The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

Just now, hippo said:

I was only kiddin ! 

In anycase someone else might buy us before the season starts.....Ive heard theres this rich aussie gezzeer.........zzzzzzzzzz

Oops.  Soz.  S'just we get that a lot :D  (... and the genuine requests are a bit of a bugbear of mine ...)

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

What has brought this on ?  

Not sure, I may have stirred it a little, if so I apologize.

Can I just suggest now that, as the character in Snowy's avatar might have said, these issues don't amount to a hill of beans to the vast majority on here. Perhaps the argument should be moved to another thread?

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

we play International football against teams whose governments have committed atrocities.  Some may well argue ours has.  Does it stop us ?  Does it mean we suffocate ourselves in debate about ethics, or do we watch the game and hope  we win ?   When you watch a Hollywood blockbuster do you question where all that money goes, do you question the drugs ?  When you buy anything from any multinational do you have these debates ?  No.  Why ?  Because if you are buying a coffee you just want to enjoy the coffee.  If you are buying a Chinese toy you just want your kids to enjoy it. 

I think you guys should take this debate to a separate thread. Before you do however, may I just say I think the philosophy behind this paragraph is just so wrong it is almost breathtaking. Of course consumers should care about these matters, and indeed they do and every once in a while rouse themselves to boycott products and services when the abuses that underlie them seem too outrageous.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's still possible to talk about the takeover after it has happened.  The thread will fall away as interest fades.  The desire to lock threads always fascinates me.

LOCK EVERY SINGLE THREAD RIGHT NOW!

Edited by meme

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's still possible to talk about the takeover after it has happened.  The thread will fall away as interest fades.  The desire to lock threads always fascinates me.

Pleeeassee lock it !!

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Apparently a bulldozer is approaching the North-stand as we speak !

But it heads past Villa Park and utterly demolishes the flooded Un-St. Andrews! Then an extra 20,000 seats pop out of nowhere on our stadium.

I've been having at the drugs too much, haven't I...

Just now, useless said:

Now we are going to be taking over clubs in China, US, Australia and India just to sell our really terrible players, steal some world-class youths and net us an extra £100m in merchandising each year

edited for realism

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Its a shame you don't appear to have the good grace to accept an apology when it is given.

You made an apology about tone and then posted in the same tone.

You don't want 'football to be exempt' from such debate -  yet it has been

It's not what I want or don't want. It's that it isn't exempt from it as much as anything else is and just because you want to claim that it is, doesn't make it so.

...   - mercifully  - free from just that debate until, when ?  Oh yes, right now. 

That's rubbish. People haven't just begun discussing ethical behaviour in football 'right now'. People on this messageboard have been discussing ethics, sportsmanship, cheating, breaking rules, bending rules, &c. on this site since as long as I've been on here.

Yet you saw no need for this previously. 

Yes I have done as have other people on here - whether that may be discussing diving or cheating or not tapping people up or complaining about other teams tapping people up or about other teams abusing rules and so on.

Are you saying that now, out of nowhere, you suddenly (because we have who we have - it cant be for any other reason) you want to examine morality and politics and its relationship to sport

Other than a post (or maybe two) saying that I would have a problem with the club being owned by the Chinese government, my comments have been in response to comments made by posters in this thread asserting their position about how far they are willing for the club to go in pursuit of success so yes it can be 'for any other reason'.

I have also made the same comments in response to similar comments by other posters in other threads and I'm not the only one.

When you buy anything from any multinational do you have these debates ?  No.

Stop **** speaking for other people, will you?

Yes, I do and so do other people.

If we tapped up a player that 10 other Clubs wanted and we got him, would you be fuming at our lack of ethics ?

I'd have the same problem with it that I have had with other clubs doing it (whether or not the player being tapped up has been a Villa player).

If tapping up is wrong then it's wrong whether we're the beneficiaries or whether we're the wronged party - anything else is a Lance Armstrong style of argument (or is that kind of thing outside the boundaries of ethics and morality, too?).

Edit: As far as our exchange goes, we've probably exhausted each other's patience as much as everyone else's so let's leave it there and acknowledge that we, thankfully, see the world in very diifferent ways.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Is it legal to turn a football club into a franchise and have multiple "Aston Villa Football Clubs'" in different countries? 

yes, you can buy/own more than 1 club in other countries, as long as they are not in europe/Uefa.

You could then rename those club to reflect Villa in the name if you really wanted,  

They would still be 'independent' clubs, just owned by the same owner.holding company.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Wait a sec, it ain't June 15th....

It ain't June 13th either. Shame. Would love to have a second birthday like the Queen. :( 

Aha - presser tomorrow, June 15th, Tony is a man of his word... 

Aston Villa will hold a dual purpose press conference at Villa Park tomorrow - to officially introduce their new owner and new manager.

It has been a summer of uncertainty for Villa, but Tony Xia and Roberto Di Matteo will face questions about their hopes and ambitions at 11am tomorrow (Wednesday).

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-xia-roberto-di-matteos-11473257?

• Like 3