Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

31 minutes ago, dubbs said:

The man has the reputation of being a bully. Not a hard man, a bully and there's a huge difference. 

Of course there is a huge difference, but in some quarters Ron Saunders was deemed a bully and if you Listen to NRC, Martin O'Neill was a bully.

To my knowledge the Leicester players and staff spoke highly of him....so I'm not sure of the validity or the significance of the claim that many folk roll out.

I think the fans that are in favour of him are not just looking at that side of his persona, they are looking much broader than that.

I would equally be pleased with Moyes.....but if I wanted to be derogatory I could cite his last 2 jobs as less than impressive.

I have no problem any fan being opposed to having Nigel Pearson as our next manager was does miff me a bit is the desperate attempt they use to prove their point.....I just don't buy it.

The game is littered with unsavoury incidents from Brian Clough and Eric Cantona to Alan Pardew and Paulo Di Canio.....its a fiercely competitive contact sport, its emotive and passionate.....things happen that shouldn't.

Lets value the man perspectively.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree with pretty much all of this except your picking of two average Championship managers - one of whom isn't a manager, hasn't managed other than as a caretaker and doesn't want to and the other of whom has a better and more proven record than two of the managers you'd be happy with.

But....

Everything else I agree with. I hope it isn't Pearson, if we're going that route I'd rather we went for Warnock. I'd take Di Matteo, but I think you're right, there's a lot of work that needs to be done and we'll need to get started sooner rather than later.

Whoa.... so we're just going to let that dangle out there are we?

:o;)

• Like 3

Warnock has something like 8 promotions on his CV

He admits himself he's not a premiership manager but he's good at getting teams promoted and knows the championship inside out

I'd prefer him over Pearson he said in a recent interview with sky sports that he prefers to manage in the championship so when he gets us promoted we can part on good terms

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

I am not saying for one minute that I want Neil Warnock as our next manager....but he does have something, pragmatism probably.

But I would sooner listen to his version of what football is all about than some of the numpties we have had.

some of the things he comes out with....if we had of taken them on board, we wouldn't be where we are.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Everton notoriously spend very little money compared to others clubs (certainly under Kenwright).  Moyes took them to 6th and moved on - they've gone backwards since he left.  Mental if Everton fans think the club should be top 4.

But they had the odd season of indifference in between and the game has moved on I doubt he'd get top 6 now. And he spent virtually £20 million every other season, admittedly not fantastic amounts but a decent amount really for a stable club with good youth.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/05/john-carver-misses-aston-villa-job-newcastle-united/

News

John Carver misses out on Aston Villa job

Aston Villa are down to a short list of two for the manager's job but John Carver has somehow missed out after applying for the post.

john carver
3 hours ago by Jim Robertson
  •  

John Carver has been out of the management game since his disastrous spell at Newcastle United in the second half of last season and that looks still to be the case after he missed out on the Aston Villa job.

David Moyes had been installed as favourite after reports that he had had talks with Villa, only for the media in the West Midlands to confirm today that Moyes had decided the job wasn’t for him.

That is now said to have reduced the three man shortlist to two but John Carver isn’t one of those two names.

Instead the job is said to rest between Roberto di Matteo and Nigel Pearson, with the former Leicester Manager and Newcastle assistant boss the new clear favourite.

Appearing on Radio 5 Live last month, John Carver revealed that he had applied for the vacancy left by Remi Garde at Villa Park.

Edited by It's Your Round

1 hour ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Has there been any actual quotes from Moyes or is it all "we understand" type reporting 

I don't think there will be anything public from moyes, because there is nothing official to decline. I think there has been enough reported, from a range of outlets to suggest that he has in fact withdrew his interst.

I for one am pretty gutted,but I am unsure if its  moyes the manager or moyes the name that I am most disappointed about loosing out on. I feel we are craving out for a high profile name to most importantly give the club a much needed lift, but also to instill a bit of an interiority complex on our championship competitors, something benitez will undoubtedly provide newscastle should he stay.

