The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep that's a key difference between Randy and Tony.  One is self-made and therefore capable.  The other, because he inherited, will always have question marks over his abilities if not his character.  On the basis that Dr. X has seemingly passed the F&P test we can now rest a little more easily that he is what he says, in which case he's one significant step closer to being that capable owner that we need.  And by capable I also mean the ability to acknowledge one's own shortcomings and hire the right help.  From what we've seen, he tends to succeed in what he does, so he must go about things in the right way.  Hopefully we're the next successful project :)

My sentiments entirely.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

There was a report in the press about cost cutting measures that had been employed at the club, reduction in stewards, staff made up of kids, etc.

One of the measures supposedly taken was that the corporate allocation no longer received their half time chocolate digestives.

Cue a lot of "this takes the biscuit" style remarks....

Thanks for clearing that up, That makes a lot more sense than the things that my brain were making up as a possible meaning.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

There was a report in the press about cost cutting measures that had been employed at the club, reduction in stewards, staff made up of kids, etc.

One of the measures supposedly taken was that the corporate allocation no longer received their half time chocolate digestives.

Cue a lot of "this takes the biscuit" style remarks....

.....crumbs!!!

• Like 1

Thats a thorough response from terrytini, better than I have the patience for when it comes to this discussion. I hope its enough to satisfy the debate(rs) and we get to enjoy the takeover chat in the takeover thread once more.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Yeah that came out wrong in tone.. Apologies.

there are some people getting very very holier than thou...

Not that apologetic or 'wrong in tone' if you'll then resort to characterizing people's opinions as 'holier than thou' which comes across in exactly the same way as the previous post.

The rest of your post, whilst making a sensible point about the difficulties in discussing ethics and morality, seems to make little sense in trying to exempt football from a discussion of ethics because of that difficulty. Why just football (or monopoly or golf)? You've not only argued, in that post, about the difficulty of applying ethics or morality to the arena of football, you've earlier in the threrad claimed that morals do not apply in football thus giving justification to the unethical behaviour that you are happy for the club to participate in:

17 hours ago, terrytini said:

I for one am 100% behind whatever we do, and however we do it, as long as it doesn't break the rules.  In fact, as long as the breaking of the rules is done in a carefully considered and risk assessed way, I'm not even too worried about that either.

By the way, where does your compartmentalization end? On the pitch? How a club deals with the footballing authorities? How a club deals with another club? What goes on in the stands? How a club treats its staff? How a club treats its fans? How a club is funded?

For those who may wonder how on topic this is, I think it's a very valid thing to discuss how far fans are willing for their club (and its new owner(s)) to go in order to try and achieve success.

Whether or not the new owners will do any of what fans may hope for we won't know until events unfold. If, however, fans are posting that they claim that football has no morals, that morals don't come in to it, that they're not even too worried about doing something wrong as long as we've properly evaluated that wrongdoing or that we should **** morals and they want 'bend ****' to get us to the top doing their thing with regard to the takeover that has happened then it surely is an appropriate thread in which to put any countering opinion that there are fans who would have a problem with that.

Edited by snowychap

Aston Villa is delighted to confirm the sale of the Club to Recon Group, owned by Dr Tony Xia.

The competition of 100 per cent ownership from Randy Lerner has been rubber-stamped by the Football League.

Dr Xia has been informed he passed the owners and directors test and following the competition of paperwork today is now the Club's new Owner and Chairman.

A new board will be appointed later this week.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5650044,00.html

• Like 1

There are actually 2 typos. Here's the one from the 2nd sentence.

Dr Xia has been informed he passed the owners and directors test and following the competition of paperwork today is now the Club's new Owner and Chairman.