Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Bielsa would be such a fantastic appointment (sadly unrealistic atm imo) 

He has a very clear idea of how his team should play, is extremely methodical and pays almost ridiculous attention to details.

Every player would know exactly what they where supposed to do all the time. And if they didn't do what they where supposed to do he'd make Pearson, Magath or Capello seem like purring kittens.

I'm all for getting El Loco to Villa Park!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I do have to agree that maybe Pearson would seem an odd choice now. We seem to have a determined and progressive owner in place and don't think Pearson, or Moyes to that matter, fits that mould.

Rodgers does, so does RDM. 

I know a lot of people want Moyes, but I don't think he is adaptable enough. Struggled away from Everton. Not convinced he would be our best choice. 

What! The team Pearson built- yes Pearson were very easy on the eye, even when they were struggling last season, and for me he takes huge credit for their success this year, agree with you on Moyes though.

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Bielsa would be such a fantastic appointment (sadly unrealistic atm imo) 

He has a very clear idea of how his team should play, is extremely methodical and pays almost ridiculous attention to details.

Every player would know exactly what they where supposed to do all the time. And if they didn't do what they where supposed to do he'd make Pearson, Magath or Capello seem like purring kittens.

I'm all for getting El Loco to Villa Park!

I'd love Bielsa, but like you say unrealistic. However his protege Sampioli could be obtainable. Didn't he leave the Chile job?

Maybe unrealistic but hey I'm excited about football again. 

• Like 3

Managers will be queuing up for this job now, as good a gig as anyone will get other than the top half of the prem. Huge transfer kitty, ambitious owner, and obviously a huge club with terrific facilities - Pearson and RDM I just don't think so.  

The importance of who we hire as our next manager pales in comparison to the importance of putting the right structures in place for the club to succeed. We don't need to reinvent the wheel just copy Southampton, Swansea, Watford or Leicester etc.

The manager appointment will be huge barometer of how this club is now prepared to trade.

All managers want money to build squads.....The better ones demand funds and it is usually a prerequisite of their signing.

It will be interesting in terms of the clubs intent....as to who the new manager will be in terms of their standing.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Excuse me please-  he signed Vardy for peanuts,  what on earth has he done to suggest he can't spend money wisely ? 

It's not about spending money wisely, it's about his abilities. He got Leicester promoted and they had a good end to season, but they languished in 20th place for most of the season. I don't want a manager who can just get us promoted, I want someone who can hack in the premier league too.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Excuse me please-  he signed Vardy for peanuts,  what on earth has he done to suggest he can't spend money wisely ? 

Where on earth in my statement do i suggest that he can't spend money wisely?

The point i was making was that with that kind of transfer budget we can attract someone better than Pearson such as Moyes because they would be attracted by having a lot of money to spend

I think Pearson is dead in the water anyway now i think he was very much Hollis/Lerner's choice had the takeover fell through 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'd love Bielsa, but like you say unrealistic. However his protege Sampioli could be obtainable. Didn't he leave the Chile job?

Maybe unrealistic but hey I'm excited about football again. 

Sampoli is actually being linked with the Espanyol job, team who just stayed up in La Liga and don't really have any great prospects. You never know but dosen't look like european heavyweights are queuing up to appoint him.

4 hours ago, meme said:

Pearson would be a disaster. Par-average manager at all clubs he's managed, even at Leicester.

We need a manager who has experience with club overhauls and a large transfer kitty at his helm; an all-rounder who has put teams to success before.

In other words, someone like Di Matteo. 

Pearson got Leicester promoted 2 divisions and kept them up. What was his par?

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

What! The team Pearson built- yes Pearson were very easy on the eye, even when they were struggling last season, and for me he takes huge credit for their success this year, agree with you on Moyes though.

Not my point. He would have been my choice if under Randy but not sure if it's a good fit now. 

Pearson isn't a modern coach, he is more traditional British. Wing play, fast direct play etc. Not arguing whether or not that is exciting or attractive. 

