Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

So its being reported that Pearson is now ready to reject our advances.

Well .....It is getting interesting.

Edited by TRO

Pearson probably putting that out to try and force their hand. It's quite clear now that he is nothing more than the fall-back option for Dr. Xia and his people. 

Anyway, he has no cards to play. He has no better offers and knows this is the best job he'll ever get. As Hollis basically revealed, he would've jumped at this job even if Lerner had remained. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. There seems to be this myth going round that leicester played really well all of last season and were just desperately unlucky for most of it.

It's nonsense. They were shite. They lost twice to us for **** sake, and I didn't see an ounce of fight in either of those games :D

They were excellent at the end of the season and fair play to them and Pearson for that. But let's not re-write history. They were crap for the rest of it.

Yes but its amazing in itself that they didnt require a change of manager to change their fortunes. They could have easily folded like our players this season. Even with a new manager bounce.. our players just gave up. Pearson got a reaction out of them at the end of the season to get them up. Says alot about the type of players he brought in and his management style imo. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Getting rejected by Moyes is not good news at all and does not reflect well on Xia IMO. 

Massively disagree on that. For all we know Moyes was rejected and hes leaked this out to the press to save face. Maybe the Dr met him and wasnt impressed by his monotone voice. Maybe a few of the younger managers impressed more. Moyes maybe doesnt have the appetite for a promotion push or doesnt believe he can get the job done. Theres so many reasons for it.,.. we cant just assume that its the new owners fault. Now if we start getting rejected by Pearson and Di Matteo and we end up with Tim Sherwood again...... then yes maybe. Lets not jump the gun just yet. 

Besides.. we are in the championship now and these managers are getting offers from Lazio or other premier league clubs. We dont know what they have been offered. A few Premier League clubs looking for new managers. Villa in the state we are in... is a hard sell. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KSV said:

For all we know Moyes was rejected and hes leaked this out to the press to save face.

Come on KSV, you can't honestly believe that to be the case? 

We shouldn't be a hard sell if the overtures from Xia are to be believed - solid investment, a desire to change things quite dramatically for the better and the chance for a manager to leave his print on all of this. Any manager with a modicum of self-belief should think that they'll have a decent chance of getting us up on the first attempt and for Moyes, whose reputation isn't that great at the moment given his recent failings, to turn it down does not look good IMO. 

27 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Come on KSV, you can't honestly believe that to be the case? 

We shouldn't be a hard sell if the overtures from Xia are to be believed - solid investment, a desire to change things quite dramatically for the better and the chance for a manager to leave his print on all of this. Any manager with a modicum of self-belief should think that they'll have a decent chance of getting us up on the first attempt and for Moyes, whose reputation isn't that great at the moment given his recent failings, to turn it down does not look good IMO. 

Why not? Maybe Xia wasn't a fan. Maybe he was already sold on Di Matteo .

some things are not adding up..if the new owner was going to put in place a plan to make avfc this super power ala top 6 Premier League / out the champ/ funds/ stadium etc etc

why is a coach like moyes who stock has dropped fail at utd & sacked from spain b side..turn us down,

i really wanted moyes as it would sent the right signals to every one were going to be back to a top6 outfit..

now we read pearson is saying no..something is just not right

3 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

some things are not adding up..if the new owner was going to put in place a plan to make avfc this super power ala top 6 Premier League / out the champ/ funds/ stadium etc etc

why is a coach like moyes who stock has dropped fail at utd & sacked from spain b side..turn us down,

i really wanted moyes as it would sent the right signals to every one were going to be back to a top6 outfit..

now we read pearson is saying no..something is just not right

They could just be getting better offers. It's also a very big high pressured job to take on. 

A few of people i work with said just because have a new rich owners villa is a poison chalice. They said we will struggle to get anyone big as your no Newcastle and the fans turn on the manager after a bad result. How i would love to shove their words down their throat!

