Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

In the context that we're talking in, yes he is well thought of. He's many people's favourite for the job.

That might be what you think of, but I bet if Leicester had had a mediocre season this season a lot of people wouldn't have Pearson so highly favoured for our job. Which like I said is quite bizarre.

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider Leicester this season as a reflection on Pearson, in the same way I think Mourinho's first seasons at Chelsea had their roots in Ranieri's tenure, and Rafa's time as Liverpool boss was not totally independent of the ground work laid by Houllier. I think we're starting from no where, and provided we have enough talent in the squad to amass more points than three teams in the Championship next season, then I think we can afford to hire a manager who can steady a ship and lay ground work.

When Pearson took over at Leicester they hadn't had a manager for more than a season for five years, and they were in League One. That sounds like a club in crisis. We are a club in crisis. Yeah we're bigger than Leicester, but not really worlds apart. Stadiums not massively different, and attendances the same. In terms of footballing, there are many parallels. Can Pearson do what he did at Leicester again? Probably not. Football doesn't really work like that. Can we identify another potential ship steadier like Pearson? Not easily, and certainly not with Randy's track record of picking managers. So I think he's worth a shot. 

I don't think clubs go on to have success after a manager leaves because he was holding them back; I think often the managers prior to those who have great success should get a lot more credit, especially if they have been there for a number of years. 

He's not an objectively superfically attractive choice, but compared to some other Randy appointments, he's relatively inspired. 

• Like 4

Someone said in that case would you take Redknapp.

No.

I am more than happy to throw out the thousand or so words I've written asking for a more balanced view of potential Managers. I am happy to utterly disregard anything I have ever said about anyone or anything if it commits me in any way to having to accept Redknapp.

So much for the rational, balanced, logical approach......

• Like 1

I was initially in the Moyes corner. I'm now having second thoughts. He traditionally starts slow, his last 2 jobs have ended in failure and I think he could be slightly out of touch with the division.

Dyche would probably be slight favourite for me, followed by Bruce & then Pearson

A totally uneducated guess and who really knows how a new manager will do? Ranieri this season being the obvious example.

Moving on ( like moley I'd love to stop going around in circles over Pearson)....I'm concerned over the alleged delay whilst waiting for Randy to confirm the cheque size.

My hopes for our future are almost 100% based on Hollis now being the De Facto bossman.

My only thought is that maybe Hollis had his parameters all sorted with Lerner but the guy they want ( which could only be Moyes or Rodgers if this is so) wants more than was agreed. Maybe there is an insistence that a lot be made available to pay up outstanding contracts for wasters.

I hope and pray it really isn't just the case that we are now, at this late stage, just getting around to waking Lerner up to ask for some cash.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In the ctext that we're talking in, yes he is well thought of. He's many people's favourite for the job.

That might be what you think of, but I bet if Leicester had had a mediocre season this season a lot of people wouldn't have Pearson so highly favoured for our job. Which like I said is quite bizarre.

I disagree and not sure there's much to base it on. 

I think you forget how highly thought of he was when he kept them up. it was seen as a miracle and there were calls for him to be manager of the year. 

It seems pointless brining anyone in now so I'd rather they took a bit more time and see who is available in the end of season managerial merry go around ... Wenger is likely to be looking for a new job so let's see if he fancies a proper challenge :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not convinced by the 'waiting for budgets to be arranged story' I still think we'll wait to the end of the season. 

It is certainly an odd story but in a way that makes it more credible - if you were making something up you'd make up something more likely and more interesting ?

If they are/were waiting I'd hope they would say so.

I think people are very keen to find out what's going on and who it will be and that creates a vacuum that stories flourish in. It's possible that budgets haven't been fixed, but I think we'd have enough of a broad idea to know what we want to do in order to properly inform a manager. The club isn't going to decide to build up £80m worth of new debt on a whim in the next five weeks - we'll have made our financial plans for the year; there'll be some wiggle room, but it seems to me unlikely it's a complete mystery.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think people are very keen to find out what's going on and who it will be and that creates a vacuum that stories flourish in. It's possible that budgets haven't been fixed, but I think we'd have enough of a broad idea to know what we want to do in order to properly inform a manager. The club isn't going to decide to build up £80m worth of new debt on a whim in the next five weeks - we'll have made our financial plans for the year; there'll be some wiggle room, but it seems to me unlikely it's a complete mystery.

I agree.

That's why I thought maybe if they had their man and HE said " I need XYZ above what Lerner decided" is both feasible and would explain it.

However you are probably right and it is just twaddle.

2 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Plot twist: Brian Little takes the job on.

In all honesty i think he'd do a better job than Black as caretaker.  If he won a few games...

That said, I think the club knows what the budget is, Lerner has clearly left it to Hollis to run which means he's not donating any more money so the 'waiting on the budget' idea makes little sense to me.  If it's Pearson I see no reason why he wouldn't be appointed this week.

In terms of timing of the announcement, and I'm not in the know, I wouldn't expect anything until the last couple of games of the season. Why would anyone in their right mind want to put themselves in a place where they have to work with this bunch of losers and get hassle off the fans when we lose. With the attitude and and aptitude of the current squad I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to change anything before the end of the season. So why put yourself in the firing line and have your ability questioned until you have had a chance to clear the deadwood and sign players of your choice.

Anyone who joins villa is going to have the relegation on their CV, I know its already done but history will show they managed Villa as this season ended which nobody wants.

Therefore, I predict its going to be end of the season before its announced.

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Plot twist: Lambo returns!

One of the things I hated most about the Lambert era was how s*** we were in the cups against lower league opposition. Bradford, Orient, Sheffield United, Millwall.

That was the dismal roll call in his three seasons, three of those weren't even championship clubs when they knocked us out.

Under no circumstances should that be an option.

I feel whoever it is has started already. They have been watching videos of training, talking to recruitment staff, has been building the backroom staff etc. The board are probably looking at the budgets and solidifying what the new manager has to play with .

Just not official until end of season. 

I don't believe the waiting to see the budget story. But I could see why we would until the end of the season. We could be waiting to see what happens with the likes of Dyche /Bruce etc. 

Obviously Ian Taylor was with Littlr yesterday, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere before that Taylor is good friends with Dyche and really wants him here. Perhaps he had a word with Little about him.

• Like 1