Bernstein/King resign?

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why not?

If they've decided they need to revamp the scouting network and they want to bring somebody else in to do it, but Lerner has said they can't do that and Riley stays, can you not see how that might lead to them being unhappy?

I can't see Lerner causing this in order to keep Riley.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I can't see Lerner causing this in order to keep Riley.

Lerner is an irrational nut job. I could see him causing a resignation over a disagreement on which sweets to stock in the vending machines.

Nobody at the club eats Curly Wurlys but he does, so **** em.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Did you read what I wrote?

I didn't say he pushed them out the door.

I said Lerner not agreeing to sack Riley pushed them out the door because it meant the owner was undermining them.

Bernstein said the actions they wanted to take were not open to compromise. Sacking Almstadt, Fox but not Riley could be an example of a "compromise".

Sorry Dorris  - I miss read.

But my point still stands. Reilly for me wouldn't be a resignation factor.

• Like 1

Maybe Riley had retained a direct reporting line to Lerner (maybe Hollis too)? Bernstein/King advise; Lerner(/Hollis?) ask Riley for "advice on the advice". It's a classic corporate dysfunction, particularly a risk if an organisation is run by a rich incompetent playboy with no real experience of running a business (not that Villa is such an organisation of course).

2 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

But my point still stands. Reilly for me wouldn't be a resignation factor.

Maybe, I can certainly see a situation where he might be.
I don't think the size of the factor matters if it causes the owner to undermine the board when he's presumably promised he won't get involved

1 minute ago, villan_007 said:

If they had the clout to get rid of the CEO, why would a scout throw a spanner in the works?

Because Lerner agreed that Fox should go but not Riley?

5 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Lerner is an irrational nut job. I could see him causing a resignation over a disagreement on which sweets to stock in the vending machines.

Nobody at the club eats Curly Wurlys but he does, so **** em.

I bet he has an inferiority complex, he's clearly never going to be half the man his dad was and is squandering everything he built up.  He's what you call a massive loser, if you take aside the fact he inherited a **** load of money.

I was (cautiously) optimistic that with the new board in place we could at least stabilize in the Championship next season and then go from there.

It is now clear that we are truly **** as long as Lerner remains in charge. This club is dying.

Edited by Phumfeinz
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Riley's position is not important enough to cause the resignations.

I'd say head of recruitment - the one sorting out managerial appointments, choosing players with his marvellous track record over last summer, makes him very much important enough

This is AVFC.

We appointed Fox who previously was a Commercial Manager as CEO, Reilly my have the title of Chief Scout but who knows what his role is or how much authority he holds.

Who else could undermine Bernstein?

Why hasnt Reilly gone already with the other two cronies?

Hang on a bit.  People are suggesting it is to do with Riley or Reilly. Laughable truly laughable.

This lot sacked Tom Fox,  CEO and friend of Lerner.  Gone fired sacked and now people are trying to say he stopped them sacking a glorified chief scout? Yeah right.  

• Like 2

fwiw my guess would be the problem was a lack of response to key questions

Lerner won't have been so direct or competent as to have given a high budget, or a low budget, or an idea he would be gone on June 20th or anything else in any way useful. He will have been asked some basic questions, budget and timescale. There will have been no timely response.

Which is where the Board is then thoroughly undermined.