Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

29 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

This would be the Nigel Pearson that spotted Marc Albtightom was good enough when virtually everyone at Villa seemingly missed it. I don't understand the need to have a nice person as a manager, clough & Ferguson weren't lovely blokes. For me it's about can they do the job and I have more faith in Pearson than RDM to do it.

I think Villa knew he was good, but sometimes players get in their comfort zone and a little uncertainty, fresh perspective and change of scenery does good for a player. They can become stale - look at Gabby, way too far into his comfort zone. 

On 22 May 2016 at 19:53, Vive_La_Villa said:

Everton wernt boring under Moyes they were just direct and hard to break down. No matter who was playing them it was never a banker for any team. 

I think a few thousand on the blue half of merseyside might challenge this view?

agree 100%

18 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I think Villa knew he was good, but sometimes players get in their comfort zone and a little uncertainty, fresh perspective and change of scenery does good for a player. They can become stale - look at Gabby, way too far into his comfort zone. 

One significant difference for me- Albrighton can play- Gabby meanwhile!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

To be honest on reflection.. i think this makes it 2nd or 3rd time moyes has turned us down. I say screw him. I dont want no manager that feels he is too good for us three times.  Barring Everton he has failed everywhere else afterwards.

He isnt guardiola. Would rather have someone like pearson who would genuinely want to manage us and doesn't feel he is above the club.

I'm really happy at this news- didn't want him then and don't want him now. 

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

One significant difference for me- Albrighton can play- Gabby meanwhile!

Gabby used to be able to play, he had a good few seasons. Physically both gifted players, mentally Albrighton has more verve and desire to succeed - Gabby thinks he is a legend :D

5 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

Can we just appoint Pearson. For the last 5 years we've appointed people who the fans have thought would be right. None of them have done any good. What the **** do we know

Yep couldn't agree more, let's just get it done and allow the guy time to prepare for next season. I see no reason to stall- if we don't move quickly I can see Derby having a sniff for him.

• Like 4

I m actually despairing this morning. In life you can look at all things that might go wrong, I I loose my job, ill loose my house, my marriage will break up, - you can follow a worse case scenario path. 

So when we appointed Bernstein \ King sacked garde, reasonable managers were available , I didn't really mind any of them, Moyes, Pearson, Bruce, even Mick ! - some I preffreed more than others obviously - but all of those had the grit I felt needed to at the very least stop the rot. The new board seemed to to want a manager who could put the basic in place .

Then the new board collapsed, but Hollis assured us there would be a cut off point where he would put his manager in place - strongly rumoured to be Pearson. But now that looks unlikley, we seem to be going back down the tiipy tappy continental approach - with RDM - whilst he is a well decorated manager, so far as I am ware - he has never restructured or rebuilt a club in the way we need - he's totally the wrong guy for us . 

That a new owner - whilst what he promises sounds fantastic - its seems that less than a week in he has credibility problems, in that a good whack of people just plainly don't beleive what he is saying.

RDM - will come in - flounder, but we will be assured that because he 'walked into a mess' - and 'its toxic' - which we all now , so why not appoint a bloke with the character to put that right?

I can't believe how we have skilfully avoided all the good options - to be where we are this morning - you really couldn't make it up 

25 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I can't see Everton fans accepting that but it probably explains why he "didn't want to be rushed". 

Thought exactly the same when saw the article. His first choice now may be Everton but Villa need someone committed and ready to work now. 

So appears to be down to Di Matteo and Pearson. Moyes was definitely first choice for me but if he is going to dither about it no thanks, we need to move quickly. Definitely not keen on Pearson but if he is manager I will get behind him and lets just get on with it. 

Couple of curve-balls though seem to come to mind though: 

Warnock - don't particularly like him BUT has an excellent record in the Championship. Also from what I read the reason he didn't stay at Rotherham is that they need a couple of years before challenging to get Premier League which he couldn't commit to. He is looking to retire next year or 2. Maybe get him in to get us up and then passes the reigns onto someone else to take the next steps? If that was the intention then maybe... 

Giggs - itching for management by the sounds of it. If he does well, Man Utd will always be linked and every time the manager changes he will be linked. If he does good enough he will get that job, it is too strong a pull. Only 4 games in charge at Man Utd (W2 D1 L1) so very inexperienced at managing first team football however seems to want to go that route. Clear that serious questions are being asked whether he is happy to work with Mourinho. Could Villa be the right club to make that step into management? 

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Yep couldn't agree more, let's just get it done and allow the guy time to prepare for next season. I see no reason to stall- if we don't move quickly I can see Derby having a sniff for him.

Although Hollis is flavour of the month - he should have appointed Pearson weeks back. If the new owners don't like him, than can deal with it when they become the decision makers at the club. 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Note to Moyes: 

Taylor at Villa, Mourinho at Chelsea, countless other examples. 

Never go back. 

Eddie Howe at Bournemouth.

Guus Hiddink at Chelsea.

Errrrrr..........

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Rumours circling the net that Pearson will turn us down. We are a total joke of a club at the moment aren't we? 

Yes - you can see why he would decline it. as soon as Dr X takes over Pearson will feel he doesn't have his full support. It was a mistake by Hollis to appease the potential new owner by delaying. We should have been planning for next season takeover or no takeover. 

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Rumours circling the net that Pearson will turn us down. We are a total joke of a club at the moment aren't we? 

Is it because Xia is Asian?! :detect:

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

Getting rejected by Moyes is not good news at all and does not reflect well on Xia IMO. 

I don't really think it reflects badly on us at all. We tried to show ambition and get a manager who's out of our grasp, he's turned us down. Was to be expected. 

If Pearson turns us down that's a different matter.

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

These are all pitfalls of relegation and take overs. If all goes to plan a lot of the managers will rue the day for turning us down in our darkest hours when we are a desirable Top 6 club again. I hope that Xia is keeping a note of every manager that could realistically take the job that turns us down in our time of need, if we're not worth their time now then they don't deserve to manage us when we're on the up and up. 

• Like 1