Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

21 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

It amazes me that people are that adverse to any of the three front runners for the job. I can understand preferences but to think any of the names would be an appalling gamble is ridiculous.

We're talking about managers who've had success in the Premier League, or Champions League. We're talking about managers who have managed Man Utd and Chelsea.

We're a CHAMPIONSHIP team. Let's be little realistic here, any of those three names are somewhat of a coup for us in our current position. Yes the future maybe brighter now no Lerner, but we still need to try and get promoted next season.

I was expecting the likes of Black, Bruce or another average Championship manager, any of the three names above would be pretty decent. Forget the argument that a manager needs Championship experience (you can get it by doing it, would Mourinho be unsuitable because has none?) and forget the idea a manager may have a glass ceiling of the top 6 in the Premiership (managers rarely last more than three years anyway and it's not a pressing concern this season).

Personally my preference goes Moyes, Di Matteo then Pearson but beggars can't be choosers and that list is still very impressive considering out CURRENT status. Moyes is a name that would be included in most Premier League team's interview list for vacancies.

I just hope it gets done so the real work can start - squad overhaul. You could argue that with the possibility of a large transfer kitty being available the choice of manager is less important as we won't need every purchase to be a raging success and we hopefully won't need to keep slacking players.

I want the new guy in this week. Let's get going...

Very good post.

I would go Pearson/Moyes equal favour and then Di Matteo....but I most certainly agree with your comment on the three.

Just to add a point.....I thought it was interesting of Neil Warnock to say ironically Villa don't need to spend that much money, what they are in dire need of is "Characters" to get them out of that division and they don't necessarily cost fortunes.

Ps However,The right manager for us is crucial.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

I'm not even sure Guardiola could unite Villa fans. 

No experience in the championship, doesn't understand English football, to soft to manage the egos at the club - next

• Like 2

Just don't think Pearson is the right man to reunite the dressing room / fans. The man has the reputation of being a bully. Not a hard man, a bully and there's a huge difference. 

Still haven't heard any other names linked though. 

21 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

It amazes me that people are that adverse to any of the three front runners for the job. I can understand preferences but to think any of the names would be an appalling gamble is ridiculous.

We're talking about managers who've had success in the Premier League, or Champions League. We're talking about managers who have managed Man Utd and Chelsea.

We're a CHAMPIONSHIP team. Let's be little realistic here, any of those three names are somewhat of a coup for us in our current position. Yes the future maybe brighter now no Lerner, but we still need to try and get promoted next season.

I was expecting the likes of Black, Bruce or another average Championship manager, any of the three names above would be pretty decent. Forget the argument that a manager needs Championship experience (you can get it by doing it, would Mourinho be unsuitable because has none?) and forget the idea a manager may have a glass ceiling of the top 6 in the Premiership (managers rarely last more than three years anyway and it's not a pressing concern this season).

Personally my preference goes Moyes, Di Matteo then Pearson but beggars can't be choosers and that list is still very impressive considering out CURRENT status. Moyes is a name that would be included in most Premier League team's interview list for vacancies.

I just hope it gets done so the real work can start - squad overhaul. You could argue that with the possibility of a large transfer kitty being available the choice of manager is less important as we won't need every purchase to be a raging success and we hopefully won't need to keep slacking players.

I want the new guy in this week. Let's get going...

I agree with pretty much all of this except your picking of two average Championship managers - one of whom isn't a manager, hasn't managed other than as a caretaker and doesn't want to and the other of whom has a better and more proven record than two of the managers you'd be happy with.

But....

Everything else I agree with. I hope it isn't Pearson, if we're going that route I'd rather we went for Warnock. I'd take Di Matteo, but I think you're right, there's a lot of work that needs to be done and we'll need to get started sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Has there been any actual quotes from Moyes or is it all "we understand" type reporting 

I haven't seen any and have been wondering the same. I'm always suspicious of news articles with no direct quotes. 'News' gets regurgitated so much that within a day everyone is reporting the same thing, and with no real evidence.

8 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Has there been any actual quotes from Moyes or is it all "we understand" type reporting 

Yeah, Talksport & BBC Understand!