The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

I've been in and out of the forum last few weeks so may have missed this but are the jobs that were going to be lost now safe? Also will a section of DE stand still be closed next season?

1 minute ago, Folski said:

I've been in and out of the forum last few weeks so may have missed this but are the jobs that were going to be lost now safe? Also will a section of DE stand still be closed next season?

I think they've been lost. It makes sense. We were incredibly overstaffed anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Folski said:

Its upper trinity that is closed!

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Me too. Although in MLS and A League - he could probably create his own club. Sydney Villa. or Perth Villa (since we have a good affiliation with that academy (herd, lowry, lyden etc)). In MLS.. he can create a club in Texas. Austin Villa. ;)

We will invite him to the Austin Texas, Villa supporters group.  And I'll commit to buying 4 season tickets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Folski said:

Also will a section of DE stand still be closed next season?

The upper trinity will not be closed next season. The club are not selling season tickets there so that they can close it for games where there isn't enough demand.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2016 at 19:54, Deisler123 said:

The best now: Zhang Linpeng (RB) 27 yo (A football-look-a-like Sergio Ramos), Wu Lei (AMC/shadow) 24yo (like Argentinos Aimar), although too expensive. I personally think they can do well in Championship, and maybe a sub player for PL.

Realistically: the guy my profile pic is showing - Zhang Yuning 19yo, playing for Vitesse Arnhem first team now. He is believed to be the best Chinese player in the next 5 years. And I think he is capable of playing in PL (in 1-2 years time).

Or Lin Liangming 19yo, playing for Real Madrid U19 now. A good investment I think.

In the last 3-4 years most clubs have resumed youth training system and they send hundreds of kids to Spain and Portugal to play youth games. Will have some good players in 2-3 years time and if Villa can take advantage of that, financial gain will be huge. 

What happened to that joker Man United picked up a few years back, Dong? Did he pop up back in China?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What happened to that joker Man United picked up a few years back, Dong? Did he pop up back in China?

Surprised that you still remember him.

We used to call him : 'world class below neck, shit above that'. His physical power is terrific. His laziness is unbelievable. A typical (bad) example of Chinese football player: uneducated, zero professionalism, lazy, no teamworking, low EQ, low IQ, crazy about night life.

He never played in top division after Man U. Never. He now plays in amateur football. What a shame.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

The upper trinity will not be closed next season. The club are not selling season tickets there so that they can close it for games where there isn't enough demand.

A sensible move at the time and probably still is to be fair.  If all those fans who blamed Lerner for not going actually go now we can house them all up there. i can see it being open a gait bit now though. 

1 hour ago, Deisler123 said:

Surprised that you still remember him.

We used to call him : 'world class below neck, shit above that'. His physical power is terrific. His laziness is unbelievable. A typical (bad) example of Chinese football player: uneducated, zero professionalism, lazy, no teamworking, low EQ, low IQ, crazy about night life.

He never played in top division after Man U. Never. He now plays in amateur football. What a shame.

Sounds suspiciously familiar.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KSV said:

Me too. Although in MLS and A League - he could probably create his own club. Sydney Villa. or Perth Villa (since we have a good affiliation with that academy (herd, lowry, lyden etc)). In MLS.. he can create a club in Texas. Austin Villa. ;)

Oh man I would support the shit out of an Australian Villa affiliate, wherever they were based! My nominal Adelaide United support would be gone so fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Oh man I would support the shit out of an Australian Villa affiliate, wherever they were based! My nominal Adelaide United support would be gone so fast.

Me too actually lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, limpid said:

So effectively it is closed.

Newcastle Jets were just bought by the owner of a Chinese company, Ledman Group so A-League is definitely on the radar in China.

Purchase price was $AUD 4.1 million (about 2.2 million quid), which would be chump change for Xia you would think.

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 1

Can you guys in foreign lands answer me this question.  Do all the people that follow the teams over there have an English team too? Or is the support split with Spain, Italy and so on?

if so if European clubs had affiliates in your country would you automatically gravitate to them as opposed to your local team?

Just trying to see if there is a definite fanbase in place already for Doc X's idea.

I would take a keen interest in Villa teams abroad for sure would be great viewing!

Don't have an affinity with an A league or MLS team at the moment. Had a soft sport for Chivas when Angel was there but that's it!

21 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Can you guys in foreign lands answer me this question.  Do all the people that follow the teams over there have an English team too? Or is the support split with Spain, Italy and so on?

if so if European clubs had affiliates in your country would you automatically gravitate to them as opposed to your local team?

Just trying to see if there is a definite fanbase in place already for Doc X's idea.

I would take a keen interest in Villa teams abroad for sure would be great viewing!

Don't have an affinity with an A league or MLS team at the moment. Had a soft sport for Chivas when Angel was there but that's it!

In China, almost everyone has at least 1 European club to support. How we picked the club to support is quite random - because of a super star, because of trophies etc. But among all reasons 'the link to China' is most important, because we do not have any feeling of 'belongings' to those clubs. So if any club has a link with us (in the form of player, owner, or even sponsorship etc), it is very likely that the fan base will grow crazy.

It is not only English football. Italian and German football are popular since 1980s, then Spainish since 1990s, then English football became popular since 2000s, because of TV rights being gradually introduced in China. Now the most supported clubs are: Real Madrid, Barca, Inter, AC milan, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Bayern, City etc.

Just to give you an example: when a Chinese player (Zhang Yuning) joined Vitesse Arnhem last year, I started to watch Dutch football and didn't miss a single match of theirs. TV rights were bought immediately in China after that and every match there were thousands of people watching Vitesse playing online.

It is like, if you are a basketball fan and you like NBA, you may like 1-2 teams because of Bryant or Jordan... But if a British player joined a team there (e.g. Luol Deng), you will probably support that team (Miami). Same thing.

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

In China, almost everyone has at least 1 European club to support. How we picked the club to support is quite random - because of a super star, because of trophies etc. But among all reasons 'the link to China' is most important, because we do not have any feeling of 'belongings' to those clubs. So if any club has a link with us (in the form of player, owner, or even sponsorship etc), it is very likely that the fan base will grow crazy.

Would having a Chinese owner do anything? You might have answered this before. This goes back to how much coverage there was in China of the takeover I guess.

The problem we'll have is getting  work permits for Chinese players. At the very least we'd need a bunch of Chinese sponsors.

It's definitely something we need to seriously consider if we're serious about tapping into the market. But I'd imagine an English team with a Chinese owner would be quite popular in China? Especially if he's quite outspoken as he has been recently?

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Can we get a Gulf team? Villa of Arabia?

To be honest having a team in most of the Arab countries is literally like shredding money. Clubs on this side actually mostly have clubs etc "for reputation". They actually pay people sometimes to go and watch matches.