it but in life you have to adapt and change or you will be stuck in a rut as we have been. 

If we are at least competing again and not getting spanked by Arsenal 4-0 every season hopefully my son and many like him in Birmingham and beyond will be supporting Villa instead of Man city etc. 

Players, managers and owners come and go and things change but villa fans will always be VTID. 

Well done for getting your kid on the Villa train. He'll learn some tough life lessons supporting us!

On that matter I don't get how any kid could support a team different to their Dad. I support Villa as my Dad supported them and his Dad supported them. It simply wasn't an option for me to support anyone else!

• Like 2

Yeah although I did love the mid 90's cross over period when the fancy foreigners started coming over but were still a bit of a novelty.

Footballers still had a bit of personality then too, they're nearly all mindless, humourless robots now.

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think mooney's made his mind up this takeover won't be a good thing, which is fair enough.  

No, I haven't. I am however, deeply suspicious and concerned about it. I'm certainly not jumping on the giggly schoolgirl euphoria bandwagon that most on here seem to be.

So, he can sack the manager if we're not in the top six? If that's a true quote, he's an idiot and we're heading for embarrassment. 

That's very harsh, in my opinion.

At worst it's naive of him to inform the world of that clause, but embarrassing or idiotic it isn't. As others have said, if his aim is to get us promoted, or get into European places once promoted, then the manager will know that that is the aim, and will presumably be given funds that are appropriate to achieve that.

This clause is surely a way of protecting us from another Sherwood situation. Having a manager agree to player purchases, and then spend 20 games accumulating less than 10 points. Had Sherwood had this contract clause, he would likely have been sacked in November, with little compensation, and a different manager may have subsequently kept us in the league.

I think it's far from embarrassing. Admittedly, it's a bit 'cut-throat' if you read it as black and white, but in my opinion it's almost idiotic to assume that the manager will get sacked as soon as we drop below 6th place for one weekend.

Surely a clever and successful businessman will know that there are certain circumstances (injuries/ fixture pile up/ players getting banned for games through red cards) that will effect a managers performance, and he won't activate the clause unless necessary.

No, I haven't. I am however, deeply suspicious and concerned about it. I'm certainly not jumping on the giggly schoolgirl euphoria bandwagon that most on here seem to be.

Just remind yourself that at least it isn't another year of Lerner.

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

After years of piss arsing about culminating in the Sherwood farce I'm happy for a bit of cut throat action.

Wonder what Tony's facials are like...

• Like 1