Bernstein/King resign?

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Sorry dont believe this at all.  Not picking on your post but it is just the latest one to proffer that opinion.

See the thing is both of these men are professional experienced individuals in their field who have seen takeover and mergers and acquisitions countless times.  They know the process and they know how it works.  If any sale was on the horizon or "advanced"  they would have known this 4 weeks ago when they joined.  If it was just starting now then similarly it wouldnt be an issue.  Either way they are professionals and would work to the schedule they would know that it could delay it if there is a takeover in the offing.  They would not be so precious to walk over it.  What it could be if not money is that they lined up a takeover and Lerner has turned down the offer

I'm inclined to agree, unless something was agreed with these two (and friends) which "Randy clearly not a Learner" has backed out of.

What I don't think has helped is the silly titles - the "football board" and all that guff - one of these people should have known they were in charge of the football club on a day to day basis and able to make decisions - that's the Chief Execs role - I suspect more than one person thought they were wearing that hat.

• Like 3

Back on topic. These two have resigned over issues regarding the football board. Essentially it would appear Randy has been interfering. I wonder if one of the issues is the closure of the upper tier of the Trinity Road stand. Getting large crowds into the ground on cheap tickets could change the atmosphere in the ground which is essential if the team is to improve its performance on the pitch. I wonder if that is what Adrian Bevington was referring to in his recent tweet. Incidentally how long will he hang around? Talking about improving the atmosphere, winning matches would work as well, scoring goals, running hard all those sorts of things that real teams do. The players may be toxic now but if they put in some consistently decent performances and got some good results people would soon forget it - things move on quickly in football.

Closing the upper tier seems to be a small minded commercial decision, missing the point of the club which is the performance of the team on the pitch. Long term there is a need to reconnect with current fans to get out of the current, all encompassing sense of malaise and also to build a base with a younger generation for the future. But if you are an owner desperate to sell do you really care about the long term? Particularly if you are an owner who has the opposite of the midas touch in every business you are involved in.

Another issue could be the failure to get a budget in place as needed to appoint a new manager - it really isn't that difficult to do. We didn't buy any players in January in preparation for the championship so why couldn't we have prepared a budget for the new manager we were clearly going to need.

On a personal note I feel pretty gutted - they were part of the one piece of hope I was clinging on to that the issues were being resolved. Their resignation makes it clear that it was just a sham and the club really is just a car crash. I think Hollis is making a decent enough fist of things but unless he finds a buyer he's just blowing in the wind.

Edited by mallett
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the issue was Riley.

The hints in King's letter pointed to that.

I think there are probably a lot of issues. I think they could have worked around or with Riley without it stopping the more radical things they wanted to do with the club. Ultimately Riley has a big voice but not a lot of decision making - his job is to bring a set of players to the table that fit the managers needs and the CEO's pocket and then advocate them - the Manager then gives it a thumbs up or thumbs down and the CEO does the negotiation. Now they may think he's crap at finding sets of players, but they could ignore him until such time as they were happy the club was moving in the right direction.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there are probably a lot of issues. I think they could have worked around or with Riley without it stopping the more radical things they wanted to do with the club. Ultimately Riley has a big voice but not a lot of decision making - his job is to bring a set of players to the table that fit the managers needs and the CEO's pocket and then advocate them - the Manager then gives it a thumbs up or thumbs down and the CEO does the negotiation. Now they may think he's crap at finding sets of players, but they could ignore him until such time as they were happy the club was moving in the right direction.

Yep I'd agree with that. I wouldn't imagine it was Riley alone that was the only issue. I just thought the letters pointed towards him being an issue.

Obviously the main issue was whatever communication they recently had with the owner.

4 minutes ago, mallett said:

I wonder if one of the issues is the closure of the upper tier of the Trinity Road stand.

I wouldn't have thought so, rumours have been going around about this since christmas with steward talking to season ticket holders up there. It's a simple commercial and footballing decision - if we're going to have 5,000 empty seat, then lets have them all in one place and further from the pitch, it'll look like the ground is fuller on the telly and it'll keep the atmosphere going. I wouldn't have thought that would be one for resignation.

