bringbackbigron

11 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

My Grandad used to tell me about chats with Brian over the counter in the club shop after Brian retired as a player.  A different world!

And true gentleman. My dad met him and Ron Saunders at BMH, years ago and had nothing but praise for both of them. They don’t make many like thst these days, although I can think of a gentleman from Spain………..

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mantis said:

There are genuinely few names I can think of associated with Villa who deserve to have a stand named after them *less* than Doug Ellis. Brian Little certainly would be much more deserving.

I think you are being a tad harsh if I may say so.

we all know that Doug was Doug and his ego came before him. But despite this I do think that Villa mattered to him, more than his other excursions into football imo.

I wouldn’t say he doesn’t deserve a stand named after him, we have had worse owners - but I certainly agree that there are many more deserving villans to have a stand named after them. As I’ve previously said Paul McGrath would be my preference 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 13:43, baldivisvilla said:

My first game was Norwich at home in 67. Best ever Villa player in those 54 years in my opinion. Goal that sticks in my mind is the 2nd goal v Sunderland April 75 at a packed 57000 Villa park.

I was at that game as a 10yr old. I remember we got a penalty and they asked Jimmy Coombs if he wanted to take it as that would have meant every player in the team scoring a goal that season. They're must have been 25'000 in the Holte. It was a beautiful sunny day too, fitting for the occasion. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thoroughly enjoyed hearing from Brian on “Quickly Kevin Will He Score”. Some lovely stories, well honed from his book and speaking engagements no doubt. Nice to see his achievements being recognised on this podcast:

Series 13 Episode 9

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/quickly-kevin-will-he-score-the-90s-football-show/id1209129231?i=1000637373704

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I was hoping he would be asked about buying Collymore. Curcic and Collymore - man we really bought the wrong players in after 1996.

good old Curcic, he was really meant to be that missing link to take us to the next level wasnt he.

i remember being excited when we signed him.....

blimey.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 19:48, Adam2003 said:

For my mental health could threads about anyone over 60 include ‘(not dead)’ in the thread title so I don’t panic when they are bumped?

Imagine being the more schmuck that has to remove "not" from all those Villa legends. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

good old Curcic, he was really meant to be that missing link to take us to the next level wasnt he.

i remember being excited when we signed him.....

blimey.

Curcic was one of my favourite players back then and I was really happy when we signed him, but it wasn’t to be. When we signed Collymore I remember fergie saying he thought Villa would be the main challengers to United .

• Like 1

Collymore was a strange one. Bags of talent but why would Liverpool sell him to us. They must hsve known he had baggage. Curcic was signed as an upgrade to Tommy Johnson I think. Who'd had a good season but ended up being a downgrade. 

We were on the verge of something great under Little but unfortunately we signed the wrong players 

Curcic was one of the worst signings we have made as a club during the past 60 years, if not the worst. He looked a world beater before he came to Villa Park and like Stan he could have been an outstanding signing. Sadly the money and the fee went to his head. Football and Villa really didn't matter to him. :angry:

Thinking about Curcic, I don't think Brian had a particularly good track record of signing foreign players. Most of his players were British based. I suppose Brian was managing us at an inflection point for the Premier League.

Savo and Fernando Nelson were as successful as it got. Having said that, I think most managers would have struggled with Curcic. 

23 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Thoroughly enjoyed hearing from Brian on “Quickly Kevin Will He Score”. Some lovely stories, well honed from his book and speaking engagements no doubt. Nice to see his achievements being recognised on this podcast:

Series 13 Episode 9

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/quickly-kevin-will-he-score-the-90s-football-show/id1209129231?i=1000637373704

What a wonderful player, manager and man. I’ve told a story on here before how my Dad met Brian and Ron Saunders at BMH, I don’t bore you all again but both men were absolute gentlemen and both a credit to our incredible football club. Brian was my favourite player growing up and also gave me some wonderful moments when he came back to manage us. I can add that a couple of Christmases ago my wife bought me a signed copy of his book, “My Aston Villa” but the first copy arrived unsigned, so she emailed the publisher and Brian personally replied and apologised then sent a signed copy. He also follows her company now. Sums the gentleman up completely. What a gent, what a Villan. He still watches us and I’d like to think we and him can be very happy in the near future. We’re blessed to have a man like him at the club in any capacity! UTV and long live Sir Brian  Little. Player, club shop assistant, first team manager, fan, truely one of our own in every way. Thank you Brian! ❤️❤️❤️. I’m sure he can still walk on water too! Would you want to bet against him?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

What a wonderful player, manager and man. I’ve told a story on here before how my Dad met Brian and Ron Saunders at BMH, I don’t bore you all again but both men were absolute gentlemen and both a credit to our incredible football club. Brian was my favourite player growing up and also gave me some wonderful moments when he came back to manage us. I can add that a couple of Christmases ago my wife bought me a signed copy of his book, “My Aston Villa” but the first copy arrived unsigned, so she emailed the publisher and Brian personally replied and apologised then sent a signed copy. He also follows her company now. Sums the gentleman up completely. What a gent, what a Villan. He still watches us and I’d like to think we and him can be very happy in the near future. We’re blessed to have a man like him at the club in any capacity! UTV and long live Sir Brian  Little. Player, club shop assistant, first team manager, fan, truely one of our own in every way. Thank you Brian! ❤️❤️❤️. I’m sure he can still walk on water too! Would you want to bet against him?

Love this post, Dave. I grew up watching his Villa team and I have a real soft spot for him (I won’t go into the memories but I can’t help but listen to him and be taken back). 

I think he’s far too humble in saying that he took the ideas of Ron Saunders and ran with them: Little’s Villa team had a style of its own. I think his teams reflected his attitude towards life: solid, honest, workmanlike, but with a dash of magic that made us special. 

Would love to see us lift a trophy soon and for him to be there when we do. Unai thanked Dean Smith in that sky sports interview; I’d like to see him and Brian Little standing as the two managers who have most recently brought us trophies. 

I was thinking of getting a copy of his book (missed out when it came out) and the interview confirmed it. 

4 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Thinking about Curcic, I don't think Brian had a particularly good track record of signing foreign players. Most of his players were British based. I suppose Brian was managing us at an inflection point for the Premier League.

Savo and Fernando Nelson were as successful as it got. Having said that, I think most managers would have struggled with Curcic. 

Curcic was signed from Bolton though and he looked good there

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Collymore was a strange one. Bags of talent but why would Liverpool sell him to us. They must hsve known he had baggage. Curcic was signed as an upgrade to Tommy Johnson I think. Who'd had a good season but ended up being a downgrade. 

We were on the verge of something great under Little but unfortunately we signed the wrong players 

Michael Owen was coming through and teams didnt really have squads then, he probably was too expensive to be 3rd choice

• Like 1

Â