bringbackbigron

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re absolutely correct about Brian, a true Villa man. He probably had sumilar faults to Dean in that he was too nice as a man nevertheless he did great for us as a player (brilliant) and also a manager. If it was more recently a league cup win and qualify for the CL, he’d have a statue by now. Unfortunate timing I suppose, but never the less very very good manager and an awesome player, probably my favourite growing up. He was also an absolute gentleman a real credit to the club as well as a loyal servant. Perhaps name the new North stand after him? I’d support that idea. Or change the name on the Witton Lane?  The Brian Little Stand sounds great and gives him the recognition he deserves and never really got from his country. Brian loves our club and has done for a long time like a lot of us. I may start a campaign! Any support for the idea? 

The William McGregor stand?

I think we have too many great and significant players and managers to name any stand after. Including George Ramsey, Ron Saunders, Charlie Aitken. You can make arguments for so many influential figures to be celebrated.

It's mad that everyone celebrates McGregor as the founder of the Football League and our first chairman but it was Hughes, Price, Matthews and Scattergood that actually founded the club. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I was worried when I saw this thread...................phew !

Me too…I almost didn’t open the thread to delay me hearing any more sad news….thank god it wasn’t!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re absolutely correct about Brian, a true Villa man. He probably had sumilar faults to Dean in that he was too nice as a man nevertheless he did great for us as a player (brilliant) and also a manager. If it was more recently a league cup win and qualify for the CL, he’d have a statue by now. Unfortunate timing I suppose, but never the less very very good manager and an awesome player, probably my favourite growing up. He was also an absolute gentleman a real credit to the club as well as a loyal servant. Perhaps name the new North stand after him? I’d support that idea. Or change the name on the Witton Lane?  The Brian Little Stand sounds great and gives him the recognition he deserves and never really got from his country. Brian loves our club and has done for a long time like a lot of us. I may start a campaign! Any support for the idea? 

I am not so sure about the too nice bit, I felt that Brian did possess a ruthless streak when it was needed.

I do agree that he loves the club and is a legend without question. 
Personally I would probably prefer a stand to be named after Paul McGrath - but acknowledge their is just a rizla paper between preferences.

I loved having him as our manager, I think his first game was a Sunday v Sheff wed ?

I recall a banner in the Holte proclaiming “ Brian’s home “ said it all really.

• Like 4

I saw him walking by the North Stand before a game in our promotion season. I said “omomgod, bffftian little, worra lechend”….because I’d just taken a huge bite of a cheeseburger. He gave me a polite smile and did a double take because I had onion and mustard on my chin. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was on the Holte that day. BL and JG walked to the dugout with Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back in Town" blasting over the PA. The whole place went nuts. 

Perhaps one for the boring thread, but it’s weird that people said “on the holte” when it was terracing but would probably say “in the holte” now it’s seated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I am not so sure about the too nice bit, I felt that Brian did possess a ruthless streak when it was needed.

Personally I would probably prefer a stand to be named after Paul McGrath - but acknowledge their is just a rizla paper between preferences.

I loved having him as our manager, I think his first game was a Sunday v Sheff wed ?

We just haven't got enough stands have we? Pity the one that we did actually name, was named after a former chairman (whose name escapes me) rather than someone like Eric Houghton, Peter McParland, Charlie Aitken, Brian, Ron Saunders or Paul.  

image.png.c25ce17673370b7a1f6ed9393bec0891.png

Edited by John
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2023 at 20:04, ChesterDad said:

Yes he possibly could be ruthless when it was required but generally he was a very nice fella and gentleman. He could also walk on water!!

• Thanks 1

I wrote him a letter upon his retirement and got a reply. Just loved him as a player and as a manager.  He was finished at 26. So many players then had knee injuries that shortened their careers. Shaw and Leonard another two. 

On 02/11/2023 at 12:39, John said:

We just haven't got enough stands have we? Pity the one that we did actually name, was named after a former chairman (whose name escapes me) rather than someone like Eric Houghton, Peter McParland, Charlie Aitken, Brian, Ron Saunders or Paul.  

image.png.c25ce17673370b7a1f6ed9393bec0891.png

There are genuinely few names I can think of associated with Villa who deserve to have a stand named after them *less* than Doug Ellis. Brian Little certainly would be much more deserving.

• Like 3

Â