Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I'd have taken Moyes but never thought he would accept the job as I still think he believes he is better than he is. I don't know what he's waiting? Everton?

This would have been perfect for him to prove how good he was in taking a fallen giant back into the Premier League. But instead he's waiting for an offer that will probably never come. 

Pearson or RDM? Pearson for me. I know he splits the fan base on here but I'm sure that would be forgotten if he takes us to the top of the table. People will say he's a bully but there are far more positive stories out there than negative ones. A lot of people who have played for him or worked with him speak highly of how he operates. 

• Like 3

Fair play to Big Tone if he did offer Moyes the job, even though Hollis suggested Pearson, as reported.

Moyes was/is clearly the stand-out candidate, and the idea that logic has prevailed for once at Villa and we offered the job is refreshing.  

I remember when Mark Hughes was available to Lerner and we ended up with Mcleish or waited 3 months for Houillier to serve his notice period - I can't remember who it was.

Shame if he has turned i down, no idea who we get now.  Unconvinced by Pearson and RDM - Martinez did well building Swansea.

Their is a lot of talk on here about the next manager which is going to be completely irrelevant in 6 months.IF the owner is serious about promotion in this first season the manager he chooses is either doing a good job and has us challenging the top two spots which will keep us all happy,or the manager is failing, were mid table and struggling,therefore he'll be sacked before christmas and we will all be happy.

So its a win win regardless of who he hires.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its disappointing he has withdrew his Interest....but intriguing, as to why?

Its been reported that he doesn't fancy a stint in the lower division......Red Herring that, I suspect, he knew that before the talks.

He has either had a better offer or found something that is not to his liking.

Not singling you out at all here TRO, but a few people have wondered this. However, I don't see what Moyes would have discovered when meeting with Dr. T that Hollis would not have found in weeks of investigations?

I've said it many times but, whilst I don't necessarily trust Hollis to run a football club, I do trust him to do his homework in the sale process. This is Hollis' forte, plus he'll know the Chinese market from working in this region. People that tend to rise to the top in the professional auditing world tend to be sticklers for detail.

27 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Fair play to Big Tone if he did offer Moyes the job, even though Hollis suggested Pearson, as reported.

Moyes was/is clearly the stand-out candidate, and the idea that logic has prevailed for once at Villa and we offered the job is refreshing.  

I remember when Mark Hughes was available to Lerner and we ended up with Mcleish or waited 3 months for Houillier to serve his notice period - I can't remember who it was.

Shame if he has turned i down, no idea who we get now.  Unconvinced by Pearson and RDM - Martinez did well building Swansea.

Pearson did well building Leicester—so much so that they just won the premiership. He's my choice. 

Also, I feel Martinez is overrated. He spent decent money at Wigan, fought relegation every season then actually got relegated. Now he's been found out at Everton. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not really, this is more something made up by the media, and then the rest run with, just like this.

That picture of him with his hands around the throat of one of his own players didn't do him any favours in the nutjob stakes though.

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Pearson did well building Leicester—so much so that they just won the premiership. He's my choice. 

Except they won the league under somebody else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here we go again:rolleyes:

It's true though. Under Pearson they were dreadful for the majority of the season and finished 14th. That's pretty good for a newly promoted side but he played no direct part in their title win and the influence he did have is hard to quantify.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's true though. Under Pearson they were dreadful for the majority of the season and finished 14th. That's pretty good for a newly promoted side but he played no direct part in their title win and the influence he did have is hard to quantify.

I'm no fan of Pearson but his Leicester team were quite unlucky in a lot of those early season games and they at times played very well. He then got them to click and they haven't looked back since. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982 said:

I'm no fan of Pearson but his Leicester team were quite unlucky in a lot of those early season games and they at times played very well. He then got them to click and they haven't looked back since. 

So everyone keeps on saying but I'm not convinced that he had much of a role in them winning the title. By the way, from what I saw of them that season they were pretty awful before that run at the end. I think people are letting that run and the title win cloud their memory of how Leicester performed in the first two thirds of the season.

