Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't really think it reflects badly on us at all. We tried to show ambition and get a manager who's out of our grasp, he's turned us down. Was to be expected. 

If Pearson turns us down that's a different matter.

If the noises made by Xia are true, then there is no way Moyes should be out of our grasp. That is what worries me.

If these guys are going to piss us around too much ( changing their minds and cant make up their minds ) then maybe we should look somewhere else ?!

How about Ian Holloway or Guus Hiddink, he took Australia to the knockout stage in the world cup so surely he would not feel put out to take on a team in a lower division, especially one that promises funds,ambition and a desire to succeed.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

If the noises made by Xia are true, then there is no way Moyes should be out of our grasp. That is what worries me.

Money cannot change the mindsets of those that consider Championship to be below them. 

People have short memories Everton although always there or there ablout in the top ten were always a team that stopped playing for two months of a season. they could have done much more but always stalled. the football they played was dour as well. When he left Everton the fans were happy.

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We might have money to spend, doesn't mean Moyes will instantly want to have a season in the Championship though. He will get offers in the Premier League.

Moyes has to pick his next move very carefully, if he messes it up he's going to really struggle to get work in the Premier League again. Maybe it's not that he has reservations about Xia, but he doesn't back himself to succeed at Villa? 

If he came to Villa with a £40m transfer kitty in the Championship and didn't get us promoted his reputation would get slaughtered. Maybe he's frightened of that happening? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, VillakevBromsgrove said:

People have short memories Everton although always there or there ablout in the top ten were always a team that stopped playing for two months of a season. they could have done much more but always stalled. the football they played was dour as well. When he left Everton the fans were happy.

Not defending Moyes, but I have never understood peoples logic with regards to teams like this. "His teams notoriously start slow" etc.... do you think a manger has periods where he says to players, foot off the gas next couple of months fellas.

• Like 1

Moyes wasn't up for it - and if he is fancying going back to Everton it's because he knows the place and sees it as the easier route - sounds like he is shot as a manager and glad he's not coming.

Much as I don't fancy Pearson without his team, there is still the fact that he got that team together in the first place so I am coming round to him given the available options.  I would have loved us to throw big money at Warburton or Dyche to tempt them here, but given where we are let's just get Pearson done and get on with building for next season.

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Note to Moyes: 

Taylor at Villa, Mourinho at Chelsea, countless other examples. 

Never go back. 

Didn't Mourinho win the league with Chelsea when he came back? What about Redknapp at Portsmouth, didn't he keep them up and win the FA Cup? 

Not saying it would be a good move for Moyes or Everton, I completely agree with you, but it's not a "one size fits all" situation. 

3 minutes ago, VillakevBromsgrove said:

I fail to see this "Everton could do much more" thing.  Moyes took them to, basically, their peak.  I know Martinez managed to take them a whole position higher, to 5th, in his first season - but that's basically the same area.

They aren't a top 4 team. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On another note, does anyone think Garde would have done well with money to actually get players he wanted?

Probably. I don't think Garde was as tactically inept as he looked. He was about as tactically inept as Sherwood looked and I refuse to believe both are as bad as they appeared. The thing they both shared in common was the same lot of players. I think had Garde been given a chance to swap out some of the poorer players he may have done better. 

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

If these guys are going to piss us around too much ( changing their minds and cant make up their minds ) then maybe we should look somewhere else ?!

How about Ian Holloway or Guus Hiddink, he took Australia to the knockout stage in the world cup so surely he would not feel put out to take on a team in a lower division, especially one that promises funds,ambition and a desire to succeed.

Absolutely 0000000000000000% chance of Hiddink. He's a top quality manager who always earns a fortune, no chance. 

Also I read he's staying on at Chelsea and going upstairs. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On another note, does anyone think Garde would have done well with money to actually get players he wanted?

Personally, yes.  Well - I guess it depends what you mean by "well", but I think he's got all it takes to be a decent manager and would've certainly improved Villa substantially.

Just now, Daweii said:

Probably. I don't think Garde was as tactically inept as he looked. He was about as tactically inept as Sherwood looked and I refuse to believe both are as bad as they appeared. The thing they both shared in common was the same lot of players. I think had Garde been given a chance to swap out some of the poorer players he may have done better. 

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I fail to see this "Everton could do much more" thing.  Moyes took them to, basically, their peak.  I know Martinez managed to take them a whole position higher, to 5th, in his first season - but that's basically the same area.

They aren't a top 4 team. 

Didn't Everton once finish 4th under Moyes?

He really did take them to a level beyond their stature, albeit for a fleeting moment.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

Didn't Everton once finish 4th under Moyes?

Yeah - think so.

Just like Leicester "once" won the Premier League*.

* - Evidently, Leicester could go on to really great things.  My gut feeling is that they won't be top 4 next season.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes.  Wrong time for him IMO.  (and wrong squad).  I think he'll go on to be a good manager.