I feel that the Dr may be a more progressive person and may want the club to have a progressive attitude. So RDM and Rodgers are more modern coaches and may be more appealing to him and his vision for Aston Villa. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

It's not about spending money wisely, it's about his abilities. He got Leicester promoted and they had a good end to season, but they languished in 20th place for most of the season. I don't want a manager who can just get us promoted, I want someone who can hack in the premier league too.

so if a team over performs in first half of season and does shit in second half its ok (ill be amazed if you said no to the watford manager). But if a team over performs in second half of season its not ok because he did shit in first half and "they languished in 20th place for most of the season"?

how do you know he cant hack it in prem finishing 14th in a newly promoted side?

Seriously think theres a lot of people on this forum expecting WAY to much from a manager. Constantly seeing "X manager has managed quite a few clubs but he did shit at this one prem team so  i dont want them" kind of logic...Like c'mon...Nearly every single candidate will be the same given theres a reason why theyre potentially managing a championship club and not a top team in prem. Unless you want somebody who hasnt managed much which is just as much of a risk

Edited by gharperr

4 minutes ago, gharperr said:

so if a team over performs in first half of season and does shit in second half its ok (ill be amazed if you said no to the watford manager). But if a team over performs in second half of season its not ok because he did shit in first half and "they languished in 20th place for most of the season"?

how do you know he cant hack it in prem finishing 14th in a newly promoted side?

Seriously think theres a lot of people on this forum expecting WAY to much from a manager. Constantly seeing "X manager has managed quite a few clubs but he did shit at this one prem team so  i dont want them" kind of logic...Like c'mon...Nearly every single candidate will be the same given theres a reason why theyre potentially managing a championship club. Unless you want somebody who has managed much which is just as much of a risk

Would I say no to Flores? No. Would I be overawed? No, he's a decent manager. Pearson however, did shit with Leicester in the prem bar a run of what, 7 games at the end of the season? Big whoop, Wigan did that every year for 6 years, lots of teams can switch it on when relegation looms. Pearson did not have them playing good football in my opinion. Also I don't want a lunatic managing my club. Someone who grabs players by the throat, tells fans to "f**k off and die", and was constantly outspoken in the media. What few positives the man may have do not outweigh the negatives.

2 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

. Pearson however, did shit with Leicester in the prem bar a run of what, 7 games at the end of the season? 

so again....7 games at start of season is ok...but 7 winning games at end isnt? what thee.....Variance variance variance variance....

Fwiw there was *plenty* of games in first half of season where they deserved points

Edited by gharperr

5 minutes ago, gharperr said:

so again....7 games at start of season is ok...but 7 winning games at end isnt? what thee.....Variance variance variance variance....

Fwiw there was *plenty* of games in first half of season where they deserved points

Neither is any good really. But as I said, many teams can switch it on in the last few games. Would I be happy winning 7 at the beginning of the season and then falling apart? Of course not. I personally think Pearson deserves very little credit for what Leicester have achieved this season. This 'deserved points' argument that gets thrown around makes me laugh too. "We should have won that game". But you didn't. Points are the only thing that matters, nobody would choose good football and finishing lower down over winning every game in a shitty 1-0. Maybe they did deserve points, but they didn't get them, and that is the only thing the history books will remember and that is the difference between winning and losing and keeping your job as the manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gharperr said:

This is now a pointless argument, the people who simply don't like Pearson will come up with even the most ludicrous of claims to fit whatever narrative they have. EG. Di Matteo wins Champions League with Chelsea "wasnt his team". Mourinho has shocking results for half season gets sacked "he has been treated unfairly", the players need to answer. All info can be skewed to fit any view. This has been done to death. 

As you have said, the Leicester team under Pearson were grossly unlucky over the course of that season, and they were putting in performances, as well as the fantastic run of momentum. BOTH Pearson and Ranieri, whom I both like, deserve credit.