• Like 1

Yep this for me. They were awful for a good part of the season then pulled a Sunderland and found some form! I don't think Leicester would have won the league with Pearson this season.

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

So everyone keeps on saying but I'm not convinced that he had much of a role in them winning the title. By the way, from what I saw of them that season they were pretty awful before that run at the end. I think people are letting that run and the title win cloud their memory of how Leicester performed in the first two thirds of the season.

I don't know why people look to his performance in the Premier League anyway. Pearson's Leicester bossed the Championship and that's all we need to replicate for now. The fact he kept them in the Premier League is a bonus, but once back there we can potentially recruit from a stronger position (both players and manager).

Our next manager has one target. Get us promoted. 

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You can't argue pearsons Leicester record in championship it's excellent 

Exactly. 

People keep talking like we're in the PL, but his Prem record (which is not bad IMO) is largely irrelevant until we're back there. Once there we can see how it goes, but we'll be better placed to look for an upgrade if we need to.

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

I was just reading an article about how Pearson’s team dominated the Championship.  I am not Pearson's biggest fan but I am starting to think he could do a good job for us - the idea is definitely growing on me. There were a few points that stuck out for me in the article:

1. He rejuvenated the club when they were really struggling; well we desperately need rejuvenating

2. He built success by developing a solid spine in the team; we desperately need that

3. They spent most of the time bossing games playing fast-paced, free-flowing football. Got to be better than our sideways go nowhere crap.

4. The year they got promoted Leicester went 26 games with only one loss; promoted with six games to spare.  Pretty impressive

I know people say it was not all down to him - but he is looking more appealing the more I look.  I reckon he would have learnt a thing or two from his year in the premiership and he will be hungry to prove people wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/07/premier-league-preview-leicester-city

Pearson’s first jaunt with Leicester was quite the ride. He rejuvenated the club after they dropped to Division One and took them back up in style. They won 27 games, lost only four, had the best defence and attack in the league and went unbeaten for 23 games. The success, albeit not as unbridled, continued in the Championship. He brought them to a fifth-place finish and a spot in the play-offs. Once there, they were beaten on penalties by Cardiff. Afterwards Pearson went on holiday only to find out that a consortium were shown around the club behind his back. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out what’s happening,” he said. He resigned and took over at Hull.

There he remained until his return. As with his first time in charge of Leicester, Pearson quickly breathed life back into the club. The end of his first full season saw them make the play-offs again but lose again, in dramatic and heartbreaking fashion to Watford. “I can’t think of a worse way to lose a match like that,” Pearson said. “It can be a very cruel game.” The end of the second season would be a lot sweeter.   Leicester were worthy title winners last season. They took top spot on Boxing Day and there they stayed. They went 26 games with only one loss. They found the net in 31 consecutive league games between November and May; the longest run of the season. They were promoted with six games to spare; they won the title with two games to spare. They broke the 100-point barrier for the first time in the club’s history and recorded the second highest Championship winning total (alongside Newcastle). Only Derby scored more goals and no side had a better record at home or away. The success of Pearson’s side has been built on a solid spine. Kasper Schmeichel is an ever-present and consistent force in goal. His rapid reflexes and shot-stopping skills helped him keep 18 clean sheets in 46 games last season and he shunned interest from other clubs (rumoured to be Milan and Arsenal) to sign a four-year contract in the summer. In front of Schmeichel, is Wes Morgan who comes from the Steve Bruce school of centre-backs. He dominates proceedings in the air, rarely loses a tackle and has few qualms about putting a body part where others would not put their worst enemy. Together the two marshalled a miserly defence; only Brighton and Burnley conceded fewer goals.

The article goes on...........

Really interesting read that, seems there is much more evidence in favour of Pearson than immediately springs to mind. Certainly more than I knew about off hand. 

Coaches or not, he ultimately takes the credit for his achievements. He deserves a shot at a "big" club no doubt. 

I still think he's a massive, massive prick mind you.