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Getting rejected by Moyes is not good news at all and does not reflect well on Xia IMO. 

Just like when moves turned down Lerner after O'neill left ? 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Moyes would never have come to Villa Park under Lerner, where the remit would have been getting us up with the exclusive use of a shiny brass ring, a cabbage patch doll and $1m in cash. The fact we got him to interview (allegedly) with the promise of some real backing is IMO a small positive. The reports with no quotes in it said he didn't want to be rushed and we're in a hurry to sort out the shitfest Lerner left us in.

We need to get someone in, so we can then build the football side of the club back up consulting them and supporting them. Moyes would have been good, RDM is a decent shout and Pearson would probably be effective. 

This would be the Nigel Pearson that spotted Marc Albtightom was good enough when virtually everyone at Villa seemingly missed it. I don't understand the need to have a nice person as a manager, clough & Ferguson weren't lovely blokes. For me it's about can they do the job and I have more faith in Pearson than RDM to do it.

• Like 1

I see people saying that Pearson's attitude and press conference crack ups, show that he's the tough character we need.

To me it's the complete opposite, it portrays him as weak minded, cracking up under pressure. Losing control of the situation, something these tough great managers of the past never did.

That is not what we need at all and I just have that same feeling it would be a recipe for disaster, as I did when we appointed Sherwood.

8 hours ago, John said:

Small Heath have never and will never win the FA Cup so I guess McLeish won it in his dreams as did the knuckle-draggers.;)  

Good point, my mistake, carling cup. He won something, that was my reasoning 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Moyes would never have come to Villa Park under Lerner, where the remit would have been getting us up with the exclusive use of a shiny brass ring, a cabbage patch doll and $1m in cash. The fact we got him to interview (allegedly) with the promise of some real backing is IMO a small positive. The reports with no quotes in it said he didn't want to be rushed and we're in a hurry to sort out the shitfest Lerner left us in.

I think the "didn't want to be rushed" comment is key.  At the moment Tony Xiu is still not our owner and still has to pass the fit and propper test.  That and there are a few negative articles, mostly unfounded, questioning the credentials of our new mystery man.  I suspect Villa wanted Moyes to accept the job offer before that is rubber stamped and he felt uncomfortable doing so.  I can see both sides - we need a manager in place quickly (11 weeks now) and he thought it was too much of a risk.  Like others have said Moyes has turned us down a few times so forget him - I think it really is his loss in this case and, as others have said, we need a manager who wants to be here and build something. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I see people saying that Pearson's attitude and press conference crack ups, show that he's the tough character we need.

To me it's the complete opposite, it portrays him as weak minded, cracking up under pressure. Losing control of the situation, something these tough great managers of the past never did.

That is not what we need at all and I just have that same feeling it would be a recipe for disaster, as I did when we appointed Sherwood.

Fair enough. But this stuff about press conferences does not tell us the full story - it is not even the most relevant information about him as a manager.  As far as i can tell he had a very good relationship with his players and his record in the championship in terms of results is very good - I think he's never been outside the top 5 in three attempts and in the last time he was there he had Leicester promoted with six games to spare.   I would feel reasonably confident that we would, at the very least, make the play-offs next year with Pearson, definitely promoted within two. Given where we are i would take that.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-gossip-real-reason-11375933?

Toffees bound?

David Moyes has his eyes set on an emotional return to Everton.

The former Goodison Park boss is on the shortlist to be interviewed by the Merseyside club and it would explain his reluctance to take the job at Villa Park.

Moyes, who was in charge at Goodison from 2002 until leaving for Manchester United three years ago, is likely to be a popular choice with chairman Bill Kenwright.

David Moyes David Moyes

However, the Toffees' new major shareholder Farhad Moshiri is believed to want a bigger and different name, which could make Moyes an outsider.

There is no doubt that the chance to finish the job he started at Goodison Park is the reason that Moyes stalled on Villa.

He would walk over hot coals for the Everton job.