Pearson and rdm may well do a very good job for us but psychologically I'd much rather come up against their teams in the championship than a Moyes team. I would expect that would have been worth a few points within itself.

52 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Warnock has something like 8 promotions on his CV

He admits himself he's not a premiership manager but he's good at getting teams promoted and knows the championship inside out

I'd prefer him over Pearson he said in a recent interview with sky sports that he prefers to manage in the championship so when he gets us promoted we can part on good terms

And probably 10 relegations.....

Conspiracy theory! Moyes is the next manager but has agreed with Tony to say he turned it down. Odds on Moyes shoot back out again and Tony whacks that £480m cheque he was showing off on him. Moyes accepts and Tony puts every bookie in the country out of business as China doesn't like gambling (new fact learnt today) whilst also making himself richer than Ellison. This was agreed with Randy and is why he rejected Oracle.

• Like 2

Its disappointing he has withdrew his Interest....but intriguing, as to why?

Its been reported that he doesn't fancy a stint in the lower division......Red Herring that, I suspect, he knew that before the talks.

He has either had a better offer or found something that is not to his liking.

• Like 1

I was just reading an article about how Pearson’s team dominated the Championship.  I am not Pearson's biggest fan but I am starting to think he could do a good job for us - the idea is definitely growing on me. There were a few points that stuck out for me in the article:

1. He rejuvenated the club when they were really struggling; well we desperately need rejuvenating

2. He built success by developing a solid spine in the team; we desperately need that

3. They spent most of the time bossing games playing fast-paced, free-flowing football. Got to be better than our sideways go nowhere crap.

4. The year they got promoted Leicester went 26 games with only one loss; promoted with six games to spare.  Pretty impressive

I know people say it was not all down to him - but he is looking more appealing the more I look.  I reckon he would have learnt a thing or two from his year in the premiership and he will be hungry to prove people wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/07/premier-league-preview-leicester-city

Pearson’s first jaunt with Leicester was quite the ride. He rejuvenated the club after they dropped to Division One and took them back up in style. They won 27 games, lost only four, had the best defence and attack in the league and went unbeaten for 23 games. The success, albeit not as unbridled, continued in the Championship. He brought them to a fifth-place finish and a spot in the play-offs. Once there, they were beaten on penalties by Cardiff. Afterwards Pearson went on holiday only to find out that a consortium were shown around the club behind his back. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out what’s happening,” he said. He resigned and took over at Hull.

There he remained until his return. As with his first time in charge of Leicester, Pearson quickly breathed life back into the club. The end of his first full season saw them make the play-offs again but lose again, in dramatic and heartbreaking fashion to Watford. “I can’t think of a worse way to lose a match like that,” Pearson said. “It can be a very cruel game.” The end of the second season would be a lot sweeter.   Leicester were worthy title winners last season. They took top spot on Boxing Day and there they stayed. They went 26 games with only one loss. They found the net in 31 consecutive league games between November and May; the longest run of the season. They were promoted with six games to spare; they won the title with two games to spare. They broke the 100-point barrier for the first time in the club’s history and recorded the second highest Championship winning total (alongside Newcastle). Only Derby scored more goals and no side had a better record at home or away. The success of Pearson’s side has been built on a solid spine. Kasper Schmeichel is an ever-present and consistent force in goal. His rapid reflexes and shot-stopping skills helped him keep 18 clean sheets in 46 games last season and he shunned interest from other clubs (rumoured to be Milan and Arsenal) to sign a four-year contract in the summer. In front of Schmeichel, is Wes Morgan who comes from the Steve Bruce school of centre-backs. He dominates proceedings in the air, rarely loses a tackle and has few qualms about putting a body part where others would not put their worst enemy. Together the two marshalled a miserly defence; only Brighton and Burnley conceded fewer goals.

The article goes on...........

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

Just now, AshVilla said:

I think you missed the part where i said only good in the championship and parting company when were promoted

No I read it, but I felt the point was so relevant I would say it anyway. 

He probably has as much chance promoting us, as getting us relegated. I would say 50/50