Bernstein/King resign?

Delphinho123

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

So he let them sack Tom Fox but he wont let them sack Reilly ? Garbage opinion utter garbage

Why is it garbage?

What if Lerner agreed that Fox should be sacked, but for some reason didn't agree Riley should be?

Do you think Lerner either wants EVERYONE sacked or NOBODY sacked, and nothing in between?

I assume when he brought in Hollis he understood sackings would be part of the process. I don't think it's unfeasible that he was happy with some people losing their job but not others.

On another note, it's also pretty rich to label other posts garbage when half of yours are pretending to be ITK. Is there anything more garbage than that shit?

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Given Bernstein in particular is far far better qualified to make and take football based decisions, and given Merv is a genuine lifelong villa fan and an expert in the world of finance and RL is a spoilt rich kid with a record of terrible decision making, it has to be a bad thing.

so true

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

With all due respect, I can see why a post on that theme would be deleted!

As for Swervin' Mervyn, I was a bit sceptical when he joined up - thought the whole "football board" thing was a slightly laughable PR stunt. But King was clearly committed to doing a serious job and his resignation letter has lifted the curtain on the frustrations of anyone trying to save Villa from its current spiral of decline. For that I praise him. I have framed his letter and placed it next to my pictures of Ron Saunders, Paul McGrath and Dwight Yorke.

My feelings run deeper that the future of a mere football club. I'm not disputing what he could have done for Villa, I just cannot forgive what he was complicit in - I'll leave it there.

I've read so many explanations over the past 30 pages, but to be honest I find none as persuasive as my own assumption that they realised every single person working for the club is a driveling idiot. There's not a single employee who doesn't think Brawndo's got what plants crave. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I doubt Riley really has that much power and if he does then I be petrified, he is living off his Benteke signing

I know it doesn't matter, but this really isn't what I meant. It has nothing to do with Riley's power or lack of it. It's to do with what Lerner wants, and he is the one who has the power.

If the football board were saying they needed a new scouting network, including a new head of recruitment, but Lerner decided he didn't agree with that, then it's nothing to do with Riley's power, it's to do with Randy's.

Anyway, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, it was just a thought. But "garbage" according to the site's bonafide ITK, and he knows best.

Edit: I'm also unsure why Riley's "power" is all of a sudden being downplayed by a lot of the people who seemed to be adamant he was completely responsible for all of our signings in the summer. That's pretty powerful.

Edited by Stevo985

So he let them sack Tom Fox but he wont let them sack Reilly ? Garbage opinion utter garbage

OK, Mr know-it-all, can you explain why Riley is still at the club when Fox and Almstadt were dismissed on the basis of an analysis of what went wrong over the summer recruitment. Was Riley not involved in that and what is his value to the club that makes it worth retaining his services?

(Apart from my theory that even the club don't know how to spell his name and sent the dismissal notice to the wrong guy, of course.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Bankrolling us in the chmpionship could be done through player sales alone, see hull last year.

I was thinking that  , Richards will have a resale value , possibly even Gabby  ,chuck in Adama , Gana , and against my wishes Ayew and that must be over £20m

mind you Jordan Rhodes cost £9m  !! 

but Clark and Baker are good enough for that league  as is Steer, Westwood , Vertout , Grealish and even Gestede , Amavi , dare I say it even Hutton    , so it's not like we have to buy 20 players  ... whether they are good enough to finish in the top 2 of that league is another matter

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK, Mr know-it-all, can you explain why Riley is still at the club when Fox and Almstadt were dismissed on the basis of an analysis of what went wrong over the summer recruitment. Was Riley not involved in that and what is his value to the club that makes it worth retaining his services?

(Apart from my theory that even the club don't know how to spell his name and sent the dismissal notice to the wrong guy, of course.)

Maybe Black wants him to remain to help advise on the players?  Maybe any new manager wants him to stay and help with the scouting set up? maybe his role is not that important or valuable? Maybe they are negotiating his removal,  Remi's took a while too you know. Maybe he wasn't actually to blame and Almstadt and Fox were?  

Whatever the reason Paddy reilly is not so important in the grand scheme of things for Lerner to stick his nose out,  have two high profile and highly embarrassing resignations of a board put together 4 weeks ago to over see the long term improvement of the club which could potentially lead to him getting some decent money back on his investment.  For those resignations to be pointed at him and heap even more bad PR on the club and potentially scare off any investor there may be waiting.  Not a chance

He let them sack a more influential and important man in the Chief Executive FFS.  and he wont let them sack a glorified chief scout? yeah right.

If it walks like a duck ,  quacks like a duck,  waddles like a duck and swims like a duck its a duck

These two quite because lerner would not move on their recommendations which a big part of was budget for new manager.  Any new manager worth his salt needs that money,  they wanted a manager worth his salt (in their expert opinion) Lerner did not supply the resources,  they walked.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've read so many explanations over the past 30 pages, but to be honest I find none as persuasive as my own assumption that they realised every single person working for the club is a driveling idiot. There's not a single employee who doesn't think Brawndo's got what plants crave. 

Hanlon's Razor in living colour

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maybe Black wants him to remain to help advise on the players?  Maybe any new manager wants him to stay and help with the scouting set up? maybe his role is not that important or valuable? Maybe they are negotiating his removal,  Remi's took a while too you know. Maybe he wasn't actually to blame and Almstadt and Fox were?  

Whatever the reason Paddy reilly is not so important in the grand scheme of things for Lerner to stick his nose out,  have two high profile and highly embarrassing resignations of a board put together 4 weeks ago to over see the long term improvement of the club which could potentially lead to him getting some decent money back on his investment.  For those resignations to be pointed at him and heap even more bad PR on the club and potentially scare off any investor there may be waiting.  Not a chance

He let them sack a more influential and important man in the Chief Executive FFS.  and he wont let them sack a glorified chief scout? yeah right.

If it walks like a duck ,  quacks like a duck,  waddles like a duck and swims like a duck its a duck

These two quite because lerner would not move on their recommendations which a big part of was budget for new manager.  Any new manager worth his salt needs that money,  they wanted a manager worth his salt (in their expert opinion) Lerner did not supply the resources,  they walked.

Garbage opinion utter garbage

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS60up_pSbsOjcXUnW929Q

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DK82 said:

We need to stop arguing between ourselves and focus on the real problem. Lerner.

He loves the infighting.

Nah.

While he may be that kind of character, he's simply too distant to get any joy out of that.

I've thought about it all night and here are my current ideas:

Bernstein and King wanted to appoint someone before the end of the season. Get the jump on other clubs who haven't yet been relegated/removed their manager. They needed financial assurances from Lerner who wouldn't give them. The club is in sales negotiations and Lerner wanted to hold out until those come to fruition so he doesn't make false promises. He also doesn't want to promise a new manager a 'war chest' and then the sale falling through.

With both parties at loggerheads, Bernstein and King felt their positions were unachievable. They can't bring in a manager with no word on what funds he would have. It would explain why both King's resignation letter and the OS mentions talks to sell the club. I think they are an active thing which King believes is holding up the running of the club, including appointing a new manager, and thinks they should happen as soon as possible.

This is of course all my thoughts and may or may not be an accurate representation of the truth.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, DK82 said:

We need to stop arguing between ourselves and focus on the real problem. Lerner.

He loves the infighting.

Never going to happen.  Old wars run deep it seems