I still can't get my head around how much damage Lerner has done here and how short-sighted he seems to have been. He has screwed us big time - why the hell didn't he just back the football board and get Moyes in?   All he had to do is back those who have the experience! and then sit back and wait for us to get back into the premier league. That was the best way for him to recoup money and we would all be looking forward to the rebuild.  Now it feels like we are dead and buried before before we kick a ball in the championship and he will lose a fortune.  Bloody hopeless.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yep I'd agree with that. I wouldn't imagine it was Riley alone that was the only issue. I just thought the letters pointed towards him being an issue.

Obviously the main issue was whatever communication they recently had with the owner.

Absolutely, I don't think there's necessarily a magic bullet here. When a CEO and the operating team for a business go to the Board with their plan for the business and the board rejects it out of hand, there are often resignations - CEO's don't like to fail. That's true in every business and I think ultimately that's what's happened here - it'd be really interesting to know what the business plan they proposed was though and why it was rejected.

every single problem at this club really does stem from lerner, and we cant even just say that because hes the chairman and everything ends with him etc, he clearly has no interest in the club so at least let the people that do get on with their jobs instead of interfering, the club is going to continue being less appealing to a potential buyer the more he interferes., hes a useless chairman and a useless businessman.

• Like 1

Has anyone considered that King & Bernstein were promised a % or points in the company or sale of it or thought that they could do some kind of deal, and that with Lerner dropping the price that was just not feasible or the opportunity evaporated ? Maybe they were planning a management buyout or they were told they would be given that opportunity and they couldn't get it too stack, firstly there businessmen and I refuse to beleive they were doing it for nothing.

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Plus there was quite a lot of briefing against him at the weekend, which got my antennae a-quivering.

I'm convinced he has a part in the story somewhere, although we are all agreed I think the main player has the initials RL.

If anyone thinks that their resignation is anything more to do than Lerner interfering and not wanting the manager they recommend then they need to get real. Lerner has a history of interfering. Remember Richard Fitzgerald's brief stint as CEO. Remember why MON left, all due to lerner interfering.

And we've had countless rumours of takeovers before only to realise it is just well timed PR bullshit.

It's purely Randy showing everyone it is still his toy box and he will play with it when he wants and not let anyone else play with it, spoilt tw*t he is.

1 minute ago, R1chuk said:

If anyone thinks that their resignation is anything more to do than Lerner interfering and not wanting the manager they recommend then they need to get real. Lerner has a history of interfering. Remember Richard Fitzgerald's brief stint as CEO. Remember why MON left, all due to lerner interfering.

And we've had countless rumours of takeovers before only to realise it is just well timed PR bullshit.

It's purely Randy showing everyone it is still his toy box and he will play with it when he wants and not let anyone else play with it, spoilt tw*t he is.

Has anyone suggested that anyone other than Lerner is the main problem?

12 minutes ago, R1chuk said:

Even today the reasons for that saga seem to be unclear.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I don't think has helped is the silly titles - the "football board" and all that guff - one of these people should have known they were in charge of the football club on a day to day basis and able to make decisions - that's the Chief Execs role - I suspect more than one person thought they were wearing that hat.

I suspect that if all of this made any sense it would be announced in a transparent and open declaration.

as it is the usual clandestine innuendo.....its safe to say its yet another comedy of errors.....to match the rest.

nothing has any signs of changing....why was we so taken in to think it would?

On the reasons for the resignations it could be that a takeover is in the offing but being professionals they realise the need to plan for the event that the takeover falls through. 

Most organisations have a recruitment freeze during takeover talks but a football club is different,  especially when we have the most key position in the entire club currently vacant. It could be that they wanted to proceed with player and manager recruitment in case the takeover falls through and we are left up the creek for the start of the season and Randy has said no,  nothing doing until the deal completes then it's somebody else's problem. 

That would also explain Kings comments about getting the club sold ASAP is the only way forward now and good luck with that. 

On the stand closure I am sure it will not be permanently closed all season and they will open it when demand allows such as derbies or if we are flying top of the table. But if they have only 50 or so season ticket holders up there they will have to incur all the costs of keeping it open,  turnstile operators,  stewards,  cleaners etc.