Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

On 20/05/2020 at 16:13, John said:

Villa Park with an attendance of just 161 (press & officials only) vs Besiktas 3-1 European Cup 1982 (the look of games to come?): 

image.jpeg.8a1d523be5095264bb1b2b3ef9e7d9dc.jpeg image.jpeg.7fdb8c8453306c5110966c34b93f2348.jpeg 

The contrast to the second leg. My old man played in the second leg and although he said he wasn't at the first leg, the atmosphere was extremely sharp and raucous (as you would expect in turkey). Must've been a strange situation to have played in both legs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

The contrast to the second leg. My old man played in the second leg and although he said he wasn't at the first leg, the atmosphere was extremely sharp and raucous (as you would expect in turkey). Must've been a strange situation to have played in both legs. 

I think that was the one to be playing in. Did he also play at the Camp Nou, four months later? 

1 hour ago, John said:

I think that was the one to be playing in. Did he also play at the Camp Nou, four months later? 

Yes, he did. But, again, missed the home game.

• Like 1

Bit late to the party here! 

I take it your old man was Mark Jones?  If so, pass on my regards ..........watched him many times playing for the Bulls at Edgar Street at the end of the 80's / early 90's when I lived there as well as a couple of early career games at Villa. Did he play the Man United Cup game at Edgar Street?.........some atmosphere that day.

Just as he joined another future Aston Villa player left Edgar Street.....Chris Price. (via Blackburn)

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

I was there when Mark made his debut against Coventry (a 2-1 win) mjvilla. We didn't have too many new faces in the first team back then (we had rather a good starting XI :)), I recall that my mates and I had wondered how "your old man" might get on in a local derby, when his name was announced before the game. We didn't need to worry, he gave a very solid display. You can be and I'm sure are very proud, that "your old man" played for us when we were reigning champions of Europe. He kept some great company, as the photographs below show with Ian Rush left in his wake, and standing next to Sid and Gary:

image.jpeg.4e9ebbe6310bb4d8ad7d382db0a20653.jpeg  Where Are They Now? Villa's 1982 European Cup winners

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 12:54, newhavenhibby said:

From previous post......... Chris Price at Villa.............17491-zoom.jpg.bc814cc2a54b3b9738d566777960b04d.jpg

Great player.  So dependable. Massively underrated. 

On 27/04/2020 at 21:05, sidcow said:

In a big packed match it was like a living breathing thing, constantly swaying.

If a goal was scored it was absolute pandemonium and you could end up miles away from where you started, proper shoulder to shoulder stuff. 

There were always urban legends about people pissing in your pocket but obviously just rubbish. 

Sadly my time there from 1983 till demolition was mostly punctuated by poor attendances.  Football was nowhere near as popular as it is now and the crowds weren't there.  Plus Villa were poor for large parts of the mid 80's to mid 90's.

The barrel bottom was finally hit on 1st February 1986 when I stood on that terrace in freezing conditions for a top flight game against Southampton to witness a dreary nil, nil draw.  Think on this, it was a first division game and the attendance was 8,456.  It's staggering to think now. 

However there were some amazing moments, great European nights, Tranmere Semi final.   As someone said elsewhere here the noise and atmosphere from a packed Holte Terrace was like nothing you can witness now. 

The exact day I was born. Must've been a terrible day all round.

Not a surprise, my son was born the day we led 2-0 at Leicester and eventually lost 3-2. The turning point for both sides it seems. I think my family need to stop having children.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

The exact day I was born. Must've been a terrible day all round.

Not a surprise, my son was born the day we led 2-0 at Leicester and eventually lost 3-2. The turning point for both sides it seems. I think my family need to stop having children.

Did you call him Tim ;) :P 

• Haha 1

My first year of going down Villa Park.

Some great favourites there, especially Rioch,  Chico,  Lockhead, CharlieAitkin and Ray Graydon. 

Looking again, I forgot that Geoff Vowden had come to Villa......always associate him with SHA ......for some reason.😉

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

Aye........out in Australia about 10 years ago, nearly drowned when caught by a sudden tide change and then contracted pneumonia due to all the inhaled sea water. OK now I believe.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Â