bringbackbigron

It sounds like he probably has applied for the position as it has been reported elsewhere too. The reason I posted about it in the first place was, as someone else has pointed out, he recently said he thought he would be staying on after the takeover. Just wondered why the seeming change in direction? 

4 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

It sounds like he probably has applied for the position as it has been reported elsewhere too. The reason I posted about it in the first place was, as someone else has pointed out, he recently said he thought he would be staying on after the takeover. Just wondered why the seeming change in direction? 

Where did he say that? I missed it.

46 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Where did he say that? I missed it.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-new-aston-villa-board-11376559

Club legend Brian Little is expected to play a part in Aston Villa's future under Dr Tony Xia.

The 62-year-old former Villa player and manager will be called upon by the Chinese businessman in times ahead as the club seeks an immediate return to the Premier League.

Xia will make sweeping changes in the Midlands if his takeover is approved. 

Little, who has acted as an advisor in recent months, will still be around to assist, though.

"But the trouble for me is to keep away now.

“And I’d be disappointed if I’m not kept on (past the end of this season).

“I would probably cry!

“I would love to stay for a while and help Villa improve. That’s what I’m hoping for.”

I had it slightly wrong in my head in him actually saying he'd like to stay on. But another article yesterday in the Bham Mail stating he is expected to stay :

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-club-legend-brian-11427592

The board advisor was today linked with the vacant managerial role at Port Vale but is expected to stay at Villa. 

an Little will continue to offer his support to Aston Villa following the appointment of Roberto Di Matteo.

The club legend is expected to stick around for the next few months in his advisory role and will assist new owner-in-waiting Tony Xia if needed.

Little, who was today linked with the vacant Port Vale job, has enjoyed returning to top-level football and still harbours ambitions of managing again in the future.

His immediate focus, though, is on Villa as the claret and blues plot an assault on the Championship title.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2016 at 19:06, allani said:

Wasn't the main part of his initial brief to help with the search for a new manager?  (Or am I making that up / misremembering?)  

I don't think anyone really knows what his role was/is. 

Surprised he has stuck around as long as he has - given that he is on record as wanting a British manager, and weve appointed an Italian - with Italian coaching staff. It would seems his views were largley ignored. I don't see BL sticking around as a 'yes' man - he might stay short term, but I would be surprised if he was here come the turn of the year.

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

Surprised he has stuck around as long as he has - given that he is on record as wanting a British manager, and weve appointed an Italian - with Italian coaching staff. It would seems his views were largley ignored. I don't see BL sticking around as a 'yes' man - he might stay short term, but I would be surprised if he was here come the turn of the year.

Do you not think the remit changed with the takeover? The call for an English manager (was this even quoted from Little or the footballing board?) was when we could be stuck with Lerner, coping with the crap in the squad and feeding of scraps.

Some things will be the same, but presuming Dr X is who he says he is then a lot has also changed.

13 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Do you not think the remit changed with the takeover? The call for an English manager (was this even quoted from Little or the footballing board?) was when we could be stuck with Lerner, coping with the crap in the squad and feeding of scraps.

Some things will be the same, but presuming Dr X is who he says he is then a lot has also changed.

No I heard little on the radio say it. 

On 6/4/2016 at 18:32, sharkyvilla said:

If he's interested in managing then it makes it all the more weird why we didn't have him step in as caretaker instead of that idiot Black.

Maybe he didn't have time to be caretaker manager seeing as he is actually employed by us to do a different job.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Di Matteo has been involved in British game for 20 years except a spell at Schalke. he is close as it gets to British in football terms

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

The club has to be careful how it handles his `resignation'. But I suspect it will happen reasonably soon. There seems to be no need for his remit now, however vague it might have been.

He could have a different remit if he wants to stay? Offering 20 years + of management  advice to a fairly inexperienced manager? A middle man between the coaching staff and the board? Assisting with Cowans in the overall youth development- the first coaching role he had at Villa?  A 100% claret and blue ambassador on the board to help heal the massive gulf between the board and the fans since 2010? Like the Lions clubs for example?

It think it is up to Brian, if wants another crack at management then good luck to  him. If he doesn't he should be offered a permanent place on the board asap.Like Charlton at United or Lorimmer at Leeds for example.

I know people love Brian on here, but I can't imagine he has a lot of managerial advice for Di Matteo. 20+ years managerial experience, the vast majority of it being unsuccessful, with no high level experience in the last 18 years, if there's stuff he has to teach RDM, I'm worried. He's a relic.

I can't imagine there's a lot he learned at Gainsborough Trinity or Wrexham that's going to help us.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hippo said:

It's no secret that Hollis and the old board looked at Pearson and at the time he was ideal for us but with the takeover RDM and Moyes came into the reckoning with Xia choosing RDM this isn't a slight on Little and I don't think he cares either way as long as it's the right appointment. I hope he can be kept on in some form even an ambassadorial role. He loves the club and that's priceless. 

10 hours ago, hippo said:

What exactly did he say Hippo? I wonder if this may have been an issue in the King & Bernstein resignations?

My feeling is that a new owner is perfectly entitled to have the final say on who is/was appointed. I'm not sure that this will mean BL can't work under the new regime. His job is to advise-The final decision must always rest with the owner. I see BL's role more to be involved with helping the managerial and coaching staff in any case.

I think that BL has plenty to bring to the table still and his experience is invaluable. I thought it interesting to read Stan Collymores comments that Brian has a ruthless streak in him. he comes across as such an all round nice guy. I sincerely hope BL has a role to play moving forward.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I know people love Brian on here, but I can't imagine he has a lot of managerial advice for Di Matteo. 20+ years managerial experience, the vast majority of it being unsuccessful, with no high level experience in the last 18 years, if there's stuff he has to teach RDM, I'm worried. He's a relic.

I can't imagine there's a lot he learned at Gainsborough Trinity or Wrexham that's going to help us.

He knows the club, he knows football, he knows what Villa fans want and he has their respect in I would now guess 99.9% of cases. RDM could do worse than seek his opinions on players we have as well as those he might want to consider bringing in. I find your use of the term "relic" inappropriate when talking of a Villa legend.   

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Di Matteo has been involved in British game for 20 years except a spell at Schalke. he is close as it gets to British in football terms

I think we both know that is not what they meant. 

25 minutes ago, John said:

He knows the club, he knows football, he knows what Villa fans want and he has their respect in I would now guess 99.9% of cases. RDM could do worse than seek his opinions on players we have as well as those he might want to consider bringing in. I find your use of the term "relic" inappropriate when talking of a Villa legend.   

He has the respect of the fans, rightly, and he knows the club, you're right. He'd be perfect for some sort of fan liason or club ambassador position. But the idea that a bloke who has been away from high level football for almost 2 decades should have a say on our player recruitment scares the shit out of me. He's done **** all since he left us as manager, he should be nowhere near the business end of the club.

• Like 2

Â