bringbackbigron

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

He has the respect of the fans, rightly, and he knows the club, you're right. He'd be perfect for some sort of fan liason or club ambassador position. But the idea that a bloke who has been away from high level football for almost 2 decades should have a say on our player recruitment scares the shit out of me. He's done **** all since he left us as manager, he should be nowhere near the business end of the club.

I think Brian could do a job for us on the board or by continuing in his present advisory role. There may be times when RDM might want the option of being able to turn to him for some advice (he did after all sit through our last few games which RDM did not). We clearly have very different opinions of Brian and what he might now offer to the football club he served so well as a player, manager and most recently as an advisor when it would have been all too easy to quit a difficult position at a difficult time. I hope he stays on in some capacity we have been too ready to dismiss Villa men in the past that may have had much to offer. But the decision will not be for either of us to make.    

Little Extends Villa Spell

Consultant and all round good egg Brian Little has confirmed he has extended his role at Villa Park amid speculation he will be given a permanent position when Dr Tony Xia's takeover is completed.

The man who walks on water has been quoted by the Stoke Sentinel confirming that he held talks with Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite over a potential Director of Football role at the club - but he didn't actually apply for the position, preferring instead to continue his work at Villa Park.

'I had a chat but didn`t officially apply. There was talk about a director of football and I had a chat to him but that is as far as it went. I`ve spent a bit of time as a director of football in Jersey and it is something I would like to get into in a longer term. It was great to speak to him, he knows if I can help in any way I will. I am just down the road and am a contact for him. I have a role with Villa and have extended that.'

What that actual extension is remains to be seen, it could be a wider role or simply just an extension of time.

Whatever it may be though, the last few days has seen plenty of speculation that Little's position at the club could be made permanent when the takeover goes through fully and that would not be a bad thing at all.

A Director of Football position with his experience and knowledge of the game, formulating a real ethos and playing style from kids up for the future could only be an asset in my mind.

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7520948

• Like 4

On 7 June 2016 at 20:10, Butterfingers said:

What exactly did he say Hippo? I wonder if this may have been an issue in the King & Bernstein resignations?

My feeling is that a new owner is perfectly entitled to have the final say on who is/was appointed. I'm not sure that this will mean BL can't work under the new regime. His job is to advise-The final decision must always rest with the owner. I see BL's role more to be involved with helping the managerial and coaching staff in any case.

I think that BL has plenty to bring to the table still and his experience is invaluable. I thought it interesting to read Stan Collymores comments that Brian has a ruthless streak in him. he comes across as such an all round nice guy. I sincerely hope BL has a role to play moving forward.

It all depends on what it is he is advising us on.....It would follow that the RL regime clearly displayed a need for his services, in view of the bizarre footballing decesions made.

The new regime may be (hopefully) better served football wise and Brians in put less required.

However, Brians role may change, but still as valuable in guiding Tony X In all things Aston Villa and the affect his plans may have on the fan base.

In short Brians advice may change slightly, but still as valuable.

I feel much more comfortable having a guy like him around....lets just hope he is treated with respect.

• 5 years later...
3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

got to that age where you see this thread upped and think "oh shit!"

I only know him as manager - first manager really for me as I wasn't too focussed when big ron was here, so always fond memories. 95/96, what a season

I know what you mean about the bumped thread - always a nervous moment, especially as Sir Brian is the same age as me! Watched him from the start of his career, and he was a phenomenal player. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

got to that age where you see this thread upped and think "oh shit!"

I only know him as manager - first manager really for me as I wasn't too focussed when big ron was here, so always fond memories. 95/96, what a season

Yeah my first thoughts too. Book sounds interesting. Like you, Brian Little was just a manager to me, so would love to read about his history at the club.

Brian still one of my managers of choice from the 90s, that guy kicked ass. I always liked listening to him talk and has been a positive influence with many at this club and throughout the game.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I know what you mean about the bumped thread - always a nervous moment, especially as Sir Brian is the same age as me! Watched him from the start of his career, and he was a phenomenal player. 

Same here, heart skipped a beat and a sense of foreboding. Really think 'phenomenal' does not do him justice but a good starting point 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't think there are many people who have served so many roles at one club like Brian.

Youth player, player, running the club shop, youth coach, manager, and now as advisor to the board. Should be an interesting read.

Legend 

• Thanks 2

Â