Favourite Villa Pics

dont_do_it_doug.

He retired in 1980 because of his knee  but was youth team coach for about 4 years, so still around the club..........certainly looks like him

One of my favourite players from the 70's.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

On 06/05/2020 at 10:32, newhavenhibby said:

He retired in 1980 because of his knee  but was youth team coach for about 4 years, so still around the club..........certainly looks like him

One of my favourite players from the 70's.

And he ran the club shop for a  bit. Youth player, player, coach, retail operator, manager, and now on the board. The one and only Sir Brian. From sweeping the Holte End to advising the owners, with a stellar playing and management career in the middle.  Villa to the core.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

And he ran the club shop for a  bit. Youth player, player, coach, retail operator, manager, and now on the board. The one and only Sir Brian. From sweeping the Holte End to advising the owners, with a stellar playing and management career in the middle.  Villa to the core.

last person to win a trophy for Villa as well. I think the highest finish in Premier League except Big Ron

3 hours ago, John said:

Four friendlies:

image.jpeg.d2ddfcf825aec277ff095c250419320a.jpeg image.jpeg.71e1243523100ecf672458cafba62c66.jpeg image.jpeg.c435790704cf1988e8fe5db59767466d.jpeg image.jpeg.b7be547208ad03264f080838ec015c94.jpeg

Remember the Santos game.......I think over 50 odd thousand inside Villa Park for a friendly!

I think Villa had to hire a generator for the floodlights as it was in the midst of energy cuts and blackouts. 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 10:56, Paddywhack said:

I'm in two minds looking at the photo. I'd love to have been there, it looks incredible and I bet the atmosphere was amazing. I'm sad that I never experienced it.

On the other hand, it looks so uncomfortable and (sorry to sound like a nerdy square) a bit dangerous! How did you possibly move to get your half time pie or got to the gents? Were you all tinkling on each other?

Oh when the holte was packed it certainly had it's moments. One in particular for me.....we were playing Barcelona in late 70s or might've been just in to the 80s...floodlit game, Johann Cruyff ran the show for Barça despite having his ankle heavily bandaged. We managed to claw our way back to 2-2 at the end. Anyway, I'm on the holte, ¾ of the way up, totally rammed. I mean, you hardly had room to lift your arms over your head to clap etc. The crowd moved as one and i ended up 50 yards away from my mates when we scored. 

Halfway through the second half and we're "sardined" together until a big hairy geezer loudly declared that he needed a piss. As if by magic an all round gap appeared of about 5 metres and he duly delivered ! Once the steam had stopped rising, it was felt safe enough to close that gap back up !

And then some joker started the knees up mother brown song and you knew it was gonna be a total mosh pit for the next few toe treading, rib aching minutes !

• Like 4

I, for once,  was at the Witton End / North Stand end for the game, as I had gone with my Dad and didn't want to take him into the melee......from what you say it was a good decision.  It was the 77 / 78 Europa game.

At least the guy gave some warning ........its when you get that warm feeling on the back of your legs .......the joys of the terraces....😀

Having said that I miss them.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/05/2020 at 14:56, mottaloo said:

And then some joker started the knees up mother brown song and you knew it was gonna be a total mosh pit for the next few toe treading, rib aching minutes !

When I very first started going at about 14 we used to pretty much stand on the toes of the coppers right at the very back to ensure we were at the back of any knees up mother brown and not getting the shit kicked out of us in the middle of it all. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/03/2020 at 12:01, S-Platt said:

This was the team that played in the Nou Camp against Cruyff and co!

unnamed (2).jpg

What a great away kit, that was. I used to love watching us then,the first team I  saw with a disciplined swagger. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What a great away kit, that was. I used to love watching us then,the first team I  saw with a disciplined swagger. 

Brilliant shirt that's why I bought it when it was re-released last year by Umbro.  Home version too.  Get loads of comments when wearing all complimentary!

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Delaney postitioning is a little off in that photo ;) 

Don't blame Mark, I think that he was just minding the gap for David Ginola (in the previous photo) whilst he tried to find some bubbly to spray around. Clearly he couldn't find any, it seems the club didn't think this cup was "worth it"...:)

image.jpeg.6857d6550d3e968e7db3bdeb27207237.jpeg

Brian flying high in that "extended" League Cup of 1977. This shot is taken at the second replay at Old Trafford where Villa eventually won 3 . 2.

Remember at the first replay in Sheffield parking in the wrong area and when asking where Hillsborough was, the guy burst out laughing ( we'd already walked about a mile by then!)..........fortunately a local stopped a couple of minutes later and gave us a ride in his skoda all the way to the ground.🙂 Finding our car afterwards was fun.😀

1977-League-Cup-Final-Second-Replay-at-Old-TraffordAston-Villa-3-v-Everton-2-aet-Brian-Little-in-action-during-the-match.jpg

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 4

Villa Park with an attendance of just 161 (press & officials only) vs Besiktas 3-1 European Cup 1982 (the look of games to come?): 

image.jpeg.8a1d523be5095264bb1b2b3ef9e7d9dc.jpeg image.jpeg.7fdb8c8453306c5110966c34b93f2348.jpeg 

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Â